PDA

View Full Version : Buying building materials in the US and shipping them overseas

Philip Meyers
10-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I will be buying building materials and tools and having them shipped to me in Japan. It would be nice to find some place that will consolidate my materials and ship them out to me--that would mean that I don't have to depend solely on some place like Home Depot.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Philip

Bjorn
10-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Hi Philip,
There are lots of freight forwarders that will do that for you. I would imagine that your best bet would be any port city on the west coast. I ship a lot of break bulk (loose item) to Europe, and there are lots of freight forwarders here in Florida that compete for my business. Their services typically include receiving goods to be shipped in their warehouse, and then shipping it in consolidated containers. That way you only pay for shipping your own stuff, and not the entire container. On the Japan side the freight forwarder typically works with a local customs agent who will declare your goods and have it ready for pickup at his warehouse. Usually a very painless procedure.
Bjorn

Philip Meyers
10-14-2009, 10:32 PM
I'll do a bit of googling and see what I can find.

bmurphy96
10-15-2009, 05:14 AM
Where in FL are you Bjorn? We live near Pensacola.
?keith?
http://www.paragon-cs.com/shiloh

Bjorn
10-15-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm in Fort Lauderdale, but my property is in Kenai, Alaska. Planning for retirement and a 20x20 log cabin. I plan on digging and pouring next summer.

bmurphy96
10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
http://www.paragon-cs.com/shiloh

Simple Mind
10-15-2009, 10:55 AM
Hey, do you work for an airline? Your story matches somebody I know.

Bjorn
10-15-2009, 12:39 PM
Yes,
I do. Where are you and how do we know each other?

Simple Mind
10-15-2009, 01:06 PM
loghomedude (at) gmail.com
or
Jason Mauk/Jetblue

RDJ
10-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey BJORN, I live in Anchorage and I play on the Kenai Peninsula in the summer. We were just looking at lots down there. I would be interested in seeing your digs and possibly lending a hand if time allows.

Let me know if your interested...rdj
Jonesrdplus3@gmail.com or rogerjones@gci.net

Best Regards...rdj

Bjorn
10-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Hi RDJ,
My lot is located on the Kenai Spur Hwy. between Soldotna and Kenai. It?s a subdivision called Cottage Estates. So far 1 cabin built in the whole subdivision (took 20 years). I have 1 acre, and I'm working on buying a couple of lots next to mine. Advantage: Outside of both city limits; therefore no building restrictions. No inspectors. Got that in writing before I paid for the land. I realized my luck while listening to Ellsworth and Steve lamenting about the inspectors they have had to deal with.
I'll drive my RV up in the spring, and the plan is to get the footers dug during the summer season. I'll keep the forum updated as to the exact schedule.

whatsalog
10-17-2009, 10:17 AM
i am a kenai guy.. on beaver loop. have a building lot in sterling. drop a line if you like--
ops(at-) dynadive dot com--

Bjorn
10-19-2009, 03:50 PM
Hi whatsalog,
what do you know about the availability of beetle kill trees for the general public on the Kenai? I have enough trees for my cabin on my land, but would feel a lot better if I could get free logs locally. I know there are thousands of dead acres in the immediate area.

RPM
10-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Ok, I've got all my logs harvested and up off the ground (doug fir and cedar) Fir for the walls, rafters, perlins and the big cedar for the ridge posts and beams. My big question? Do I wait until after the December class to begin peeling, or should I start now? It's been raining here in Oregon, so my logs are getting wet (they're laid out under of bunch of oak trees so as to not be in direct sunshine (whenever that will be!). Do I need to be worried about the wet bark? If so, do I treat? and with what? or do I peel? then treat? with what? I know...I know....I'll learn all this in the December class, but can my logs wait that long? We were logging on the ranch, so I had to take my house logs now, otherwise I would have waited until after the class.

2 cents
10-20-2009, 07:13 AM
They will be fine for a few months. Are they up off the ground though? (laid on top of some "sacrificial logs" so they are not right in the dirt?)

It's best to treat them right after peeling. :)

2 cents
10-20-2009, 07:18 AM
oops, I missed that you do have them up off the ground. excellent! :)

RPM
10-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for responding to my post. I'm glad I don't have to deal with the peeling right now. I'd rather do it after I've taken the class in december.

whatsalog
11-17-2009, 12:33 AM
plenty of opportunity for quality logs here. beetle kill as well. just talk to the guys ellsworth says to talk to and the forest will open up to you. costs are pretty reasonable, you just may have to pay for the ice road to get to them.

if you really want free free alaskan logs you can apply for the houselog program up north.

RDJ
07-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Bjorn, we just bought a nice lot up near Sheep Creek Lodge for about 5K. We are looking at some land on the Kenai as well, seems to be some good deals in the Sterling and Soldotna area. I am going down to the penninsula from the 10th of July through the 16th. We will be dippin reds and expect to be busy for most of the week putting up fish. If I get some time I would like to check the area where your at and see how your doing. Once fishing is done we will start dirt work up in the valley, hopefully have pier blocks done by freeze up.
Drop a line if you can find the time.
regards...rdj

RDJ
07-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Bjorn,
My wife and I are driving to Nikiski on Saturday morning to look at a lot, we just bought a lot up North in Willow and want to have one down where we fish as well??.?
???W?e? ?f?o?u?n?d? ?o?n?e? ?t?h?a?t? ?h?a?s? ?g?a?s? ?a?n?d? ?e?l?e?c?t?r?i?c? ?a?b?o?u?t? ?2?5?0? ?f?e?e?t? ?a?w?a?y? ?a?n?d? ?a?l?r?e?a?d?y??? ?h?a?s? ?a? ?s?m?a?l?l? ?p?a?d? ?o?n? ?i?t??? ?a?n?d? ?s?e?e?m?s? ?t?o? ?b?e? ?p?r?i?c?e?d? ?r?i?g?h?t?.?
??If you don't mind I am going to try and locate Cottage Estates and see how you are progressing. I would like to see the footers your putting in, we have a short summer so I don't know how far we can get this year.
Regards,...rdj??????????????????? ????