PDA

View Full Version : Affordability of log homes in the southwest

kc5deb
09-13-2005, 05:38 AM
I live in west Texas, and have always loved the look of log homes.

In the next 2-3 years, I plan on purchasing a house. I don't want anything really fancy, but, not too plain. I'm looking at possibly a 4 bedroom house (I have one son every other weekend, my fiance has one son, and we plan on having another child after we're married).

As far as housing, we've looked at manufactured housing for the price; either a double-wide or a pre-built. We simply can't afford a bricked built-from-scratch.

Are log homes going to run more per square foot than a typical home? As far as land goes, we have that covered; we're planning on buying a few acres from either her parents or my parents, and for dirt cheap.

My worry is that the cost of getting logs in for the home will outweigh the cost of brick or a double-wide. But, I don't want to go through the trouble of trying to mortgage a ready built or double-wide, plus, they just don't have the durable construction of most homes.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

wood bug
09-13-2005, 11:47 AM
Hi Kc, what part of west TX are you? are you in a rocky part such as Ft. Davis area? One hint I have found so far is a used MH that has had some or little remodel work are quite affordible some as low as 5000, that would be for a 2-3 yr home till you could build your own, I would not no way no how sign a mortgage for a new MH or tie it to my land, you own land in Tx and buy a mobile they will attatch your land to the MH mortgage. Have you taken or considered taking the Log building class? You would look at it alot differant after the course, I don't work for the Assc. but I took the class, I also was thinking temp MH "till later" no body really wants to live in a MH if there is an alternative, right now where I live (outside Ft. Worth) there is a huge supply of repo'd and returned MH the default rate according to my real estate broker is astronomical , BUT they are easy to get into, thus the default rate, a single wide has little resale and is almost impossible to sell to FHA qualified buyers, when you need out if I can help you in any way write back or email me I will help ya as much as I can.

Dennis Bolan