PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with the "Ripsaw" portable mill?

Kama
05-19-2005, 03:51 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Ripsaw mill? I'm a woodworker, so I can get a lot of mileage out of a larger mill, but I'm not interested in putting a lot of time or money into it right now. Space is another immediate issue for me too. I usually have a local sawyer come out to do my milling.

I've seen in a couple of the other threads, a negative tone towards band saw style blades for mills. In theory it seems like the way to go: thinner kerf= less wood being cut= faster and easier on the motor. Properly tensioned blade reduces travel. Even with a saw blade you can get travel if you go to fast. Can anyone educate me with their experience? Thanks.

Andy

rreidnauer
05-19-2005, 06:06 AM
I'm interested in opinions as well. As Kama has said, I've read some negative reports on bandmills, though I suspect many are from makers of circular or chainsaw style mills, (just like cable TV says satellite TV sucks, and vice versa) or from people that never used a bandmill. I've been considering a Hud-son bandmill for myself, and sure would like to get honest opinions from folks that have actually used multiple styles of mills.

nobleknight
05-19-2005, 06:35 AM
05-19-05

Hey,

I've looked into these mills. First they are expensive, second where do you store this monster. Bandsaw mills have three problems. The blades are expensive, and they can wonder around knots and other imperfections. Finally, you have to physically rotate the log to make second cuts. In our case, we want 4x10 joists.

However, the most impressive unit I've looked at is the Peterson Saw mill.
Also, the 10" blade model runs $14,000-$17,000. There are no used models on the market to date. These saws use swing blade technology. One pass cuts the vertical, then the head of the saw pivots 90 degrees, and cuts the horizontal. The log does not have to be moved. You have instant finished lumber. If you remember, in one of the videos in class, a man Skip knew used a machine similar to this technology. He may have been ahead of his time.

You can see this saw at www.petersonsawmills.com

Tom
class 01-15-05

rreidnauer
05-19-2005, 08:35 AM
Have you used bandmills nobleknight? I'm just trying to sort experiences from opinions, as I take opinions with a grain of salt :)

Most saws other than bandmills cost far more than I can budget at this time. I can't imagine that blades cost that much more than the $21 bandblades for the model I'm considering, but then, I really don't know life expectancy of each style. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for true experiences using sawmills.

For having to roll my lumber for certain cuts, I don't mind doing that, if it's going to save me $10K+ that can be used in my home. (heck. For that matter, I don't mind getting up to change the channel on the TV either, so I guess it's personal preference)

Don't get me wrong though, I'd love nothing more than to have a full blown mill with every bell and whistle, but I just want to know if it's really necessary for me to go beyond an inexpensive mill for non-commercial jobs.

ChainsawGrandpa
05-19-2005, 05:10 PM
The Ripsaw is about $1,600. Best to try out the saws.
I have used the Peterson and hate it, the next guy might
just love it. Best to go to an expo and get hands-on
experience with the mills you are considering.

-Rick

John Beathard
08-25-2005, 07:58 PM
LOOK AT THE "LUCAS MILL" SWING HEAD DESIGN FOR AROUND $8OOO.00. NO LOG LIFTING OR TURNING -A FINISHED BOARD WITH EACH PASS. NO NEED TO SLAB FIRST THEN EDGE.

ChainsawGrandpa
08-26-2005, 06:29 AM
My mistake...I have used the Lucas, not the Peterson mill. Same
style, same concept. The Lucas is supposed to be very fast, but
I really didn't think so. Was very unimpressed, but then, cheap,
fast, and easy is in the eye of the beholder.
My first choice would be a big Woodmizer. I have spent more time
on the LT40HD than with the Lucas and am very impressed. Since I
don't care to spend $35,000 for the big Woodmizer, and don't care
to use a little Woodmizer, I have decided to go with the Procut style chainsaw mill. The only disadvantage for me will be the big kerf.

JMO...-Rick

gregorama
08-26-2005, 08:07 AM
I'd like to pass on one second-hand vote for the Lucas, sorry Rick.. I visited a guy up in Marblemount; found him in the Little Nickel, selling a generator. Turns out he's a Skip-student from way back, and has built a 3 story A-Frame that's just HUGE, and 20 feet from a raging river. Pretty cool; wish I could remember his name (Ellsworth, you know of him?). Anyway, he used a Lucas with one set of extension rails to mill wood from his own lots. All the 4x10, 2x6, 2x4, flooring, decking, window trim (4x10 window bucks and headers - wow!). He also had a slabbing attachment and was making spalted maple table and bar tops; 1 was about 5 feet by 8 feet. He was a huge fan, and highly recommended Bailey's as a source. I didn't see it in action, but the concept seems sound; no moving of the log once set. Bailey's has online videos....

Don't know if he ever used a bandmill; maybe he was just happy to be milling at all! :P

BTW, anyone know of an "Expo" coming up where I can look at them firsthand?

Greg

ChainsawGrandpa
08-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head! Anyone would be happy
to just have a mill and get to it. For some reason it's just a
lot of fun, and the lumber sure is cheap. The Lucas seems to
excel at cutting through and through. It did take a little work
to remove the drift though. My biggest problem is that I cut
for grade, which most always means quarter sawn. This is
harder with the Procut or the Lucas. The hydraulic package on
the HD series makes easy work of it. Even so, when I was cutting
2 1/4" backs for archtop guitars it took about six hours to get
about 200 sets. Had I been using a Procut it might have been
much longer. Another disadvantage was that the cants were
only about 4' long. So short they almost didn't fit between the
toe boards. You're also right about a logging expo. Everyone
will have a favorite, and it's just best to try them out before buying.

-Rick

Mainesteader
10-13-2008, 02:29 PM
Andrew and Debbie Gallagher are currently building a log home in Maine.

Well I can't say that I have alot of experience with the ripsaw, but I do have one. I bought it out of the Uncle Henry's up here in Maine. They go for around 1600+ new without you chainsaw power head. The guy I bought it from had messed it up a little so I got it pretty cheap, I thought that I would have to send it to the manufacturer in AL for repairs so I sat on it for a while. As it turns out all it needed was a $40. part and I was able to get it going myself! I made my first cuts the other day, it was really cool! I am going to be cutting some rafters for my house soon, I have enough guide beams to do a 30 foot timber (not possible for most portable sawmills). The 2x6 guide beams break down into 5 foot lengths the whole set up is super easy to store and transport (even in my minivan). The boards I cut were eastern cedar and were one step removed from a planed board with a new blade. I have done a fair amount of research on portable mills and am very excited to have gotten my hands on a Rip Saw. BTW it also can do clapboard, I'm thinking of doing some live edge cedar clapboard for the gable ends.

Andrew