PDA

View Full Version : 2003 International Building Code

mbolin
03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a free copy of the 2003 Int. Building Codes? Or view them online somewhere? My google search ended up at the ICC website where they can be purchased on cd for $166. Thanks for any help.

ChainsawGrandpa
03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
I have access to the new codes. They are very
similar to the UBC. Let me have your questions
and I might be able to check this Friday night.
Won't be able to reply until Tuesday though. Will
do my best to make a thorough research but no
guarantees.
-Rick

NordicPrincess
03-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Hello,

If you go to www.bookmarki.com, there is a 2003 International Building Code soft cover for $77.40, a lot better than the $166.
There are numerous books available there pertaining to construction.

There's a short description below of this book. Hope this helps.

Shanara

Detailed Description
Published by the International Code Council
This comprehensive code features time-tested safety concepts, structural and fire- and life-safety provisions covering means of egress, interior finish requirements, comprehensive roof provisions, seismic engineering provisions, innovative construction technology, occupancy classifications, and the latest industry standards in material design. The International Building Code is founded on broad-based principles that make possible the use of new materials and new building designs.

Request your complimentary copy of the Seismic Design Parameters CD-ROM, FREE with your purchase of the 2003 International Building Code or International Residential Code. It contains Earthquake Spectoral Response Acceleration Maps that will assist you with the Building and Residential Codes. Prepared in conjunction with the U.S. Geological Survey, Building Seismic Safety Council, and Federal Emergency Management Agency, E.V. Leyendecker, A.D. Frankel, and K.S. Rukstales. Ask for Item 8016CD in the Special Instructions box of your online shopping cart or order form.

Ellsworth
03-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Your local library might have the 2003, and if they don???t it is possible to have them purchase one for their collection.

Your local building department should also have a copy of whatever version they use. They should let you look at while you???re in their office. They might also allow copies to be made from their book.

You can look at Veeck v. Southern Building Code Congress International, Inc for some interesting information :)

http://www.abanet.org/antitrust/committees/intell_property/hiddencost.html

mbolin
03-28-2005, 10:53 AM
Ok thanks guys. I'll start with the free option(library) and go from there. My first question was about pier block depth. I was going to see if there was any substantial difference between what is recommended for WA and where we live in Alabama.

KakarotMF
04-11-2005, 03:22 PM
About pier block depths in the IRC 2003:

The Foundation Chapter doesn't really mention the phrase "pier blocks". This does not mean that they're not allowed. (Do they mention EVERY method or brand, etc). The IRC assumes alot that you're building a stick-built house. What it does say is footings should be 12" deep or to the frost line, whichever is deeper. That settles the depth issue. It also says you must have 18" tall access to the crawlspace. So unless you want to notch your sill log (your PE won't like that) or dig a hole to "walk" down into the crawlspace (and run a sump pump to collect all the water) there's your min. height: 18".

I'm just priming you to read between the lines. Remember, code books are written by insurance agencies now-a-days.

mbolin
04-12-2005, 03:43 AM
Thanks for the info, Mark.

dave
04-12-2005, 03:47 PM
hmmm, interesting read, Ellsworth.
Perhaps someone should put the code online...