PDA

View Full Version : Now or later? One or both?

Matt and Sora
09-07-2005, 08:27 AM
For those who have taken the class: is it better to do so as soon as possible? And for the instructors: can we be reasonably certain there will be classes to take in 2006?

We definitely want to take the class. It would be logistically and financially challenging, but not impossible, to send Matt to the one on September 24-25.

Next summer we'll be moving our family to a small island off of mainland British Columbia (we're currently in Ohio). After the move, it will be possible to drive to the class rather than flying to Seattle and renting a car, saving several hundred dollars in transportation costs which could then be used for tools and supplies instead (our budget will be pretty tight!) On the other hand, we may be able to begin building very soon after our movel, and would not want to delay things unneccesarily while waiting for the opportunity to take the class. I guess we could probably figure out log peeling on our own, but there is a possibility that we'll be living in a tent for the summer and will be in a hurry to get a roof and walls up before winter.

Which brings me to the next question -- for those married couples who have both taken the class and are already building, how valuable was it to have both of you take the class? Right now we're planning to have only Matt take the class. My ability to assist with the building will be somewhat curtailed by the fact that we have (or will have by next year) 5 children, three of whom will be 4 and under and one of whom will be a nursing infant. Our older two, who will be 9 and 11, are eager and hardworking but nowhere near adult size and strength.

In this situation, what would you decide about when to take the class, and why?

Thanks!

Sora and Matt Colvin

JeffandSara
09-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Hi, Sora--

My husband Jeff and I took the class way back in 2000, so the price has gone up a bit since then. We sent Jeff by himself first because of childcare and family illness situations. We knew immediately that this was what we wanted to do, but after Jeff got back from his weekend at Skip's, we had the DETAILS that were so important in making our long-range plans.

I went six months later, and I'm glad I was able to. But Jeff took good notes, stayed late chatting with Skip, and picked up the details of the techniques easily... so I could have designed our house and helped him build it without attending. I'm glad I DID attend, just because of the pleasure I got out of meeting and chatting with Skip, and from seeing his homes. We've since then been privileged to get to know Ellsworth and Steve, who have taken over for Skip, and I'm sure we'd have felt the same about "spending a weekend" with them. :D

At any rate, my thought is that, in your situation (but knowing what we know about the class and the process... we're living in our "Skip-style butt-and-pass" home now), I would definitely advise that you get Matt to the class ASAP. Your questions will all be answered, and you will have SO MUCH BETTER idea of what the process will be, what you'll need, etc. Also, once Matt's a member, you'll have access to more specific information and support here on the forums. You really really need to get the basics of the process "on board" before you make too many plans.

If you find a time that's convenient to go later, GREAT. You'll probably love it and feel it's worth every cent. If not, one of you going--if they pay good attention, take good notes, and don't spend too much time drinking coffee in the kitchen during the informational times :wink: -- should be sufficient to get you on-track.

BEST wishes to you on all those kids, the move, etc. :D

Sara

Basil
09-08-2005, 07:01 AM
Skip always says to take the class two years or more before you plan to build. The class is not just about building, it's about lifestyle and not spending money that you don't need to spend. It's about acquiring the things you need BEFORE you need them, at a reasonable price.

I took the class a year and a half before I started building, which was fine for me. I had started collecting tools before taking the class.

So the question is, how long until you plan to build?

HITmanMikie
09-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Sora and Matt, my wife and I had planned on attending together next week. However, my mother, who lives with us, recently had a knee replaced and she is still in rehab, so she will not be able watch the kids (2 at home). That left my wife to stay home this time around. Less than 2 weeks ago, I made my flight arrangements using Independence Air for less than $200 round trip - Northern Virginia to Seattle.

Unlike the suggested 2-year preparation period, I plan to build as soon as possible. My goal is to move my family into our home before next fall, after first building one to sell. Many friends and co-workers are very interested in hearing how we can build an affordable single-family dwelling even here in metro Washington, D.C.

I wrote the info@loghomebuilders.org e-mail address, and they were very helpful answering many design questions until I get to the class.

My suggetion is to look into the actual costs required before putting off your decision to send Matt. It may be more affordable than you think.

jbhoward
09-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Matt and Sora,

I have often enjoyed reading your blogs! :wink:

It sounds like, from an economics standpoint, y'all should wait until you're closer. Why have Matt make that trek twice if he doesn't have to?

I'm planning to attend next year and would love to be there at the same time you are. I'm in SW Virginia, working for RCJR. A friend???who is moving here from Texas???and I plan to attend together. We're thinking earlier in the year than summer, but it may be that late before we can both make the trip.

Anyway, if y'all don't attend the Sept or Oct class, keep me posted on when you're going, and I'll do the same.

Blessings,
Jim Bob

Matt and Sora
09-18-2005, 06:02 PM
We decided there's no reason not to take the plunge; he's going to next weekend's class. We figure we'll be much better able to make detailed plans for our "escape" after he gets back, and that will offset the greater expense of going now. The biggest expense is the membership anyway; the difference in travel costs after we move will only amount to a few hundred dollars, and hopefully it will be well worth the difference to have taken the class 10 months to a year sooner than we otherwise would.

rreidnauer
09-19-2005, 03:14 AM
Funny you should say, "plans for our 'escape.'" I have often described my decision to build a "Skip" home to my family and friends as my "escape plan" from a life of endless renting or the burden of a mortgage.

ChainsawGrandpa
09-19-2005, 07:20 AM
It may be a bit of a hardship but I think you'll be glad with
your decision to go now.

A few suggestions for class.

1. Listen!
2. Listen!!
3. Listen!!!!
4. Take clear understandable notes.
5. Stay out of the kitchen. Too many people are in there
talking and eating cookies when the good info is being
disseminated. The class is long, and sometimes you
start to get fatigued, but keep alert and keep writing.
Hey, it was cold, the classes were long, and I was tired,
but I was there early, and stayed late. Man, I sucked
Skip's brain dry, but I was serious.

Get your money's worth, be sure you understand everything clearly.
If you don't build you will have had some fun, and learned somethings
that were interesting. If you do build you will find you have just come
across one of the biggest bargains in your life.

The hardest part is after you return you will have to sit on
your excitement until you start building. :wink:

-Rick