PDA

View Full Version : for you all who are ultra-light guys...

StressMan79
03-25-2012, 07:02 PM
...I found this link that says you can wash your chlothes by manually agitating this bag with soap and water...Lots cheaper than going to the Laudromat, and more convenient.

http://dsc.discovery.com/gear-gadgets/perfect-for-backpackers-scrubba-is-a-washing-machine-that-fits-in-your-pocket-video.html

a pretty good idea. I'll bet we will all be doing laundry like this as china/india/every place else wants to get our standard of living... BTW, I meant nothing by this, except to say there are 5 billion people aspiring to own a car and fly on airplanes... and only so much resources to go around.

loghousenut
03-25-2012, 09:39 PM
I was born in Libya in 1954. My Mother had never been anywhere in her life but Oregon and one trip to Redding, California before being hustled off to that miserable hellhole (her words) to have two Son's and then be forced to wash every one of those poopy diapers on a washboard. I still own the washboard. Just thought I'd toss it in to remind us that it's not out of the question to wash our clothes by hand.

PS... In my Brother's case it was a lot of poop per diaper and there was a frequency issue.

Mosseyme
03-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Interesting begining LHN, share the rest sometime if willing.

BoFuller
03-26-2012, 08:40 PM
PS... In my Brother's case it was a lot of poop per diaper and there was a frequency issue.

You promised you wouldn't tell. :mad:

loghousenut
03-26-2012, 09:31 PM
You promised you wouldn't tell. :mad:

You leave me crying on the stairs and you expect me to respect your belching bowels? Ha! Don't get me started on the odor. Any more from you and I'll be forced to mention what grade you were in!

HahhhaaahhhahahhHA!

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using Tapatalk

BoFuller
03-27-2012, 06:51 AM
you leave me crying on the stairs and you expect me to respect your belching bowels? Ha! Don't get me started on the odor. Any more from you and i'll be forced to mention what grade you were in!

Hahhhaaahhhahahhha!

Sent from my t-mobile mytouch 3g slide using tapatalk

rotflmao :d

Peach1956
04-06-2012, 02:41 PM
I have decided that everything that has a computer chip, also has a programmed self destruct date. We bought a whirlpool wash/dryer set in 2005. in the fall 2011 they both died within a week of each other. The cost to replace the control boards on both of them $1000 +. We found an older set (used) that has mechanical controllers for $300 and saved ourselves $700. From then on I'm doing my best to buy non computerized equip. The convenience of electronics has its price.

edkemper
04-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Peach,

Preaching to the choir. Not long ago we were talking about how hard it is to still be able to buy a stove with a pilot light instead of the auto lighting. At least we can still work on non-electronic devices.

ChainsawGrandpa
04-09-2012, 07:56 AM
Thanks for the link, Peter!

I recently had an emergency and ran out the door with my backpack. Nothing like actual last-minute emergency use that shows the chinks in the armor. Since that adventure I re-invented my backpack. It was far too heavy, and lacked a few essentials. Also I found my pack at a great price. I couldn't pass it up. It also happened to be camo. For some reason people are scared of camo. Worse yet I was hitch hiking in a rainstorm. Since I didn't pack a poncho my wife gave me her umbrella... polka dot. Not a good combo. Hard to get a ride. People would just drive past and stare. I probably looked like Wally Cox does Rambo.

I'm thinking of adding the Scrubba to my pack, which by the way has shrunk considerably since that episode. The new pack is much smaller and yes, (ugh!) camo. At least I can cover it with a poncho and not scare people.

G'pa

ChainsawGrandpa
04-09-2012, 08:07 AM
Got to thinking... maybe I should post "How to select and load a pack", and the contents of my pack. Would that be of (useful) interest to anyone here? Not sure if such a topic would be of enough interest to people on this forum. A loaded pack can cost $400, and if you decide to shop a little and then start trimming weight, a loaded, small seven day pack can easily run $2,500 and even more. It's a disease.

Here I am looking at buying light-weight equipment, and researching hiking routes when at this time in my life I should be thinking about sitting in a nice log built rocking chair in front of the fireplace. I guess I can wear-out, or rust-out. I'm also planning on a new mountain bike. Maybe sixty is the new fifteen... NOT!

G'pa

BoFuller
04-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Got to thinking... maybe I should post "How to select and load a pack", and the contents of my pack. Would that be of (useful) interest to anyone here? Not sure if such a topic would be of enough interest to people on this forum. A loaded pack can cost $400, and if you decide to shop a little and then start trimming weight, a loaded, small seven day pack can easily run $2,500 and even more. It's a disease.

Here I am looking at buying light-weight equipment, and researching hiking routes when at this time in my life I should be thinking about sitting in a nice log built rocking chair in front of the fireplace. I guess I can wear-out, or rust-out. I'm also planning on a new mountain bike. Maybe sixty is the new fifteen... NOT!

G'pa

Go for it. I hear so much crap about being too old to do this project. I suppose it's good though, as it just makes me more determined.

loghousenut
04-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the link, Peter!

I recently had an emergency and ran out the door with my backpack. Nothing like actual last-minute emergency use that shows the chinks in the armor. Since that adventure I re-invented my backpack. It was far too heavy, and lacked a few essentials. Also I found my pack at a great price. I couldn't pass it up. It also happened to be camo. For some reason people are scared of camo. Worse yet I was hitch hiking in a rainstorm. Since I didn't pack a poncho my wife gave me her umbrella... polka dot. Not a good combo. Hard to get a ride. People would just drive past and stare. I probably looked like Wally Cox does Rambo.

I'm thinking of adding the Scrubba to my pack, which by the way has shrunk considerably since that episode. The new pack is much smaller and yes, (ugh!) camo. At least I can cover it with a poncho and not scare people.

G'pa

You don't drop a tease like that and just waltz quietly in to the night. Let's hear the first and last part of this story, Gramps.

exsailor
04-09-2012, 09:28 AM
G'pa,
I would like to see your back pack load out and even went to start it for you, but didn't see an appropriate forum slot to put it in. I defer to members to place such a subject.

BoFuller
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
You don't drop a tease like that and just waltz quietly in to the night. Let's hear the first and last part of this story, Gramps.

Ditto. (Ditto twice to satisfy 10 required characters)

ChainsawGrandpa
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Here's a brief update.

My new pack is a cheap (don't go that route) knock-off of a Maxpedition Falcon-II.
The Falcon-ll is a fine pack but don't buy cheap copies. Also the Knock-off is just
too small. Right now I'm looking at replacing my new smaller knock-off pack with:

*Eberlestock Skycrane 79
*Arc'teryx Axios 50
*Osprey Atmos 50

The Eberlestock is rugged, the Osprey a better fit to my needs and a nice support platform,
and the Arc'teryx is a better made light pack. So far nothing is a perfect fit for me. What-
ever I choose it will be a compromise.

As for loading the pack; there are a lot of tricks to save a lot of weight and not do without.
Since time is at a premium I'll have to elaborate on that later. Hand lotion and foot cream
in a straw are a cool trick. I'll have to tell about that.

A few weeks ago I got a call from my wife,
"We're all fine. Nobody's hurt, but the car is totalled."
She was driving in a torrent and someone ahead of her had lost their load. She hit the debris
with her right rear tire, shifted sideways and hit the side of a semi truck trailer. I grabbed my
pack (which I always keep loaded) and headed out the door. I met-up with them about two
hours later. Since I'm prone to just taking-off (she always warns me, "Stay put! I'll be there to
get you and don't start hitch hiking!") she asked if they could continue on and if I could just hitch
a ride back home. Not what I really wanted but my guess was that I could be home a lot faster
if I would just start walking. She handed me a polka dot umbrella to go with my camo pack (it
for all the world looked like a 1960's radio pack from Vietnam), and I stood at the highway entry
ramp and scared passers-by for about twenty minutes. Got a ride to the top of the mountains
where I stayed for five hours. Finally convinced someone to give me a ride and they only lived a
short distance from me so they dropped me off at my door.

That adventure prompted me to really modify my pack and contents.

Hope to post a "what and why list" of my pack in a few weeks. Also, a pack needs to have a contents
list kept with the pack. I have the list and most all the contents but not the time to list it right now.
My big camo pack is about 70 liters. Much too big. The bigger the pack, the more you want to shove
into it (buy the smallest pack you can afford:rolleyes:). My Falcon ll copy is just slightly too small. It looks like
a 50 liter pack should suite me just fine, and if it's just a little too big I can alway add more food.

G'pa