PDA

View Full Version : Exceptional Log Home award for Patrick Gillespie

Steve
09-08-2005, 08:05 PM
Greetings folks!

This month we get a special treat -- photos of a log home under construction in Vermont, by builder, artisan, and Association member Patrick Gillespie.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/log-homes-21.htm

We took these photos this summer, but we are told that the house is now finished and being prepped for market. We hope to get finished photos in a few weeks, and we'll post an update as soon as we have them.

In the mean time you can tell from some of the small touches that Patrick cares about the quality of the work he does. Check out the "sunburst" gable end. Incredible!

-Steve

hawkiye
09-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Beautiful logs. I really like his fat window seals

Blayne

Robair
09-11-2005, 07:03 AM
Nice!

What kind of logs are those??

JeffandSara
09-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Can't wait to see the finished photos. :D Great job, Patrick!

Sara :D

Steve
09-11-2005, 10:12 AM
What kind of logs are those??

If I recall correctly, it's a mix of Red Pine and Northern White Pine. The Red came from a neighbor's property, and he brought in some Northern White for the longer spans (such as the beautiful girder in the living room).

We'll get more photos as soon as we can. Hopefully he doesn't sell it too fast. :)

Steve

vtbuilder
09-11-2005, 01:45 PM
Here I am.

Sorry I've been away for so long but I've been kind'a wrapped up in the project.

I just tried to update my avatar but for some reason the system is rejecting my .jpg, saying that the file is not, in fact, a .jpg file.

Anyway. as Steve said, the exterior logs are primarily red pine. Most of these come from a fire kill on the ridge line above my property. 40 Logs came from the 3 acres. They are White Pine, Hemlock and Spruce. I used the white Pine and Hemlock as structural elements. The ridgepole was hemlock, as well as two of the carrying timbers.

Unfortunately, I sold my largest logs (White Pine) before I decided that I was going to use a backhoe to lift the logs in place.

Patrick[/list]

rreidnauer
09-12-2005, 09:05 AM
I just tried to update my avatar but for some reason the system is rejecting my .jpg, saying that the file is not, in fact, a .jpg file.

I've noted the same problem. The system will not allow image uploads directly from your computer. It will allow image uploads from an image hosting site such as www.photobucket.com

GammaRae
09-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Patrick,

I can't stop looking at your "sunburst" gable end. The whole house is beautiful and that just adds tremendously. I hope you don't mind if someone (mainly me) from the associations "borrows" your idea.

Cheers

vtbuilder
09-14-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi GammaRae,

You are more than welcome to my sunburst. :-)

I had initially wanted to paint the sunbursts like a toned down rainbow, but all my fellow carpenters talked me out of it.

Be sure and send or post a picture of your own.

Patrick

rreidnauer
09-14-2005, 06:07 PM
I agree. That sunburst detail, though relatively simple to do, and quite subtle, really is a magnificent touch. I stared at that picture quite a while myself. I'm glad your friends talked you out of painting it, I toothink it's perfect just as it is.

Really, nice job.

vtbuilder
09-16-2005, 03:41 PM
Hi Rod,

Is there a way to upload an image from the computer? Or is this a permanent condition, as it were?

mE

rreidnauer
09-16-2005, 03:48 PM
Hi Rod,

Is there a way to upload an image from the computer? Or is this a permanent condition, as it were?

mE

Seems like a permanent glitch to me, as several months earlier, and just recently, I was unable to do "from the computer" uploads. Do you have a way to upload it somewhere on the net? If not, forward your avatar to my e-mail and I will provide you a link to where you can get it from.

kyle
11-14-2005, 01:06 PM
Took a road trip to Vermont this weekend and had the opportunity to stop by and see Patrick's beautiful, and so close to being finished, log home. I must say it looks even better in person.

It was well worth the 10 hour (one way) ride!

Thank you for your hospitality Patrick! As I told you this weekend, I hope mine comes out half as nice!