PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Ontario, Canada?

Rumble
07-14-2005, 05:07 AM
We are located in Ontario, Canada and currentlly planning to build a log home. This isn't our first home (we have had 4 others) but this is the first log and, most likely our last home. Currently in the planning stage so there are some questions that are specific to Ontario but should also apply to general concept planning, as well.

Ontario Building Code - Did anyone experience any problems in complying to the code standards. Most likely in terms of structural stress & support requirements. Roofing requirements.

Municipality Since log homes are not very common in Ontario has anyone experienced any problems obtaining building permits or passing inspections. For example, I know a friend of a friend, etc who built a small log home and had trouble getting municiple co-operation. The local building department wanted structural engineer approvals on a good portion of the plan with significant time delay and cost on the project.

Plans Since most plans that are available are general in nature, was there significant changes necessary to meet the Code requirements.

Materials Supply The log home will be built in Southern Ontario, the forestry is in Northern Ontario. Right now we are looking at milled logs from the USA or BC (at significant trucking charges). It's ironic that there is such a big export industry of wood from Ontario to the US, yet it's seems to be cheaper to purchase US building supplies back from the US into Canada then to purchase within Ontario. This is an area of particular concern (logs, boards, general wood products) and any guidance would be appreciated.

Log Home designers/Draftsperson Since log homes are not very common in Ontario, it appears difficult to find an Ontario desigener/draftsperson that has experience to either mofify a "store bought" plan or design a new plan. Has anyone got any suggestions.

Pete
07-19-2005, 03:41 AM
Hi Rumble. I am also in Ontario...west of London. I do see some log homes here and there, and have found a few builders, but have not talked to them yet. I am attending the course in Washington in September, and will begin planning after returning home. At that point I expect to be more prepared to tackle the issues of planning, approvals, researching log availability etc.

Perhaps I might begin by building a small weekender cabin near Collingwood at my sister's farm.

Rumble
07-22-2005, 04:29 AM
Ontario is a bit weird when it comes to wood and lumber. Although we have a HUGE multi-billion dollar logging industry in northern Ontario, most of the wood is exported to the US. In fact, it seems to be cheaper to buy logs from the US and import them back to Canada (still checking on trucking costs).

There aren't many log homes here....although ya can find the odd one tucked away in places. Same goes for supplies (caulking, screws, etc). If ya can find them they are grossly over-priced.

I know there are several Ontario members on this forum. We really need to "pool" our knowledge because we are at a disadvantage compared to the folks in the US or even in British Columbia where the log home industry is big.

Just my thoughts!

GGopher
08-02-2005, 08:19 PM
I'm located in Regina, Saskatchewan. I'm dreaming of a log home in northern Saskatchewan or the Rocky Mountains somewhere. Although it won't be for a couple years.

Although I really am interested in the details of doing this in Canada. Do we have any "pole permits" for logging our own logs in Canada here like they have in the states?

jeffgeddes
08-09-2005, 09:48 AM
I'm currently living in Ontario was well, Toronto, so you can imagine there aren't too many loghomes in the city (like none!) I'm probably not going to build in Ontario, most likely the East Coast, so I haven't done any investigation into building in Ontario, sorry I'm not much help on that.

I too am interested to see if Canada has any "pole Permits" like they do in the US, not sure where to even start looking though. Anyone have any ideas?

NormG
09-11-2005, 05:59 AM
I live in Ontario just east of Ottawa. We built our home in 2001 using logs, and a builder, from Quebec.

Regarding your questions

Ontario Building Code - First of all, check with your Municipal Code as it could differ. Second, we used an Engineer to approve our plans. By doing that, we eliminated the possibility of Code problems.

Municipality - No problems getting permits but we did have to educate the inspectors regarding log homes. The engineer also came in handy here as we asked him to intervene when there were issues to be discussed with the inspectors. With an engineer 'on your side' it is hard for the Inspector to refuse to do something.

Plans - We designed our home in consultation with a draftsman and the engineer to comply with the Code. So, we did not have problems there.

Materials Supply - Materials will be harder to get now; especially after Katrina. I would encourage you to buy in bulk, if possible (storage of thousands of board feet can be a problem, but if you can do it, it will be cheaper and assure your supply) and deal with a major forestry company (we spoke with Weyerhauser directly, but purchased through a local distributor). Our logs came from Quebec and it could be cheaper for you to do this as costs are generally lower there, particularly in West Wuebec.

Log Home designers/Draftsperson - My draftsperson can help you with that if you are willing to have the plans emailed to you.

Hope that helps.

Timothy
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
What species are you looking to use in your home Rumble? Squares? Round? I could probably send you a few names that would be able to help you out on your material supply problems...

Timberwolf
06-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Greeting Eh!

Found this old thread and wondering if any LHBA members have built in Ontario (or Western Quebec even). Love to see what progress you've made.

Sound off!

Jason.

OriginalScrimmer
06-18-2008, 01:33 PM
I too am in Ontario, been wanting to take the class for several years now, finally had the chance last month (May 2008). My father in law built a "kit" log home, and lets say that the wife won't let me discuss his many flaws...(he has 40+ acres outside Bancroft, I plan on building a small cabin beside his, and let him see that his roof cost more than my cabin...).

Right now I'm looking at my own property to build the 2 car garage on (since there is already a house there!), I plan on using some White Pine off the property, or may talk to some buddies that are loggers down the road, worst case I'll call the local mill (I know expensive, but still better than shipping costs, plus I know the owner!!).

As for building codes, I know the father in law had no problems, the inspector was very helpful, but then again, she didn't know squat about log homes. As for materials, if you're really needing stuff, Permachink has a distributorship in Eganville (2 hours West of Ottawa) that sells all sorts of crap for log homes, but in all honesty, wait and take the course, you learn so much, it's invaluable!!! Good luck!!

Timberwolf
06-28-2008, 12:15 PM
OriginalScrimmer, you're like 20mins from me. I'm in Renfrew. Been working on sources for stuff. May have a couple of sources for logs, still working on details.

Jason.

OriginalScrimmer
06-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Cool, let me know what you come up with, I'm hoping to build someplace closer to Bancroft (the in-laws are there). There are many loggers in the area that should help you out with the logs...let me know when you're building, would love to try and get some "hands-on" I'm just dying to get started....

Timberwolf
06-28-2008, 03:56 PM
So I'll be taking you up on that offer.

I'll definately touch base about logs. I want to get winter cut this year.

Jason.

OriginalScrimmer
06-30-2008, 07:34 AM
Sounds good, you call, I'll haul...

linzel
07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
I live in Oakville and have dreamed of taking the course and building for years. I'm getting tired of postponing and would love the chance to discuss ideas/details with others in the province. I still want to take the course since it is so highly discussed. Logs concern me due to shipping costs form where the big ones can be found. linzel[at]gmail[dot]com.

Cheers

Timberwolf
07-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I haven't found anyone yet from Ont. who has built (I'm close to the Quebec border so I'd happily go their too), but I hope too start spring 2009. Building up here certainly has it's own challenges because we get every kind of weather imaginable.

Definately take the course, it's worth every penny.

Drop me a message if you want to e-mail me, there were a whole bunch of crazy Canucks in the April class (I think it was the largest group ever at the same time).

Jason.

Gudon
10-08-2008, 01:22 PM
I found this site last month and I am very impressed. I am glad to see several members from Ontario, I'm about an hour west of London. Currently working on saving for the class and airfare, hope to have enough next year. Just gotta convince the wife to come too.

I was in the Petawawa/Pembroke area a for couple summers several years ago, it would be nice to visit again. If I can manage the time off work, I would go for taking the 7ish hour drive to help and get some hands on experience. Let me know. gudon[at]me[dot]com

Boyd

Timberwolf
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
On the log prowl. Got any contacts for me?

Jason.

Timberwolf
10-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Welcome to the forums! It's just been just bursting with Canadian goodness lately!

Things are still on track for a spring build, so i'm definately looking for some help.

Keep your eyes on the forum, I'll be putting out a "Help wanted sign" soon.

Jason/

Kola
10-09-2008, 08:02 AM
There are many Canadian LHBA'ers..thats a good thing, aye?

LHBA is spreading worldwide..and thats what its all aboot'.. :)

now what ever happened to the McKenzie brothers?

Kola

Timberwolf
10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
But it's eh.

Eh!

;-).

pietru
10-15-2008, 06:34 AM
Timberwolf, be sure to count me in

kungfufrijters
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Now we are getting specific :)
Anyone from the 613 area code?

My wife and I are building in the spring north of Belleville.
Lots of rock but not much trees to play with...

Anyone fancy a trade? :)

I haven't seen much rubble trench foundation stuff in these forums
but all us Ontarians should be interested!

More coming soon...

Joel.

linzel
10-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Been awhile since I replied to any of these. Still living [and dying] in Oakville. My wife and I are fairly certain were going to chance moving and build. I'm hoping to start this spring on logs/peeling etc. Of course that is if I get in this coming course. I know they won't take you if we have started so I need to get in SOON! :)

If anyone is doing any building in the ontario region we would love to chat and perhaps help some for some experience. We're thinking we'll start with a small building/garage single story that we can build fast and live/store our stuff. Then build the main house more slowly. Then rent out the small place. I'd love to know what you think about this.

On the LOG front I got [I think] good news. I happened to be on a canoe trip in Temagami this summer with my family and ran into a local logger. I got his info and we have talked. He was ESTIMATING [not quoting] ~10K for logs, shipped. That has been the best and REAL talk I have had with anyone in Ontario for logs. I'll give his name privately if you email me at linzel[at]gmail[dot]com. I just figure to not list his name publicly for his privacy. Seemed like a nice guy. He seemed ready to allow the logs to be stored on his site if need be and said we could arrange for me to peel the logs on site if needed. I figure no matter what I could buy logs and get them ready if I had to but once again, I want to take the course first to be sure. He was confident to be able to get 40-60+ foot lengths of red or white pine, depending on the stand he is allowed to cut. Not 100% sure what we need. We have a few hand drawn ideas in the 40x40 and 30x50. We just want to meet with an architect and get something more definative down. Like all of you I want to build it as much myself as possible. I'm really hoping I can get it weather tight in a summer [I'm a teacher so I have 7-8 weeks I can dedicate - seems like it should be possible from what I read here] and then finish the inside.

Gimme a mail if you want for his name and number and if we could help you out if you are building. Hopefully meet some of you at the course. [keeping fingers crossed!]

James

Timberwolf
10-16-2008, 01:52 AM
But actually, I'm within 2 hours or so of Tweed.

I'll trade you some rocks for clay. ;-)

Rubble trench... I think my building inspector would blow a vein...right behind my wife. :-0

Jason.

Kola
10-16-2008, 07:46 AM
sorry Jason..Ehh!

Long live Fort Erie and the "ballet theatres"

Kola

kungfufrijters
10-16-2008, 10:29 AM
If its a small vein it won't hurt that much :)

The Rubble/Trench foundation is just a 2 foot perimeter footing (in our case connected to a slab on grade)
it is extremely strong and it can hold any wall system less then 2 feet wide :)

*steps off soap-box*

I make instruments out of clay so you might have a deal :)

If I can only find some logs laying around...

My best lead is a guy I work with has some cedar he wants cleared... Older stuff 10" dia and up
Other then that, I cold calling about 50 places right now :)

If you want to chat. vent. brainstorm, just send me an email... kungfufrijters *at* hotmail *dot* com

Timberwolf
10-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I prefer a basement anyway.

Cedar in this part of the country is pretty small for a log home (maybe a cabin) and a good deal of them (almost 100% of the ones I've cut) usually have heart rot.

Good for fences and decking though.

Keep an eye on your e-mail.

Jason.

Heidi
10-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey James,
I'd be interested in the Temagami guy too!
I am in Muskoka, with property, looking to convince my hubby to take the course.
We live in Alliston but are looking to build on our property a cottage to rent for now and have our summers with the kids.
We are a young family and looking to build a nice place but affordable...and the Linwood Log Homes are A LOt out of our reach!

chadfortman
10-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry!
Keep Rocking With Dokken!

Heidi how bad do you want a log home becuse you could build one better then a kit home.
Just take what theres looks like and make it into a butt pass style after you take the class.
If you want a cabin bad you will work for it. And its hard work but its rewarding work also and it be allot cheeper if you build it.
It will be allot better built if you build it a butt pass style home.
I dont even pick up those mags any more there a joke to me.
They should call it dowl pin homes ore 4 by 6 sqware wood legos.
I am glad i took the class and didnt get ripped off on a kit.
One the coolest things i did in my life is taking the class.
Its been some time and i am slow worker but step by step things are getting done on my own land.
Take the class together if you realy want to make your own place.
Good luck

Heidi
10-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Yes,
Stumbling into this website has opened my eyes...I wanted to hear from a bunch of people who have taken it before spending my time and money.
We are working slowly at our property. Every year something. It's a legacy to leave my kids and a dream that I have had for a while. I am too eager for my husband to handle sometimes...lol---One of those "So I was thinking"......As my husband rolls his eyes.
I really would love to build and have a plan that I really like.
We like doing things that are fun---not to the point of not enjoying it...So I see this as something we can work towards that won't cost an arm and a leg---HOpefully!

kungfufrijters
10-21-2008, 06:01 PM
I started researching the whole self-build alternative construction biz about three years ago and I have found it facinating. There is a pile of different ways to do structure, infill, foundations, heating/cooling methods. I never thought there were so many way to shelter one's self. The neatest thing I've found is these methods are far better then conventional construction techniques, mostly because they are hundreds or thousands of years old and more developed. Anyway enjoy the new toy shop of ideas :)

twinpines
10-23-2008, 08:05 AM
i no that here in the states u can pay so much per tree and acually cut off state land!as far as trucking im sure its the same as any other log

Switzer
03-05-2009, 04:14 PM
I live in the states but have been looking at land online.It seems Ontario recreation land is very affordable.I know the timber rights usually belong to the crown but I believe you are allowed to use trees from your own property to build a cabin.(Correct me if I am wrong)I just want a small cabin up there,No bigger than 800 sq.ft.I would like to partner with a like minded individual or two and share costs,Labor,and ownership.I want to be on a lake,river or at least a large pond.I want to build a summer retreat.i can only get up there 2or3 weeks a year for now.So this will be a long process.Any advice or ideas are appreciated.Thanks

R_Cullen
09-10-2010, 05:44 PM
Just signed up to this forum and discovered this thread. I live in Ontario Canada(just 30min southwest of Ottawa) and was hoping for updates. I've been researching where to buy materials myself. cheap. Was contemplating if it was possible to cut logs from Crown land, has anyone tried this route before? I'm having a hard time finding any straight answers, but essentially I know that there would be a stumpage fee, and a permit may be necessary, and its only in certain parts of Ontario which could be very far away. I'm also trying to find local loggers so if anyone has had good luck with a local guy around here please let me know.
I haven't taken the course yet, though I'm hoping to take it next year, as soon as possible. Am holding off on buying property until I take the class but I will be staying in southern Ontario. I don't plan to build for another 1-2 years so I am taking my time collecting tools and developing my list of contacts so that I will be fully prepared. Any help on where I can harvest good logs cheaply will be very appreciated thanks!

panderson03
09-13-2010, 07:31 AM
welcome. we do have a few members in Canada, some of whom are building now. perhaps they can respond to your questions. again, welcome!

Timberwolf
09-14-2010, 05:01 PM
I was begining to feel there wasn't enough crazy people around to keep me company. R_Cullen, you're pretty close to me. I'm about 40mins NW of Ottawa. Welcome to the club!

opera
09-26-2014, 06:45 AM
Hello, I just signed up today. This is an old thread, so if any of you are still on the forum, I wonder if you could give an update on how your home constructions went? I am looking into land in Lanark country, about 1/2 hour southwest of Ottawa. Were you able to obtain permits? Were you able to build a primary residence with trees off your own property? (My nephew tells me this is only possible in unorganized townships.) Thanks so much.:)