PDA

View Full Version : Attending the October 15-16th Class

ToLiveInTheWoods
10-05-2005, 11:35 AM
So who else out there is attending the 10/15-16/05 class?

Introduce yourselves....And why are you taking the class?

I'm Ray and will be flying in from Chicago for the weekend.

I feel that I'm a woodsman that grew up in the concrete jungle, and after 37 years I have finally decided to get out and move to the woods and build my house. Everything I've been able to read about building a log home leaves me wanting to know more.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all face to face.
Ray

jhastie
10-06-2005, 06:59 PM
Ray:

I just took the class in September and am very glad I did.

You couldn't ask for more straightforward information and a better/more supportive group of people.

After the class, as you are trying to digest what you learn and prepare for your project, you'll find access to the member forum is more than worth the price of admission. These guys have run into and solved more problems than we can imagine at this point.

Best of luck,

John

ponyboy
10-06-2005, 07:56 PM
Hey Ray,

I'll be there for the 15/16 class. I'm driving up from Portland probably on Friday so I don't have to leave too early in the morning. :shock:

I've always liked log homes (NOT the milled logs where they are all the exact same size). I also like the idea that I could build it myself.

Now if I could just find a nice moose head to put on the fireplace....

Jeff

ToLiveInTheWoods
10-07-2005, 07:43 AM
Hey Jeff,
If you find the moose can I get some of the meet to make jerky?

The last moose I saw was at the end of June. I was kayaking down a stream in Maine, actually I was on the Maine Stream, as the stream worked its way back and forth with lots of switch backs I cam around one of these 90 degree bends and out of the brush on the bank not 20 feet away from me a moose head pushes out over the water. I stopped my forward travel and started back paddeling until I bumped into the bank behind me. As I sat there that moose head then rose up and up and up(she stood up to maybe 9 feet at the shoulder) As she towered over me she gave a feint with her head like she would charge across the stream at me but she decided that I was no threat and she turned giving me a perfect side shot, if I had a gun, and then retreated into the bush a second latter I heard a huge splash just down river. I decided that I should paddle back up stream and find my friends instead of heading around the next bend to find this moose blocking the stream.

Moose are the second most dangerous animal in the woods, right after grizzly bears.

I'm looking forward to meeting you next weekend
Ray

BKB
10-07-2005, 08:35 AM
I just signed up for the class and will be coming from Redding, CA. Flying in Friday and staying in Renton. Look forward to meeting everyone and getting a lot of useful information. I bought 40 acres recently and am ready to start on a cabin. After this class I look forward to building the cabin with the help of family and friends.

Brian

ChainsawGrandpa
10-07-2005, 08:50 PM
When you're there, be sure to eat at the Clay Oven
in Monroe. I have always hated indian food...just
never cared for it, but this place is incredible! Just
great food. Steve and Ellsworth can direct you on
what is best to order.

-Rick Buchanan Class of a long time ago. (92?)