PDA

View Full Version : Class Expectations???

BKB
10-12-2005, 08:53 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering what I should expect for the class this weekend. Are there things I need to know about before I go so I can be better prepared?

Any heads up on something you forgot to ask or do during the class?

I am looking forward to this weekend and don't want to miss out on anything because I wasn't prepared.

I'll be driving up from Renton and I was thinking of going through Duvall.
Up 405 then 520 over to Duvall.
Anyone been that way and give me a heads up on whether or not to go that way.

Thanks,

Brian

rreidnauer
10-12-2005, 10:01 AM
That's the way I came up from SeaTac, on my way into Monroe, and it's a quick and easy method of getting there. Traffic really lightened up once past Redmond, and I could enjoy the ride much more. It didn't really take any longer that way, than running up the 522 to Monroe. (which I used on my return to Seattle)

As far as what to prepare for, you might want to hop on the stairmaster for a bit and get toned up. :wink: :lol: :!: You'll understand once you get there.

dkdrules
10-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Hello,
I have had a dream of owning a log home for over 20 years and was going to have a company build a kit home for me. After doing a bit of research, I felt the costs were not worth venturing into. Then I surfed the web and ran across this site and am wanting to take the course. Will have to take in 2006 since I am overseas.
I have absolutely no construction experience whatsoever and I do not have a talent of putting things together. In fact, I have a tendency to make a lot of mistakes and making a mess of things once I get started. So I don't have the confidence to do something like this. However, this website almost has me convinced I could do it.
Also, how many women out there have built a log home primarily by themselves and what prior experience in construction did they have?
By the way, I love this web site. It has so much information and if I do take this class, I hope it can give me the confidence to do this venture myself.

rreidnauer
10-27-2005, 01:46 PM
I have absolutely no construction experience whatsoever and I do not have a talent of putting things together. In fact, I have a tendency to make a lot of mistakes and making a mess of things once I get started. So I don't have the confidence to do something like this. However, this website almost has me convinced I could do it.

Well, if you know which end of a (sledge) hammer is used for hammering with, and perhaps the basic ability to read a tape measure, you should be able to get by fairly well. Ellsworth and Steve teach their students to do things in "idiot resistant" ways. Granted, someone totally inept may not be able to do it. But anyone with some ability to learn should stand a chance. A biggy is to pay close attention in class. Don't be hanging out in the kitchen, or out on the porch sucking on a cigarette, missing valuable information they are trying to teach you. (and that you paid for) I noticed that in my class several people left early on the second day, presumably because they needed to be back in work on Monday. Make an effort to get Monday off, so there is no pressure on you and you can concentrate on the class. Personally, I took off Monday and Tuesday, so I could decompress a bit. Finally, relax. This is suppose to be fun too.

[quote="dkdrules"]Also, how many women out there have built a log home primarily by themselves and what prior experience in construction did they have?[quote]

There was a Mother/Daughter team in my class, and I know there are several other women who tackled building their own homes. It's discussed in the class as well. I am always glad to see cases like this. I far too often hear people saying they can't, without even trying in the first place. FLcowgirl, any words of encouragement?

dkdrules
10-27-2005, 02:24 PM
Thanks rreidnauer!!

If good heads up is given, I will be taking the first 2006 class available. I will also be spending a few days to look around Washington and Oregon area. So I will be there for the whole class. Interest to go west is growing and have been surfing the web for land. By the way...anyone familiar with Klamath Falls Oregon area? Found some interesting property on ebay and it looks beautiful.

freeloader
10-28-2005, 06:06 AM
Check out "www.wallacefallslodge.com" while you are in the Monroe, Wa. area at the class. It is a great place to stay while you stay over for the class. It is a real log-home of the type you will be learning to build.