PDA

View Full Version : Too Young?

alk3allonblack
04-19-2005, 04:40 AM
I'm only 16, and I'm already looking at plans and financing for building a log home in maybe 10 years, maybe a bit earlier. Does anybody think I'm a little too young to be looking into this stuff? I don't know, it seems wierd that I already have stuff picked out for something far from now. Oh, and I'm open to anyone's help on what I should be doing to help plan ahead.

Shields
04-19-2005, 05:13 AM
You know I was in the same position when I was your age. Not in the same sence as with the log homes but other homes. I purchased my first home when I was 19 I'm now 27 and have done 11 homes (fixed and resold) have a few rentals and also own my own contracting business. You are never to young to start to plan for the future. It sounds like you probably have a passion for this and if that is the case then you will never work a day in your life. If you like what you do then it dosn't feel like work and you don't mind getting up and making the most of your day. The hardest part of your indeavor is not going to be how to accomplish your goals but rather having the determination to not listen to all of the nay-sayers and keep moving forward.

RockEngineer
04-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Go for it. If something has your interest don't let others defer you from your goals. At 16 I talked to a neighbor who was an engineer and loved what he was doing. I decided I wanted to be an engineer. I still love figuring out how things work and what happens when you do things to structures. I especially love the destructive testing. I have never regretted my decision and I have never had a career change. Most people can't say that.

Reb
04-19-2005, 11:58 AM
I'm only 16, and I'm already looking at plans and financing for building a log home in maybe 10 years, maybe a bit earlier. Does anybody think I'm a little too young to be looking into this stuff? I don't know, it seems wierd that I already have stuff picked out for something far from now. Oh, and I'm open to anyone's help on what I should be doing to help plan ahead.

My younger brother, who was 16, bought an apartment building, with the help of my father. My brother had saved his money from working to buy a car, but my dad convinced him that he should put the money into an apartment building, rent it out, and use the profit to buy a car. He did just that, and now, at age 18, he's got a small, steady income from his apartment building, and doesn't have to work at McDonald's like all of his friends. ;)

I would say, save your money now, and in a year or two, you can probably build something. Three years, if you don't work much. Just direct-deposit all of your paychecks into a savings account, and don't touch them, and in a few years, build a house. Then sell it, and you'll have a nice little profit for yourself, and you can pay for college, build another house, buy a car, or do whatever you want.

Right now, when you don't have any expenses or responsibilities is the best time to save your money and try some fun projects.

hawkiye
04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Don't let anyone talk you out of your dreams! Your not to young. I wish I had done a lot of things when I was younger. Now is the best time since you have little or no expenses and don't have a wife and family obligations that take up your time and money.

Blayne

ChainsawGrandpa
04-22-2005, 08:34 PM
Check the website. One member (Jerry Sargeant?) was 16
when he built a small log cabin. Skip & friends inspected it
and deemed it perfect.

I'm glad to hear you have the motivation to do something
like this. Keep up the enthusiasm and hold on to your dreams.

-Rick

rreidnauer
04-24-2005, 02:47 PM
Definitely not too young to plan your future. You are on the right track. I wish I had the foresight then. Now, I'm 33 and just gearing up for home ownership. I guess it could be worse, there's a lot more years between 33 and dead. :wink:

Have you taken the class yet? It really helps with the planning aspects as well.

karmrd
04-27-2005, 03:08 PM
30 years ago I could have bought as much land as I wanted for $800.00 an acre where I live. Most of it was available with owner financing to boot. That very same land today if there was any left would bring 20k or more per acre cash. Check out the numbers:

50 acres @ 800.00 = 40,000.00
50 acres @ 25000.00=1,250,000.00

Don't wait to buy real estate, buy real estate and wait.

annie
05-28-2005, 01:21 PM
You're never too young to start planning for your future and your dreams!

I had the same dream when I was in my teens but I, like a dingbat, decided to listen to everyone else rather than myself. If I could turn back the time, I would begin building my dreams while I was still in high school and not just be starting now at 32.

Annie

Mark OBrien
06-29-2005, 05:09 AM
I had a dream and a goal at your age and I let myself get side-tracked. I would tell you to follow your dreams and goals and don't let anybody tell you different! Be smart about it and learn from good people like Ellsworth and Steve and Richard Rock who have been there and done that. Whatever you decide to do, don't let the naysayers and negative people deter you from your goal like I did. GO FOR IT!!!

B in NOLA
07-15-2005, 01:40 AM
Man, does this bring back some memories! :D

I can remember, at about 9, begging my dad to buy me a tool belt, a hard hat and Vibram-soled work boots. I wanted to play general contractor, you see, so I believe we've got something in common. Other than a brief dream of becoming an architect, I've dreamt of physically building my own home for practically my entire life!

Now that I've entered my 40s, I can say that I've bought and sold a couple of homes, but I still can't say that I've built one. I, for one, am happy to read the words of a kindred spirit and, furthermore, I'd say to keep your plans fixed in your mind no matter what your life brings you. If you really love something, you'll eventually get there.

I'd also say to keep learning all you can about being self-sufficient. Never shy away from those tough problems you'll encounter as you grow older -- especially those mechanical and electrical ones! These days, it always amazes me what amazes others. I mean, many folks I meet these days are literally shocked to learn that I've never taken an automobile to a mechanic -- not even my diesel powered trucks...and you should've seen the faces on my neighbors as they watched me replacing the injection pump on my Cummins Turbo Diesel last year...I guess growing up on a farm has its benefits.

Anyway, the point is that there's usually a way to get around just about anything. If you tackle those problems others find impossible, you'll get a great deal of satisfaction -- and you'll be learning invaluable lessons as well! Keep those ideas fixed in your mind no matter how long it takes you to realize them. If your idea is to build your own home, you're in great company! BTW, I'm on the verge of realizing mine, so keep on planning. :)

B in NOLA

ChainsawGrandpa
07-15-2005, 07:31 AM
karmrd gave you the numbers for appreciation. That's very close
to 11.5%/year! Get land now! Get a job, get two or three jobs,
but get some money, find good land at great prices, start your dream
now and do something (trust, incorporate?) to protect you dream
from greedy lawyers, ex-wives, good ol' boy politicians, etc..

As for doing all your own work...gotta tell this story of what happened
to me.
We (well...I) bought a nice Bronco XLT a few years back. It started
to have problems shortly after we bought it. My wife and I decided
it had to go and we placed it in the Nickel Ads for a very low price.
A buyer showed up, drove it around and then said he needed to have
his wife look at it (of course...let's see if the little woman likes the
interior and the paint scheme matches the bow in the poodles hair. :x
We drove to a local ritzy office, and his wife came out. I could hear
the background music as she seemed to strut in slow motion like a
super model. This woman was stunning! She looked it over, then said
"Pop the hood".
Huh? Pop the hood?
She looked at the engine made some comments, had me start the
truck, and then shut it off. When the truck wouldn't shut off and made
some noise I apologized and said that I had just relaced the starter
and the Bendix gear must not be disingaging. She came back with;
"No, it's caused by (insert technichal talk here) and it's fairly endemic
to Fords, especially the years (blah, blah, blah to blah, blah) that have
the (more tech talk) with the blah, blah." "We'll take it."
I then watched her turn and in super slow motion strut back to the office as Jimi Hendrix played a hot rendition of Foxy Lady in my head.

I turned to her husband and said, "Ok, tell me. What just happened ?"

He explained that her dad owned a farm and would only buy Fords.
All his sons were to know how to do anything to any Ford. Only
thing was, he didn't have sons, only daughters. When this woman
was young she was already able to remove an engine, tear it down,
rebuild it, and put it back in the vehicle.

Whatta woman!!

My only comment was; "Does she have a sister?". :wink:

tmhburley98
07-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Enjoy dreaming
focus your energy
but above all else PLAN
everybody has had a dream!!
But Sucess gives it's honor to the calculating dreamers, and to the ones who are willing to plan and relpan. These individuals will always :!: see their dreams become reality!!!!
YES!! YES!!! YES!!! :!:You have the idea! PLAN, PLAN and REPLAN "everyday" :D if you can, and your dreams will become the stepping stones of your life and that of many more dreams to come!!! Because life will bring more dreams.
Most, lives are lived, as if someone slipped off one of those stepping stones and winded up down river, all washed up or still lost.
Live it up, enjoy the best of your dreams and your youth :lol: !!!

Yet, My conscious says, asap, begin saving up a wade of money, with the automatic withdrawal system at your local bank. Be your own boss, be creative, work many jobs.
Then as soon as your old enough start, putting a certain % of your earnigns, into a money market account. :!: :wink: And you will have the nest egg you need to buy your property and build your home.
But, please don't finace it!!! never owe anyone money!! The mask worn buy those of us, who are indebt is a heavy, sad and burdensome thing, that leads us deeper and deeper into despair.
:!: :evil: This wisdom, few can swallow, but those who do can have it all!!
Oh ya! You will thank yourself for planning now! We are rooting for you!