PDA

View Full Version : Interpretation on covenants

pdthct
03-29-2005, 04:36 AM
Would like your read of this with regards to log building. Thanks.

"No residence shall be erected, placed, or altered on any lot within the Property unless it has an exterior finish of wood siding, clapboards, shingles, masonry, vinyl or other quality finish...[remainder talks about tar paper,tarred shingles, tarred siding]"

To me it would probably exlude a log residence. I don't see any other clauses that say anything about a log outbuilding or requirement for particular siding for outbuildings.

spin05
03-29-2005, 04:48 AM
i do believe your log house would qualifiy as wood siding.Enless of course your using the new plastic logs by RONCO................just kidding

kyle
03-29-2005, 05:13 AM
I agree with Spin, your logs would fall under the classification of "wood siding".

spin05
03-29-2005, 06:13 AM
we have a covant for no mobile homes.One of my nieghbors said if i bought a kit loghome it might be construde as a mobile home.I said your house arrived on a truck too and in many small pieces.So what the hells the diffrence!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Some peoples inturpatation of something is total diffrent from others.I try to apply the common sense way to it.But that doesnt always work with some people.Just approch your nieghbors and ask.I think you find most will approve of a log home.Besides it will increase there value too.

Basil
03-30-2005, 07:24 AM
"or other quality finish"

this covenant is intentionally ambiguous so as to allow your logs, stucco, etc, along with anything that might come up in the future. You just have to make sure that it can be argued that your exterior is a quality finish. Logs wouldn't be a problem.

A kit home is not a mobile home. If your restriction is against mobile homes you're safe. I can't think of any jurisdiction where it would be considered a mobile home, but definately check locally. If you restriction is against MANUFACTURED homes, you might have problems. Manufactured homes are a larger class of structures, like Jim Walter homes where they deliver the home one wall at a time, already constructed.

pdthct
03-30-2005, 06:05 PM
Appreciate your input. I was unsure of what the siding in "wood siding" would include and what "quality finish" meant when I first read this.