PDA

View Full Version : When Shopping For Land...Land with good timber?

paul260426
09-12-2005, 02:51 PM
Okay, I am hooked on the idea. So I am off looking for land to buy. If I want to use the timber on my land...what type timber should I be looking for.
I found one propert where the timber looked great and the Real Estate guy says that timber is only good for building a barn. So what should I be looking for?

Oh and one more thing....what is the cost of the class? I can't seem to find any information on this.

thanks

GammaRae
09-12-2005, 02:58 PM
the price is admission to the Association... go to the the LHBA home page for all the information.

Steve
09-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi Paul - welcome to the forums!

Tuition for the class is included in the lifetime membership fee. There are no annual "dues" or anything else to pay. Currently the lifetime membership is $795 per person, or $695 each for groups of two or more taking the class together. However, the price may change so check out the home page for the latest info (www.loghomebuilders.org).

As for trees, you can build a log home with almost any species or size of tree. I wouldn't put too much stock in what the real estate agent says about it unless he's an experienced log home builder.

Typically log home "kit" manufacturers buy whatever kind of tree they can get locally (and cheap), and then they come up with all sorts of reasons in their advertising about why you MUST have the species they use. Obviously some species are better than others, but if the logs come free with your land then they get a big plus. :)

What sort of trees are on the property you mentioned, and how big are they (height and diameter)?

-Steve

Basil
09-13-2005, 06:16 AM
Felling trees is dangerous, exhausting work. Be careful if you decide to log them yourself. Check with local loggers, you may be able to get them to fell the trees and you skid/buck/move them yourself.