Blog Comments

Sorry about 2018, Nick, and I'm glad you didn't give up. I hope you have a great 2019 -- it sounds like you're getting back on track. (I also hope your Dad gets to see you finish)
    >My buddy says he can do it with lighter fluid and a match.

Gonna take a bunch of lighter fluid on a tire that size, IMO.

I'm rooting for you! "Git-R-Dun", buddy!

I also like "I'm not quitting, I'm reloading"

try imgur, postimages, wordpress, blogger. I can't even get to my photos on photobucket. good luck.
    thanks for keeping it real. so easy for folks not actually going through it to romanticize the whole process. its WORK. its not simple or easy.
    hilarious post! you have a real way with words
    wow Nick. sounds like you really scored. how much did you end up paying, if you don't mind me asking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosseyme
    we didn't have to because our logs peeled pretty easy, but I have heard others say soak em down good when you are starting to peel it. That it is easier to peel a wet log.
    Would love to have that option, but unfortunately we don't have water yet. Logs are getting much easier to peel by the week though. Thanks for the tip regardless. Maybe I'll be able to try that after the garage is done and we start on the house. By that time I'll have a well put in.
    we didn't have to because our logs peeled pretty easy, but I have heard others say soak em down good when you are starting to peel it. That it is easier to peel a wet log.
    I would add "wear long sleeves" to your list. I couldn't figure out how I got sunburned after welding for a few hours in the shed one cloudy day.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    This is really cool looking. You did a good job, I'd say.
    Thanks! I'd say a labor of love, but it was a lot more painful....
    This is really cool looking. You did a good job, I'd say.
    Excellent! You cleared that hurdle.
    Quote Originally Posted by twh4
    Wow! That is genius with the building supply company. Great work. Wish I thought of that. How did you go about asking this building supply company to modify your plans?

Keep it up glad to see you progressing!
    Wish I could take credit for thinking of it, but it kind of just landed in my lap. I have a good friend who works there as a manager and I called him up for recommendations on someone who might be able to help me with the plans. I didn't even know they had a division that handled them themselves. The irony is I would have bought supplies from him anyway. He's been headhunted away from other major building suppliers and said it was a fairly common practice but most of them will want some sort of agreement or else a refundable deposit. Since he knows me, I don't have to worry about that.
    Wow! That is genius with the building supply company. Great work. Wish I thought of that. How did you go about asking this building supply company to modify your plans?

Keep it up glad to see you progressing!
    Nice work, Nick. We look forward to meeting you at the class in February.
    Quote Originally Posted by twh4
    Hey Nick, what kinds of trees are those? They're not Eastern White Pine are they?
    Red Pine. Easiest to find and least expensive. Getting them for $2.50/ln ft
    Hey Nick, what kinds of trees are those? They're not Eastern White Pine are they?
    looks like you'll never be hungry out there. (carry a big gun).
    Quote Originally Posted by mudflap
    those are beautiful!
    We think so too Mudflap. The thing that got us real excited was how the logger was pointing out different trees and telling us how this one he would pick for us, and this one he wouldn't. So he wouldn't just grab the first 40 trees in the plantation but rather go through and pick out as he called them "perfect house logs". He spent a great deal of time pointing out different positives/negatives of each tree as pertains to log home building. He also builds log homes himself via the scribing method and was very enthusiastic to learn about our process. Honestly I was surprised to find a guy like this still exists in a large business - he actually cared about getting us what we were looking for even though it's not a large profit for him I'm sure. At the end of the meeting, we settled the deal on a handshake! He wouldn't take even a down payment until as he put it, "until I deliver you what you asked for". We expect delivery in December.
    those are beautiful!
    wow. that's a lot of rocks! clean them up and sell them. anyone wanting distinctive rocks in their yards pay a pretty penny
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast