PDA

View Full Version : Frustrated in Florida

tatermates
08-23-2005, 01:02 PM
Hey everybody, just wanted to introduce myself and my wife Margaret. We live in the panhandle of Florida in what has become a VERY expensive area to build(live). I have, for some time, wanted to build a log home and have read this website completely, several times. Margaret and I have been saving our money thinking we could build via normal construction, only to realize we couldn't save faster than inflation was progressing :oops: Anyway, we decided to attend the 14-15 Sept class in hopes of learning the "Ellsworth" approach and maybe be able to build after all. We will be staying at the Lodge built by former class attendees. We look forward to meeting other classmates while we're there. Gotta run and find those jackets.....now where did I put them.....probably next to my old snow sled....

roger

GammaRae
08-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Roger,

You'll love the class. And if you're staying at Wallace Falls you'll be blown away. We were just married there a little over a month ago and it was absolutley fantastic.

tatermates
08-23-2005, 07:48 PM
Congrats GAMMARAE on your marriage. Margaret and I celebrate 33 years in December. We decided to stay at the lodge to give us more time to look at the actual construction results and it will allow us to take pictures of the detail since photography isn't allowed at the school site. It appears in the photos to be e beautiful area. Margaret lived in Seattle many years ago but it will be my first trip to Washington State.

Thanks for the reply....roger 8)

charner
08-24-2005, 05:49 AM
Roger, this will most likely be the best investment you'll make.
I live fairly close to the panhandle, so if you ever want to get
together for a chat when you get back, let me know.
I've found a source of logs, and will be clearing my land in Sept.

Enjoy Skip's famous cookies!

tatermates
08-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey Charner, I know exactly where Moultrie is. We go to the car shows/swap meets almost every year there.
What type of tree are you building with? I'd love to get together when we get back from Washington. Have you built a model yet?
Okay....enough rattling on :?

roger

charner
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Roger, around here it's practically all longleaf pine. (That is suitable for
butt/pass construction), so that's what I'm using. I've looked into cypress,
which would be nice, however they aren't large enough in diameter around here. The nice thing about colquitt county, is there are no building code enforcement outside city limits.
So, I'm building here. The model is underway...

JeffandSara
08-24-2005, 12:22 PM
Charner!

No building code enforcement outside city limits? WOW! Lucky devil!!!! :D Georgia's beautiful... didn't realize that some of the counties were SENSIBLE as well! :wink:

Sara :D

charner
08-24-2005, 07:14 PM
Charner!

No building code enforcement outside city limits? WOW! Lucky devil!!!! :D Georgia's beautiful... didn't realize that some of the counties were SENSIBLE as well! :wink:

Sara :D

Haha, I know it's hard to believe... Mostly its because of agricultural buildings and such.. There are still dozens of counties in Georgia thoughout the state that do not enforce codes outside city limits. I would imagine that number is dwindling however...

tatermates
08-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Maybe I should move back....I was born in Columbus, and lived in Warner Robins while in the Air Force. That was one of my favorite assignments. Here in the panhandle of Florida we have enough codes and inspectors for 3 or 4 states. Fact is, you need a permit for virtually any improvement/construction that occurs on your property. As you can imagine...the hurricanes keep the sub-contractors and the city/county officials busy. Oh well, that's the price we pay for living in the "sunshine" state :roll:

roger