PDA

View Full Version : Getting whole logs?

Rising C
12-11-2005, 08:36 AM
Hello, I have been researching the possibility of building my own log home and I am pretty much looking forward to attending one of the classes during the first part of next year (along with my wife). The only reservation I have is the availability/cost of attaining whole logs from a lumber company. I will have no problem getting a reasonable amount of land to build a home but a large tract that can be logged is out of the question due to skyrocketing prices where I live. Also, here in Southeastern Michigan, our native woods are mostly hardwoods without much in the area of pines, spruce or hemlocks. Has anyone had to purchase their logs and if so, was it a reasonable amount? I know that prices vary by location and species but any experiences that could be shared by those who have done it would be appreciated. I guess I'm really just looking for the reassurance that getting logs will not be much of a problem or a ridiculous price before I take the next step and sign up for the class.
Thank you for your time and help, Chris.

Basil
12-12-2005, 05:37 AM
My logs averaged 42 feet long, all were yellow poplar. Some of them were over 50 feet long.

I averaged $100 per log. YMMV by the connections you can make by applying what you learn in class. the class isn't just about building-it's about how to acquire the materials, how to deal with loggers/subcontractors/haulers, and all the other things that you have probably not even considered to be a part of the building process.

Rising C
12-12-2005, 06:14 AM
Thanks for sharing your experience...I am definitely going to sign up for the class and learn what I need to know. I eagerly await the day that I can live in a house that I built with my own two hands.

Peace, Chris.

dbtoo
01-24-2006, 07:28 AM
My logs averaged 42 feet long, all were yellow poplar. Some of them were over 50 feet long.

Basil, how many logs did you use? Are there any pictures of your place on the LHBA site? (If so, can you post that link?)

What is the configuration of the home you built? What did it approx. cost?

Thanks.

Basil
01-25-2006, 09:39 AM
I used approx. 80 logs for a 36X36 house and a 30X20 bedroom addition to the back. I'm not done building yet as the roof is taking forever. My foundation cost $9000, logs $8000 site prep and driveway cost about $1200, logs delivered for $600, rafters $3700, 5/8 T&G OSB for roof sheathing $3000, lumber for floor beams and other work $1000, hardware (hangers, J bolts, seismic anchors, threaded rod, bolts, nails, etc) $1000, 4 pallets of asphalt shingles $600, Rent of 6000 pound lift (4 weeks) $4500, Rebar $850 (I got a little to much of that!). Those are expenses just off the top of my head with round figures. I still haven't finished the roof yet and have no interior at all, so that gives you an idea of how expensive it is just to get a roof over your head. Also, I haven't even started the roof on the bedroom addition yet!

dbtoo
01-25-2006, 09:44 AM
Awesome, thanks.
How long have you been working on it? Are you doing it by yourself? Any pictures you can share?
Thanks again.