PDA

View Full Version : acid rain

A. Dacks
05-22-2012, 06:30 PM
is there concern with collecting "acid rain" runoff from roofs/catches with intentions on consumption? i ask because i live in upstate ny and have always heard the bad airs from around the great lakes blows our way and comes down as acid rain.

rckclmbr428
05-23-2012, 05:44 AM
catch some and have it tested, most people use rain catchment water for flushing toilets, washing clothes, showers, etc. then run well water or treated water through to the faucets

spiralsands
05-23-2012, 07:51 AM
Acid rain was formed primarily by coal and oil burning power plants. The chemistry of combustion by-products and water combine to form the acidic rain. It's not from bad lake air. My daughter and I tested the ph of the rain in FL and it was more acidic than tap water too. Acidity can be neutralized but there can be more contaminates than that in runoff water. If you intend to consume runoff water you must have it well filtered and treated for bacteria contamination. On your roof you will have bird matter, decayed plant matter, dirt, chemicals. That type of water colllection is fine for irrigation but not for drinking or bathing unless it is well filtered and treated.

Here 'upstate', as short as 30 years ago, it used to be safe to drink straight from a stream coming right out of the ground. Not any more because of the possible contamination with certain types of bacteria and pollution due to runoff from human developement and industry.

A. Dacks
05-25-2012, 10:18 AM
the lake air i mentioned was having to do with all the industy factories in the great lake area.i should of made that clear. would some type of sediment type filter get the water to a state of being able to wash with. and are there any know alges that would /could be use to purify the water to be able to drink it, instead of a chlorine or bleach. those are some crude ideas, but would they be worth doing to save run time on the well pump.