PDA

View Full Version : 6x6 treated timbers

Hank Fannin
09-07-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm considering using 6x6 treated timbers as the walls for a 1200 sq.ft. rectangle shaped home. I've read some of the concerns about stacked square timbers maybe rotting due to capillary action. Using treated wood should eliminate this concern. These timbers are available at most home improvement stores up to 16 ft lengths. The average price is around $2.50 a linear ft. so they are affordable plus can be easily handled by one or two people. I figured my walls would cost me around $6K and a lot of those stores will deliver for free.

I've seen a picture of a home built this way using 4x4 timbers and it looked very good.

My major concern is any possible effects from the chemicals used to treat the wood. I can't find anything negative or that leads me to believe that living in a home of treated wood could harm anyone, BUT, I still have that nagging doubt.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge on the subject?

I'm building in CO near Colorado Springs and so far haven't found any good deals on logs. I live in FL so I have do everything via the net and email which certainly doesn't help.

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Hank

mlr1968
09-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006.
I would not use the pt 6x6 in a living section, on a show back about 4 months ago about mysteries illness, a lady became extremly ill and the doc, found some of the chemicals used in pt lumber in her blood and assumed her husband was poisioning her!! turns out the majority of the house they were building was pt lumber, that was makning her deathly ill! I would really reconsider using pt lumber for my living section, if u have concerns about rot issues, use large overhangs and gable ends abut 3 and half to 4 ' on overhangs or a wrap around covered porch and about 6 and half to 7 ' for gable ends. Get the wood as far way from the ground as possible, min. of 18" off the ground, this prevents ground to woood contact and also splash back on your timbers. Consider using a more rot restaiant wood, if possible. Water does not cause rot, it is water that is ALLOWED to stay on the log that will cause decay! Hope this is helpful.

chadfortman
09-10-2008, 07:35 PM
Look, listen and learn
Im Your Huckleberry

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/new-pressure-treated-wood-decks.aspx
i dont trust the stuff i always wash my hands when i touch this stuff.

frederick
09-12-2008, 04:29 PM
I would use a borate treated lumber instead of pressure treated lumber.
Or you could look into the blue lumber stuff. I don't know what they use but it resists mold mildew and rot.
I agree with Mir 1968, the best way to build, include overhangs and wrap around porches that keep the water off as much as possible.

kennyb79
10-29-2008, 02:51 PM
I agree with the others about the dangers of PT wood...its nothing I would want to use in my living quarters. If you want to use them because their easy and convienent, maybe 6x6 regular timbers from a lumber mill would be better. I would assume if you treated them yourself they would also last longer...

Lancer27
03-18-2009, 04:49 AM
I have considered doing the same thing, using 6x6 timebers for the wall structure. I live in the SE and there are wood mills all around the area so the material is locally available. Purchasing untreated dried timber, then treating it yourself with some of the safe and natural preservatives now available ( I do not know of any specific brands but have heard about some while watching shows on log homes) should provide a very cost efficient structure that will be safe and durable.

Timber
03-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Attended Class March 25th/26th of 2006. I would not use the pt 6x6 in a living section, on a show back about 4 months ago about mysteries illness, a lady became extremly ill and the doc, found some of the chemicals used in pt lumber in her blood and assumed her husband was poisioning her!! turns out the majority of the house they were building was pt lumber, that was makning her deathly ill! I would really reconsider using pt lumber for my living section, if u have concerns about rot issues, use large overhangs and gable ends abut 3 and half to 4 ' on overhangs or a wrap around covered porch and about 6 and half to 7 ' for gable ends. Get the wood as far way from the ground as possible, min. of 18" off the ground, this prevents ground to woood contact and also splash back on your timbers. Consider using a more rot restaiant wood, if possible. Water does not cause rot, it is water that is ALLOWED to stay on the log that will cause decay! Hope this is helpful.

hmm? i am planning a pole barn and ah they use treated post. one co. said they use 3 ?2x6 laminated together treated only on ground part. there are plastic sleeves you can put on them also. why did not the husband get sick? possible she was home all day while he was off working? anyways gives me some concern - i can be in a pole barn on my property in a month or even quicker so i am going this method for now