PDA

View Full Version : gravity water tank for plumbing

Jason Self
10-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I hop to start on my cabin in north colorado in the sping I have no water and no electricity I would like to have plumbing in the winter the temps up there will be around 0 deg. F all winter long I plan to have a water tank up the hill from the cabin for in the summer I want to know what to do in the winter I think I might be abile to have a garden hose go from the tank to the cabin and just disconet it from the house after use of the water in the winter and have to blow out the inside plumbing with air when I leave the cabin and that will be a very big Pan inthe Ass!!! so any help would be great!! thanks!!

ChrisAndWendy
10-19-2005, 06:19 PM
If I were going to live in your location I would bury my water tank plus pipe system below the frost line. If the hill is high enough you may be able to get away without pumps as gravity would take over. Otherwise a hand pump from a second holding tank in the house or under the house would work. If you do it all in plastic you should not have any problems with cracked pipes. The plastic pipe will give a little if frozen. Good Luck Chris.

Ellsworth
10-19-2005, 06:52 PM
Hi Jason, one of our members designed and installed a system very similar to what you're describing.

You can view a diagram of his system at http://home.mindspring.com/~kahle11/waterpln.gif Really a neat little system, I hope this gives you an idea of what's possible :)

Jason Self
10-20-2005, 04:43 PM
thanks for the great info I will definatly use that design if I can shell out the money to get a backhoe out to the property thatnks!! I also though I could put in a shut off valve @ the frost line with the tank and hose above ground and then use the tank inside the cabin only in the winter by putting a water tank just above the toilet so at least the old lady will not [complain]!! what do you guys think?