PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Ideas

07-31-2005, 05:25 PM
Looking for anyone whom amy have leads or ideas on wiring for a log home. The home I am building is in Bastrop, Texas and am using west Virginia Aromatic Cedar, it's natural to this area. They are 8" thick by 6" high and will be using approximately 320 logs to construct a 2700sq ft home........56x55 2 story.
As I progress through this I am drilling the second log up for the lower outlets and have thought how tedious this will be to do the switch areas as the holes will be 3' to 4' off the floor........LOTS-O-DRILLING!
Anyone know of someplace I can aquire wiring 'covers'...I have seen them but cannot remember where........what I have seen were wood chanelled for the romex wire in 6-8' lengths, cut to need.
Doc 8)
docv@starband.net

ChrisAndWendy
08-01-2005, 03:46 AM
Try this link, I think this is the product you are looking for. http://www.menco.com/atkinson.htm
Chris.

JeffandSara
08-01-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi, Doc--

Sounds like you're using a milled log product, so some of the things we did for outlets and switches in our natural log with chinking home wouldn't work for your situation.

However, one thing that we did that worked well and might be a consideration for you is to position switches, as often as possible in interior (drywall) walls. Then where switches needed to be on log walls (in our case, only by the front and back entry doors), we used wide door trim, and were able to run the BX between the logs and that trim (rather than through the log) and cut a hole for the box so that the switch was installed on/in the door trim.

The finished product looks clean, and we never drilled a single hole through our logs. :D You can't see behind the trim from anywhere, so it doesn't show, but in a couple places where we were worried about seeing the silver sheath of the BX, we just painted it the same color as the door trim, just in case.

Good luck on your project.
Sara :D

08-01-2005, 05:11 AM
Thanks Chris for the link
Ambarian........the logs I am using are being cut at a mill around 15 miles away from the project site. They are 8-10', 6"x8" 'D' logs with the outside natural. I am shaving and shaping the outside with a draw knife.....aaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggghhhhhhhhhhh!....... .8 down, 312 to go!
The inside of the logs will be the inside walls in most areas, the drywall partition poses not outlet problem!
Doc