PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Cost Estimate

kevinbarr
09-02-2005, 09:19 PM
I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. I am in the process of getting a cost estimate for doing a log cabin build.

I recived a quote from a contractor to build a Strongwood (manufacture) log cabin for me. The finshed square footage was approximatley 1300.

The price he quoted me was $150.00/Finshed square foot. This price includes the site prep, road, walkout basement, setting logs, all framing, roof, decks, electrical rough in, plumbing rough in, all HVAC installed and final grade.

I have alwasy heard of estimates of $100-$150 per square foot for "Turn Key" homes (ready to move in), but I am paying that for what i would call a dry in. Am I off base? The cabin will be located in Wisconsin.

The contractor has been totally open with me and supplied me with all bids. The contractors bids totaled approx 122K, then he added 60k for his labor in setting logs, framing, roofing the cabin, installing widows ect.

Is that way off base or not

SORRY SO LONG WINDED

Kevin

hawkiye
09-02-2005, 10:48 PM
Have you read any of the main site? If not please do http://www.loghomebuilders.org

I'd ask for references and ones with verfiable owners who used the contractor whom you can talk to alone and see their cabin, and at least two. If he can't do that walk away. There are a lot of fly by nighters in the loghome business

The price does sound high to me but hard to tell as I don't know your area and trends

Blayne

ChainsawGrandpa
09-03-2005, 07:12 AM
I have priced some log home kits and that certainly doesn't
sound out of the price range, but why would you want a log
home so badly that you would be willing to pay that kind of
money? Not a put-down, but, Wow! that's a lot of money!

Take some time to read the website and forums. There are
some members building very nice turn-key homes for over
$100/foot, and some who have been under $10/ft. A point
to remember, the price really doesn't have a lot to do with
the quality or beauty of a log home. I know of a very nice
looking kit "log" home that is a disaster (but a real good-
looking disaster), and a very nice good-looking log home
built with real logs that has zero problems, and a very low
maintenance schedule. The square foot cost was less than
10% the cost of the good looking disaster. Knowledge, not
dollars, is key to beauty, quality, and price.

-Rick