PDA

View Full Version : Newbe with a question or two

Lolo-Steve
04-02-2005, 08:21 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Steve, living in Texas (in the Dallas area), I'm 45 and hope to be getting married in Nov. of this year. Not sure just how I found the loghomebuilders website tonight but it really got me to thinking. I know if I did not have a house/apartment payment or rent that I could afford to put back more money for my retirement and for a better life.

I have a friend who owns a "Kit" built log home and boy I do not want to go that route. His love for log homes went out the window about 4 years after the house was "built". I have helped him work on his house once or twice and I would never buy a kit after those experiences.

This a a great forum and a great website, I hope to be a good contributor and learn as much as I can from all of you.

hawkiye
04-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Welcome aboard Steve. If you dig through the main site there is quite a bit of information there and then visit the links of students sites and you'll pick up a lot there and see the actual process as recorded and posted on student websites.

Skip is basically retired now and His Son Ellsworth and instructor Steve White have taken the reins a far as I know. They are the moderator here also. There is no book by Skip but I have heard he will someday. My "guess" is it's a sort of martial arts thing about teaching/passing on the art correctly and fully and that can't be done by book. ;)

This loghome thing is addicting but I can't think of much better then teaching people how to build beautiful log homes and become mortgage free. Enjoy!

Blayne

Lolo-Steve
04-02-2005, 08:53 PM
Welcome aboard Steve.

There is no book by Skip but I have heard he will someday. My "guess" is it's a sort of martial arts thing about teaching/passing on the art correctly and fully and that can't be done by book. ;)

This loghome thing is addicting but I can't think of much better then teaching people how to build beautiful log homes and become mortgage free. Enjoy!

Blayne

Thanks Blayne, I am reading and reading and reading :) I need to look at some of the Students websites and use them for more inspiration, thanks for the ideal :) I am lucky in one way, I already own some land here in Texas (bought it twenty years ago from a tax auction) but there is not one tree over 7 feet tall :cry: and the land is in a county that has no building inspector so no goverment to deal with ... I think the septic system has to be checked by the health department :shock: but thats all I have to worry about.

I would love to see some of the houses built in Texas, if any member has a website I can check out I would love to check it out..

Ok time for me to go back to my reading :)

freeloader
04-05-2005, 04:54 AM
I've been waiting for someone who has built in Texas to pop up so I could glean some knowledge from them and be awed by their creation, but as of yet no-one has appeared. We do have some people starting to build though.

I live just north of Conroe, Texas in Willis. I'll be building in the next year or so.

I want to say this, I was a little skeptical at first about investing the money for the loghomebuilders class and the trip to Washington state, but I discovered that the technique that they teach and the manner in which it is delivered is almost priceless. There's a commaradery that developes between all of the people that embark on this endeavor. In Texas for sure the technique that is taught is practically unknown, and it is by far the simplest, strongest, and the one that will allow even soft wood to last like it was used in your attic. The technique majors on protecting the logs.

I would engoy a conversation anytime, neighbor :)

Fred Casey

farmercolby
04-08-2005, 08:25 AM
I was just looking at the log home pictures and can't wait to build, we are still looking for a lot. Seems like property is getting more expensive. We went to the class in January, we loved it it was very informative.