PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Log Home??

MGunns
08-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I will be retiring from the Corps in 10 months and moving to western NoDak. I was wondering if anyone knew the in/outs of building a log home with Cottonwood trees from the Little Missouri river. Can it be built with fresh cut logs or do they have to cure? If wet, what is the maximum diameter log I can build a 40'x60' lodge?
Gary

rreidnauer
08-24-2010, 02:58 AM
Cottonwood, assuming you're talking about Populus deltoides, I don't believe would be a good choice. From what I can gather, they are fairly low rot resistant. (likely due to fast growth rate and low ring count) Do they even grow tall/straight enough to meet your requirements?
To answer your other question, building LHBA style, you can construct with fresh cut logs. (and is even prefered in some cases) There is no maximum limit on diameter, however, the recommended minimum is 10" (on the small end)

jrdavis
08-24-2010, 07:02 AM
MGUNNS,
Semper Fi. from Iraq.
I did my 4 and got out, but am currently one of those "stinking contractors" people talk about -- doing all the technical work over here.
I will be home in March and hope to start building right after that.
I sincerely recommend that you spend the $$ and take the class. It will be the BEST **OJT** you've ever had.
And pour through everything you can on this website.
Semper Fi, Again,

James
PLTN1042-at-Juno-dot-com

andrew mason
08-28-2010, 02:36 AM
oohhrraaa! MGunns!

i have been looking around the site for a little while now, and one thing i have seen, is that the more "square" your cabin the better.. obviously, also, the shorter your walls, the shorter you loggs need to be, there by making it less difficult for you to select your logs.
i imagine that there are deffinatly some trees out there that can go 60+ feet with out a significant taper to complicate your building precess...and maintain a minimum desired diameter. also, will those trees be in your area that you are building?

-LCpl mason.

Grey Knight NFO
08-29-2010, 11:41 AM
MGunns,
Congrats on retirement coming up. Thanks for your time in the Corps.

LT Griffing, USN
Patron 46