PDA

View Full Version : Log Home Construction With Southern Yellow Pine ??????

mtcates
09-11-2005, 06:13 AM
I just purchased 11 acres of fully timbered land and the majority of the trees on the property are Loblolly Pine 12 to 18 inch diameter at breast height. What do you guys think about using this kind of wood for a log home? Would there be any major concern with wood decay with Southern Yellow Pine?

rreidnauer
09-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Sounds good to me. With Skip's techiniques regarding weather protection, it will work just fine. A Skip saying is, "Use what you got" and you got the timber. SWEET! :D

gregorama
09-12-2005, 07:32 AM
Actually, I'm sorry to report that Loblolly pine is only safe to use north of the 46th parallel. You'll need to log those weeds and get them off your property as soon as possible before they infect the soil. Since you're on the forum, I will offer to take them off your hands and dispose of them in a environmentally responsible fashion. Again, sorry for the bad news.... 8)

rreidnauer
09-12-2005, 08:40 AM
LOL, errrrr.....uuhhhhh, yea....that's what I meant to say. Worthless, just worthless. Ya need a hand Gregorama?

tatermates
09-12-2005, 07:25 PM
mtcates...don't you believe a word of that!!! Those trees aren't "worthless". They will make great paper....and I know a guy right here in Florida that will get them all out of your way. He's my neighbor so I'll come and get them. Seems like the neighborly thing to do, don't you think?

Nothing like a good "feeding frenzy"...huh guys :lol: :lol:

mtcates
09-14-2005, 12:05 AM
I get the point guys. Nothing like a little humor. It looks like I have all I need for the home. I'm just beginning my quest and it's a long way to go. I'm going to take the class in the near future. :D