PDA

View Full Version : Rocket Stove Outdoor Shower

Longhare
11-09-2011, 09:15 PM
I came across this great outdoor shower while I was Googling for info on "donkey showers." (Anybody heard of those? A friend who spent time in Africa told me about them.)

Anyway, this rocket stove outdoor shower would make a GREAT addition to Peter's site...:o

Check it out here:http://permaculture.org.au/2009/09/01/the-rocket-powered-shower/

StressMan79
11-12-2011, 01:05 PM
indeed louanne, something like this would make living in the sticks more bearable. I plan on an insulated box with 55 gallon drums (2 or 3) and a reflecive "lid" on the side that closes at night to reinforce the double pane windows (the weak part of the deal). In a couple days, I'll have more than 100 gallons of 120 deg water. For living, I'll then run this through an on demand HWH, so it will basically be a preheater, but won't require much gas to run.

...Now all I have to do is figure out how to actuate the door to close at night, and open during the day. Of course I could just run a motor/switch off of a solar panel, but how big of panel and then closing (tight) when the sun went away is not a simple design.

Longhare
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
That sounds like terrific idea. How about a solar operated greenhouse shutter, set to open and close based on temperature? Here's one example I found: http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/prod1;gs1_cooling_fans-gs1_shutters_vents_louvers;pg105109.html

What about the idea of using old non-working water heaters painted black? They would come with a built in pressure relief valves, and would already have inlets and outlets plumbed.

StressMan79
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
that is kind of like what I was thinking, but 77 degrees is way too cool as a close. I was thinking that if the intensity of the sun got too low, then the shutter close, rather than the temp. stay tuned for my design in the member's section.

Longhare
11-14-2011, 11:10 AM
I later looked around a little more on that website and there were a couple others that had higher temp ranges (one was 120). There were some different designs that might be more helpful, more like a hydraulic door opener.

Can't wait to see your design.

ChainsawGrandpa
11-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Here's a design I've kept refining.
About 80,000 btu, and 6 gpm.
Because a shower uses less than six gpm the waste heat could be blown off the pipes and used as a space heater for the shower area.

Well, that didn't work.

My file is now so small I can hardly see it.
Hey Louanne, PM me if you would like a copy of the refined rocket stove boiler. I designed it for my needs (space heating) but the water jacket also allows it to heat water for bathing, hot tubs, or whatever.
I designed the boiler, then started refining it after (cart before the horse) I read Ianto's book.

G'pa