PDA

View Full Version : Help! Framing joinery for DIY log garage?

maplewood
02-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Hello. My first post.

I am planning on building a log garage, using fir and spruce harvested from my own property.
I'll frame it out of round logs, post and beam fashion. I haven't finalized how I'll finish the walls: slabs, boards, vertical half logs, etc.

My basics: 26' wide x 32' long. Two 10' tall bays on the ground level, full loft for storage. 4/12 metal roof. Already have sono tubes: 3 rows of 5 tubes at 8' spacing. Rows are 13' apart.

My dilema: I don't know how to join my logs for my framing.
I'll flatten my log beams on 2 sides with a chain saw, so my post-beam joint will be flat-flat.
But if my posts are from floor to roof (say 14' tall on the outside walls), and I want to have a loft floor (say at 11'), how do I join the log floor joists to my log post?
And when I attach my log rafters to my log beams, do I notch them so I again have a horizontal flat-flat connection?

Pictures would help! :-)
Thanks!

edkemper
02-24-2010, 03:01 PM
First let me say, welcome.

You really need to read through the non-member sections and then take the class. You have far more questions than you know. All is covered in the class.

fossten
02-24-2010, 03:17 PM
What Ed said.

But I have some questions for you:

1. How many houses have you built before?

2. Have you built a log home before?

3. What made you want to build out of logs?

rreidnauer
02-24-2010, 07:25 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, it sounds like you are planning a timberframe-log hybrid construction method. If so, then typical mortise and tenon practices would probably be best for most of your joinery.

maplewood
02-27-2010, 05:07 AM
Hello Fossten,

Thanks for your reply. I've built two log kit homes. Very simple - like Lincoln logs.

I want to build with log framing this time because it is attractive, inexpensive and a challenge. I'm not looking to take a course, build a showcase home or keep out all the drafts. I just want a solid, functional garage / barn, for my tractor, trailer and for storage.

I am looking for the 4 joints I mentioned: post to beam, rafter to beam, floor joist to post, and bracing.

If you, or anyone else, could help with these 4 joinery questions, I'd be very thankful! :-)

PS - hope the land offer goes your way. Location, location, location! My 6 acres on a stream means home, camp and retirement all in one!