PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Skagit County, WA Bldg Codes?

Longhare
09-14-2005, 08:26 PM
I am considering buying some property north of Sedro Woolley, but was warned by a neighbor that it comes with "about ten pages of environmental restrictions", so he didn't buy it himself. (I'm also wondering if his motives may be a bit less than altruistic...who wouldn't want an adjacent vacant, heavily forested 5+ acres to remain unsold...?)

My main concern is the small creek at the front of the property that would require a bridge (no culvert, he says). It may be a fish spawning stream. I'm guessing there may also be restricions on how I would log the property, considering any potential impact on the stream. There is also a significant creek cutting across the middle of the property, but it is at the bottom of a deep ravine. I doubt that I would even want to log any of that section.

I'm just curious if any of you have any experience working with Skagit County (the property is zoned Rural Reserve).

Thanks!

Longhare

RockEngineer
09-15-2005, 06:16 AM
Do your research on the wetland area requirements. They can kill your project. A visit to the planning department or a check of their on-line resources should be get you the requirements for stream setbacks. Remember that the wetlands don't necessarily stop at the edge of the stream. The wetland is often determined by the type of plants growing. If wetland plants are growing 200 ft from the steam but there is no standing water, it is still wetland.

Skagit isn't too bad for requiring engineering for the structure. I have engineered houses in Skagit county before. I don't deal with the actual permits and the wetland restrictions though.

Good Luck :lol: