PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, and Open-Ended Question

zcat
08-13-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi everyone. I'm just getting ready to sign up for the Sept 24-25 class. It's a bit scary, but after researching things for a while, I think I'm ready to take the plunge.

I'm currently a software developer who's really, really tired of the rat race. My wife and I are trying to simplify, and we're ready and willing to take some risks in order to live life the way we want to. We look around and realize that if we don't change anything, we'll wake up 10 years from now in the same basic situation we're in now (as though it takes a rocket surgeon to figure that out). Ultimately, I would love to make log home building my profession--we'll see what happens after we get house #1 under our belts.

I've gone through the forum and don't recall this specific question posed this way--if I missed it, I apologize. I know it's virtually impossible to give averages for cost and time investment needed to build, because there are so many variables. I'd like to hear from people who have built, or are in the process of building their log home. Specifically, I'm curious about the following:

1) How big is your home, or how big will it be when you're finished?

2) How many hours per week have you averaged in building your home?

3) How long did it take to complete building (or to get to the point you are at now, if you aren't finished)?

4) What building experience did you have before beginning?

5) How much money did it take you to build your home, not including land?

6) How/where did you get your logs? Did you have to transport them very far?

7) Generally, does your home have very basic amenities, did you go all out--Italian marble, granite, full custom cabinetry, etc.--or is it something in between?

8) Did you contract any of the work out?

I hope these questions don't seem too personal, because I think the answers will give most people a general idea of what their own project may look like, once they pass their own parameters into the equation.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

zcat

skylog
08-20-2005, 08:32 PM
I also am very interested in some actual stories. The more 'statistics' I hear the better chance I may make the plunge to do this also. I just recently found this site and everything sounds GREAT to me. My husband is the one who needs convinced. He's sure that it isn't as great as it sounds and that we could never do it. We have NO BUILDING SKILLS whatsoever. I know they say that the class teaches everything so that even those with no building skills would be capable but I find it very hard to believe! We are the type that always hires someone else to the job. We even hired someone to build our small deck because we could not figure out the design underneath so that we would be sure that it was safe. Has anyone else went into this with NO building skills and actually accomplished their dream???

It has ALWAYS been our dream to live in a log home. Seems like that will never happen. If someone could give me a round about cost for the home we would love to build, it would help so much! Here would be our round about stats.

Provide our own logs from our land

approx. 1300-1400 sq. ft. bottom floor

2 story with front porch and inerior loft above the porch

assuming we collect all windows/ doors/ sinks/ toilets on our own (don't include in rough estimate)

build cabinetry, counters and staircase also out of logs (you do also get taught how to flat plain the boards as well for use throughout, right?)

Build Fireplace out of mountain stone (we provide the stone) (do they teach anything about that in the classes?)

Pay someone for electrical work and plumbing (unless something is taught on that)

some hard wood floors and some carpeted

if someone could give me a very rough estimate and share their expiriences with me also, I would VERY much appreciate it.

The more replys and stories, the better, so PLEASE take the time to respond to this if you have built or are in the process!!

Thanks!

rreidnauer
08-21-2005, 07:08 AM
I guess I'll come to bat for some your questions zcat and skylog.

I haven't built yet, and I'm looking for land. I am planning a 1800 sf two story home, built as 35x35 interior. I'm looking for land with timber already on the property, or timber nearby. I plan to work with a very limited budget ($55-60K) so as much of the work will be done by yours truely, and will not have extravagant ammenities, but many people do with the added savings from building their own homes. I'd like a continuous wall foundation, but that will be determined by contracting cost, so I may have to do it via Skip's DIY foundations. I hope to build my own septic, but will most likely have to hire a well driller so finding land with a shallower water-table will be considered. (they charge by the foot) I hope to find someone that is ripping out an old kitchen. I'll make use of the old cabinets, and make new doors. (I'm fortunate to have the tools to do that already) I'll either make heavy wood or color tinted concrete countertops.

Offering a round about cost is very difficult, but a lot will depend on what you are willing to do. Funny thing about construction is, it isn't really difficult. When you get an idea of what you want, you'll get drawings made and an engineer to make sure it will stay standing, then all you do is follow the prints. All I can tell you is not to be discouraged by doing it yourself. It's natural to be apprehensive to what you don't understand. Unless your are completely mechanically inept, you can do this. Common sense (or what I like to refer to as "uncommon sense") and the willingness to learn, plays a great role here. Once you stop looking at an overwelming big picture, and start to concentrate on the individual steps, you'll find things are achievable. I worked as an electrician for eight years, and can't believe what people are willing to pay for what is really easy work. I know very little about plumbing, but I'll pick up some books and I will be doing it myself. Heck, I never built a house, little on a log house, and I'll be doing it myself. So I recommend to you that you do, do your own utilities. I can almost guarantee that if you hire someone in to do it, they will likely screw something up in this non-traditional construction style, but you'll actually pay them to screw up. Heck, if you screw something up, at least then you didn't pay for the mistake!!! Besides, when it's your own, you naturally want it done right. Sit back and figure out what you're about to do, use common sense, and take your time. Something that hired hand isn't going to do. Also, electric and plumbing only require a minimum of hand tools. Abolish the fear of the unknown and read up on it. Go to where new homes are being built and look at how things are done. I learned a ton by doing just that. You'll be amazed how simple it is.

Without giving away too much about the class, first I want to say I found the class well worth it. Although they generally teach about getting your structure up safely and affordably, they do leave a lot of the finshwork up to you, since there are so many different options available, but they do offer suggestions. Often they tell you what not to do. But don't think for a minute they will leave you hanging. They are always happy to field your questions, but be warned that if you start to "overthink" things, get ready for a "down-to-earth" reply. :lol: It's really easy to get carried away, but that is what's so great about this class. It opens your eyes, builds amazing confidence, and get's your creative juices flowing. Already, this website has changed you, as you are now thinking you can build what you thought you'd never have. Imagine the effect the class will have on you. Levity and humor play a great role in this class as well, both contributed by teachers and the students. Also, just being in Skip's home and witnessing it's construction opens your mind to the possibilities. I guarantee you'll find yourself saying "Wow!"

Skip's building methods have been taught for over 50 years, and I don't know of anyone who has been disappointed by the class. Proof is in the pudding. If you got the drive, the rest comes naturally. Nothing mechanical is insurmountable. Welcome aboard, you're in for a heck of a ride. :P

ChainsawGrandpa
08-21-2005, 12:32 PM
I'll try to be brief.

Was a licenced contractor. That can be a problem as you "know how it's
supposed to be done". It is an advantage as it gives you the confidence
to proceed with a log home.

Ask questions but don't think too much...it just adds to your confusion.

I took the class at least a dozen years ago. Remodel this one first, then
build the log home. Big mistake. The remodel is almost finished.

Building a log home is very simple, don't make it difficult.

Built my models and am just now starting on the home & shop.

You MUST build a model, even if you are building a home from the
stock plans. It will save you countless hours in the actual construction.

My home will be 34 x 34...just under 1,600' with a 1/2 loft. I am
downsizing. The house can be small...we are building next to the
Garage mahal. :wink:

I'm not building in a subdivision this time. This is in the forest. Services
and supplies are far away so I'm guessing it will take twice as long as a
stick framed house. BUT, it will be fun instead of a headache. No bank
breathing down my neck!

Some people build the house itself for under $10/ft. Some are over $75.
What you spend is up to you. My plans were for $28,000. Sadly, it now
looks like i will be in the high $30K range.
The land was $26K for 5 acres. Much nicer than the small view lots next
to me now for 75K.

Grandmothers and young teens have taken the class. Believe the name
of the 16 year old on the website is Jerry Sargeant. He did a great job
and made a fine looking house.
About to time out. Will continue in part two.

-Rick

ChainsawGrandpa
08-21-2005, 12:45 PM
So much for being brief...

I can build my own doors and windows but it may be actually cheaper
to get them free or pay a little.

Cabinetry is reference sourced. Go to Taunton Press. Get the book and
video by Paul Levine. Titled something like: Building kitchen cabinets with
Paul Levine. I was professonally (properly) trained as a cabinet maker.
These methods will make a Journeyman turn over in his grave but, they
do work, are simple, fast and almost foo proof. I build all my own
kitchens and baths for about 10 cents on the dollar including appliances.
Of course, your mileage may vary.

Electrical, masonry, and plumbing is also reference sourced, plus you
have a lot of members with training, education, or have just been there
in those fields. It's really not hard to do.

A young woman from behind the perfume counter at Nordstrom took the
class. From what I hear she did very well in the class and on her log
home.

If you're curious, then this may be a waste of money. If you're serious
about building your own home from logs and not from a high-priced kit,
then this may just be the biggest bargain of your life. I know it was
among the five smartest things I have done in my life, and if the price
were tripled I would still have considered it to have been a fantastic
bargain. JMO....
-Rick

Lolo-Steve
08-21-2005, 07:25 PM
The house can be small...we are building next to the
Garage mahal. :wink:

-Rick

Rick are you married to a Pinay?

Basil
08-22-2005, 05:09 AM
Garage mahal??

That sounds familiar-

Are you on moparts.com???

ChainsawGrandpa
08-23-2005, 06:36 AM
Pinay? Took some looking, but Mr. E. was able
to come to the rescue. Heard the term Garage
Mahal somewhere and that sounded exactly like
what I had in mind. A small house will work fine
if I have a big (BIG!!) place to park the cars, do
the oil changes and repair work, and store all the
stuff that accumulates. A big shop, big garage,
and a small out building for a sewing room (it's
just gotta look like an English cottage...ugh!) can
allow us to have a small house. The good news is
that the permit is based on the house size. The
garage and most all structures are exempt from
permits and inspections!
-Rick

Lolo-Steve
08-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Pinay? Took some looking, but Mr. E. was able
to come to the rescue. Heard the term Garage
Mahal somewhere and that sounded exactly like
what I had in mind. A small house will work fine
if I have a big (BIG!!) place to park the cars, do
the oil changes and repair work, and store all the
stuff that accumulates. A big shop, big garage,
and a small out building for a sewing room (it's
just gotta look like an English cottage...ugh!) can
allow us to have a small house. The good news is
that the permit is based on the house size. The
garage and most all structures are exempt from
permits and inspections!
-Rick

Ok my wife to be is from the Philippines and a women is called a Pinay. Mahal has two meanings in Philippino. The first meaning is something that is exspensive and the second meaning is "Love". So I guess your garage is either the love garage or the exspensive garage .... its your choice lol.