PDA

View Full Version : Tough Driveway/Anyone in NY???

nylogman
12-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi All,
I am going to take the class in winter '06, and had a question regarding access to my home site. The driveway/road winds up a steep mountain w/ little room for a truck bigger than a large pickup to turn around. My question is; Can logs big enough to buid a large home be brought to site via pickup truck? If so, how? Also, anyone from the NYC or Catskill area attend class. Would love to work w/ someone nearby after I take class.
Thanks Alot!

chadfortman
12-11-2005, 04:01 PM
You could always do it the slow way. Drop the logs in one pile at the bottom and then take one log off at a time and drag it up the hill.
Most the loads are no more then 25 to 35 logs.
I am also building in the mountains but there allready home there with a gravel road.
Divide and concer

rreidnauer
12-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the LHBA forum nylogman.

You should easily be able to skid logs with a pickup, provided the gravel on the drive isn't too terribly loose. Skip had used some fairly small vehicles to succesfully move logs. If required, drag friction could be reduced, for example, by lashing the end of the log to a car dolly. A bigger concern is, since you say the driveway winds up the mountain, can your logs make any sharp corners. If not, you might have to resort to something like a drag line used in earlier days of logging, and go straight up the mountainside. Creativity may be required. Worst case option would be to have them lifted in by helicopter.

Sit back and think about it, and let us know what you come up with.

ChainsawGrandpa
12-11-2005, 06:30 PM
Taking the class, huh? Wait 'till you see Skip's
driveway. Then take a look at the logs on the
house! I'm thinking if Skip could have the logs
delivered to the site then just about anything is
possible. Long steep dive, huge logs.

-Rick

Ellsworth
12-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Taking the class, huh? Wait 'till you see Skip's
driveway. Then take a look at the logs on the
house! I'm thinking if Skip could have the logs
delivered to the site then just about anything is
possible. Long steep dive, huge logs.

-Rick

And his driveway is 1000% better now than it was back in the late 70s early 80s :wink:

It is amazing what a good logging truck driver can do with his rig.