PDA

View Full Version : Interfacing a log wall to an existing adobe wall

Richardf
05-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Hello all, just joined the forum and am hoping to get some input on a question I have. I am going to start adding on to an old adobe building that I own, and I am going to do this with logs I am wondering how I would go about interfacing a log wall to an dirt wall, any input would be greatly appreciated.

hawkiye
05-05-2005, 01:12 AM
Probably no easy way to do it. I would suggest building the log structure as a seperate building butted up against the adobe building with an opening in the log wall where you you will have the opening in the adobe wall. Chinking where they meet to keep the weather out.

If you use the butt and pass method for the log structure you can use short log stubs to turn the corner at the adobe wall leaving most of the adobe exposed. This however will weaken the log structure to some degree making it dependeant on the adobe wall for that end, which is why I would build it as a seperate building instead.

What ever you do it if you want to tie the existing adobe wall to the new log structure you could put posts or beams upright on the other side of the adobe at the corners and spaced across the wall and use all thread through the adobe to the log structure to bolt them together. It will fun tying in the roof too. ;)

Good luck

Blayne