PDA

View Full Version : Signed up for September class

eesnard
08-10-2005, 12:30 PM
I just signed up for the September 14-15 class. Looking forward to the class and meeting fellow log home builders.

tatermates
08-23-2005, 12:41 PM
My wife and I are attending the class next month. We spent the last year procrastinating but construction prices have forced me to make a decision. We look forward to the class and to meeting like-minded folks like ourselves. I'm looking for our jackets before we leave the warm panhandle of Florida though..... 8)

Where is everyone staying that are scheduled for that class??

roger

HITmanMikie
09-08-2005, 12:48 PM
I, too, will be attending the 9/14-15 class. My plan is to arrive Tuesday evening and likely find a motel room for the night. If the weather is dry, I may camp out over there for a night or two, perhaps on Skip's property.

tatermates
09-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Mikie, that sounds a little too adventurous for me. I've camped hundreds of times but that was before my motorcycle wreck. :cry: ...The old back can't take sleepin on the ground like it used to.
We'll be staying at Wallace Falls but look forward to meeting you at the ranch.....

roger

tatermates
09-08-2005, 01:38 PM
Eesnard...what state are you in???

roger

eesnard
09-09-2005, 09:04 PM
I'm coming in from Houston

ChainsawGrandpa
09-10-2005, 06:21 PM
Man I enjoy camping out on my property but I'm much farther
east and it is dry. Camping out a Skip's property is... adventurious...
SLUGS!! You can keep them out of the tent, but how do you get
that slime off the tent? I'd opt for Wallace Falls Lodge. Besides,
when at the lodge you can check out the corners, wiring, chinking,
and take lots of detailed photos of the lodge. That may be very
helpful when building.
-Rick

HITmanMikie
09-10-2005, 07:00 PM
Staying at the lodge does have it advantages, doesn't it? I hadn't planned on the extra couple hundred bucks, but it sounds like the advantages of staying two nights in a Skip-style building certainly makes it a worth-while investment.

Thanx Rick!

Longhare
09-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Anybody else here planning on attending the Sept. 24 - 25 class?

I can't wait!

Matt and Sora
09-16-2005, 06:48 AM
We're sending Matt to next weekend's class. This is probably a long shot, but is anyone else flying in from out of town interested in splitting rental car / gas costs from the Seattle airport? Unfortunately, his flight doesn't get in until after 11:00 p.m. Friday. Flying out again very early Monday morning, so he'd be heading back to the airport Sunday night.

HITmanMikie
09-17-2005, 04:26 PM
For you upcoming classmen and women, I attended the class that just ended. It was absolutely phenomenal!! Steve White and Ellsworth taught the class. It was excellent and well worth the money.

tatermates
09-17-2005, 08:11 PM
Let me echo what Mike said....The class was everything I expected with the bonus of meeting terrific peopple like Mike, Brent, the great instructors and the other 18 students whose names are to many to recall. Stop procrastinating and attend this life changing course.

Thanks again to Ellsworth and Steve.....you guys are great...

Roger and Margaret Tate

HITmanMikie
09-18-2005, 05:48 PM
All,

Like many of us working Americans, I don't have a lot of savings in the bank. Over the years, while my wife and I dreamed about living in a log home, we never gave serious consideration to how we would ever be able to afford one. I am now close to 50 years old and did not see how I could possibly get my family into our dream home (one of those dreams was Living Rent-Free/Mortgage Free). The 'kit' house of the style that I will be building from scratch was to cost $100K - $130K just for the materials to make the house weatherproof.

I waited until a year before my family expects to be in the house, before I even went to this class. Why should you NOT procrastinate about attending the class? One thing that Log Home Builders Association sells is the idea that people do not need to have a 30-year debt just to live in a house.

If you are like me, and put off going to the class until you are ready to move forward on the project, and don't have money saved up to buy tools, materials, etc., then the best you can do is have a mortgage that is less than you are paying now. By taking the class in advance, you will be able to start acculmulating your tools, doors. windows, etc. as you get great deals on them.

Tomorrow I start contacting log home loan companies. As I see it, I should be able to save a good 50% on my monthly payments building the house with the butt and pass method as these guys teach it.

Don't Procrastinate - Just Do It!!! You'll be glad you did!!!

One thing that I highly recommend, and something that I bet Roger, Margaret and Brent will agree on, is to plan to stay at the Wallace Falls Lodge, built by one of the graduates of the training. You may need to budget for that one, however, but the experience of sleeping in a lodge built using the same techniques you will be using is well worth the cost.

Michael Harris

Longhare
09-19-2005, 09:28 PM
Matt and Sora,

I tried to PM you a couple of days ago, but then my computer froze up, so i'm not sure if it went through. Hence the forum posting now.

Matt, where will you be staying while in our beloved Washington? I'm tied up Friday night, so I'm afraid I can't help out then, but if you happen to be staying in or near Everett, I can give you a ride to and from the classes. Same goes for anyone else lurking who might be staying nearby. (I did read a glowing review from a former student raving about an Everett bed and breakfast.)

Otherwise, I'll see you Saturday!

Longhare