PDA

View Full Version : geothermal heating and cooling.

andrew mason
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
well, i did a quick search around here and found nothing about it, so here is a link that dose a nice job of explaining how the technology works.
<a href="http://www.geoexchange.org/">http://www.geoexchange.org/</a>

my current plans envolve me living in alaska, so this technology should benefit me wll in the cold winters, and it is cheap to operate, only down side is higher up front costs, but im willing to bet that if you could find the proper equipent, and materials... you could do it on your own and save allot of coin.

please, if you have other links, post them.

thank you.
-ANDREW MASON.

StressMan79
04-09-2010, 09:55 AM
nothing new about heat pumps, geothermal (ground sink) will be the most stable source, but when I was pricing them for my home a couple years back, they wanted 12k more for a ground sink than for an air sink. LSS, I got neither, as even the air sink was almost 8k.
If you are in alaska, here is my idea:
1) you will almost never need cooling, so half of the benefit of a geothermal unit is lost.
2) depending on your location, you have lots of passive solar
3) you can build so that you get the passive when you want it, and not during the summer when you don't.
4) burn wood for the remaining heating needs, it is plentiful in AK and cheap. You can buy a whole lot of wood for ~20k.
5) if you do this, you can build off grid, and not require heating/elctricity/etc that you have no power over the price fluctuations. In AK, you prolly have wood on the property that could be cut if required.
In AZ, my plan would be similar, but I would incorporate an evaporative "swamp" cooler for summer use. The only place where this would be a great idea is in the SE US where there is high humidity and there is a great demand for cooling.

Curtis S.
04-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Also, how is the ground, Rock? How deep would you have to go in Alaska to get the best efficiency? Ground loop or pump and dump? I believe here in Nebraska they are giving a 3k tax credit for one. Dont know if this applies to all states?

rreidnauer
04-09-2010, 06:14 PM
Check your BTU requirements. It's quite possible you will not be able to generate sufficient BTU's with a geothermal heat pump to keep up with your home's heat losses. Only so much heat can be made by compressing refrigerant, even if you were to somehow preheat the refrigerant (beyond the geothermal heating) before compressing.

This is coming from someone who use to install heat pumps. (both geothermal and air exchange)

Curtis S.
04-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Which may require a larger heat pump?

Tyofwa
04-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I have a ground source heat pump in my house in WA. It works well, but the supplemental heating element will kick in at about 30 degrees outside. I am a native of Alaska, if I recall correctly the permafrost basically runs 3-4 feet underground. I doubt you would find ground there with greater than 40 degree tempratures, and would have to probably dig down deep to get that! Your pump would work hard to exchange heat from the ground with the amount of cold you need to offset. A larger unit may help, but there is a recharge rate to the ground around the coils and at some point more movement of "chilled water" will not help.
Check it out with the local HVAC companies, but I am not optimistic you will be able to make it work.
/Ty
PS - I use a Hydron unit.

jrdavis
04-10-2010, 12:31 AM
I've been doing some reading and reasearch on the masonry stoves.They would give you a much better "thermal radiant" warmth and there are DIY books all over.
<a href="http://www.grannysstore.com/Do-It-Yourself/masonry_stoves.htm">http://www.grannysstore.com/Do-It-Yourself/masonry_stoves.htm</a>
There is a link for a PDF on building it step by step. The author built a whole house heater for $1000.
Hope that's a help to someone.
James.

Curtis S.
04-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Yep, a Masonry Heater will out last a heat pump many times over too.

andrew mason
04-12-2010, 08:40 PM
thanks for the tips..
i have been looking at masonry heaters, and am goiming up with a general idea of what i want.

ChainsawGrandpa
04-12-2010, 09:11 PM
"There is a link for a PDF on building it step by step. The author built a whole house heater for $1000."
The author (T.E.) is also a LHBA member. He took the class from Skip.
G'pa

jrdavis
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
G-pa.....
I didn't know that T.E. was an LBHA member, but that is awesome.!!!!! That certainly lends credence to idea.
We truly have a diverse and informed group of people.

ChainsawGrandpa
04-13-2010, 08:40 AM
Well, I was told he is.
He built a Skip style B&amp;P, and IF I remember right (anymore that's
a BIG "if") I was told or read in his book that he is a member. Hope
I didn't speak too soon. Maybe E, or Steve can give us a difinitive answer.

G'pa