PDA

View Full Version : Taking Skips class.

lmoore
03-22-2005, 10:11 PM
Hello everybody,

I would be lieing, if i told you that i didn't come to this site every night for the last month, trying to learn more about building your own log home. I'm a career woman who weighs a buck twenty five, and normally don't feel at home unless i have a hammer in my hand. I really hope i can make it to Skips class at the end of April, but i was curious about plumbing and electical? Does Skip's class cover the details? How realistic is it, that a single mom can do this all by herself, possibly with no help at all. I can picture doing my own plumbing, but putting on roof? Yikes! Do I get an "F" if i whimper while climbing up a 25 ft. ladder?

Does the class cover "A to Z" info. for building your own log home?

Any comment is greatly appreciated.

WillandHelen
03-23-2005, 02:58 AM
The class focus is more on construction of the foundation, log walls, floors, roof rafters and general construction knowledge. Anything they don't teach you specifically, they tell you some tips on how to be your own general contractor. They don't teach you how to put a toilet in....but you can figure that out yourself with a book. In other words, after the class you will see how one or two people could build a log house for a fraction of the normal cost.

Will

Mark
03-23-2005, 03:46 AM
hi IMoore...

You got to take the class. Skip and Steve will instill confidence that you did'nt know was in you. Then after the class and during construction they will be looking over your shoulder and leading you through the construction. (via this forum)

Also check out the recommended books on the home site. The Sunset books on plumbing and electrical are especialy good, and enlightening.

hawkiye
03-23-2005, 05:26 PM
When I went to the class we sat in the big dinning room in Skips house. I was naturally checking out everything on how the house was built. I noticed the light fixtures in the dinning room hanging down from the second floor joists. But I couldn't see how they were wired even though there is no ceiling and the tongue and groove is exposed. So I asked how are the wires run to the lights in here? Steve said look closer, and explained how it was done. I looked closer and saw the wires were tucked up tight in the corner where the joist meets the floor and the same color as the joists so you couldn't see them unless you really looked for them

Did that make me able to wire a house? No but it gave me some insight and they recommended some books on wiring and plumbing etc. If I remember correctly the books they recommend are listed on the main site.

The point is ask while you are there and get the books they recommend. You also have an invaluable resource here on the forums and of course with Steve and Ellsworth by phone if you need to, if and when you run into something your not sure of.

I am also not that fond of heights and beam walking so I plan to use a safety harness when ever I am up that high. I am not totally scared of heights but I am not as at ease as some framers I know. And I prefer to just not have to worry about it hence the safety harness.

Also check this story out. While it's not a Skip style home it is a testament to what a determined single mom can do:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth86.html

Go for your dreams!

Blayne

lmoore
03-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Wow! We've got some true believers here don't we. :D Well, Will, i've already put in a toilet, a sink, new doors, drywall on my old house i happily sold, (gee, i wonder why! darn thing kept breaking!) It's that main panel box (breakers) that scare me, but you're right, knowledge eliminates fear. Mark, thank for the Sunset book, I didn't see them before while I was browsing the site...you'll know I'll be ordering them as soon as i'm done with this email LOL! I will! But Blayne! You got me! I really enjoyed that article in your link! My mother (2500 miles away) is telling me that I can build my own log home! Crazy Lady! I guess I must be crazy too. God I wish i could go to the class in April! My mothers not flying in until after the 25th of april to visit and I just don't trust anyone, to watch my perfect little boy! My job transferred here from Michigan about 4 months ago and I don't know anyone! So hopefully, there'll be another class after April! I have my fingers crossed. And you Blayne, you'd think with all my fears, i would have thought about a harness! Thanks...I'll be doing that!

hawkiye
03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
Imoore,

It sounds like you have what it takes since you already prefer a hammer in your hand and have tackled projects already most single moms wouldn't even consider, and of course most of all you have the desire. Glad to hear your mom supports you. Don't let anyone kill your dreams. It will be tough at times but just keep forging ahead.

I grew up in the construction trades and when I came across Skips site it was like coming home almost. There is nothing like the satisfaction of admiring and living in something you built with your own hands and ingenuity. And when it's a beautiful log home that just increases it.

Blayne

lmoore
03-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Yes, i'm driven you guys, but i'm tired a lot...so i really appreciate your support also. I mean it....there's nothing like chasing a hyper 2 yr old after you've worked 9 hr shift listening to "no mommy, Bad mommy!" And it's a really good night with him if I'm not saying "What do you mean "Pretty Fire!" But, so far, I'm the only 30 yr. old woman I know that owns 5 tool boxes, painter poles, shop vac, 100 sq ft tarps, 4 cordless drills, ect. ect. and actually uses all of it. So I have another question!

Question: I plan to build a mother-in-laws cabin first to live rent free while building the bigger log home. Hopefully with the logs I find on the land I purchase. Now I don't mind no running water or an outhouse, but do i need to get this small cabin "maybe 500 sq ft" approved by the city (county?) also? Even if, i have no electricity and heat it with a wood burning stove? How I hate the red tape of the "Big Brother" and why do they call the gov. the big brother. My big brother would never steal from me. LOL!!! :lol:

GammaRae
03-25-2005, 08:56 AM
question 1: 500 sf - depends on your jurisdiction, but most places I've heard this to be 200 sf. HOWEVER, look into the "temporary living" codes of your jurisdiction, too. I know some of these are more lenient IF you are building a permanent residence.

question 2: big brother - read "1984".

lmoore
03-27-2005, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the info GammaRae! I ordered my sunset books! I'm excited to learn the basics of electrical! However, I feel a little disheartened you guys! I've been looking for property, have found nothing I can purchase outright!! :( I have googled, yahooed and done everything I can!) I'm not in a financial position to leave my job....suggestions? The last thing I want is a mortgage for land. I work in Bellevue and live in Kirkland. Is it a bad idea to buy .42 of acre and try to build on it? I've driven 40 miles to work and back before, but all the properties in duval or carnation are so expensive and i don't see myself driving 80 miles to work. ??? Any suggestions to finding property? I've gone to all the sights listed in the forums, not a whole lot for WA.

hawkiye
03-27-2005, 12:08 PM
When you attend the class you will get some further really good insight and ideas on how to obtain property.

For me I found a guy who sells properties in an area of Idaho all on a private contract with nothing down and as little as 200 a month for a little over an acre. I will build my first house for sale on one of those properties. My plan is to build several for sale first then whne I have enough money to buy the size property I want I will build for myself.

Not all properties are listed with realtors or period. Sometimes you just have to ask or drive around and sometimes properties are not on the market so if you see something you like you just have ask. But as I said you'll learn some more creative way in the class ;)

If you keep your attention on the goals (especially when discouraged) stick it out (even when it seems impossible) and try to be creative ideas will come to you.

It's kind of like the universe has a sense of humor and will test you out to see if your really serious and if you stick it out through all the discouragments (tests) if you will the universe sorta says gee she really is serious and then the doors will open. Ok so I got a liittle philisophical there but you get the idea ;)

Blayne

lmoore
03-27-2005, 04:26 PM
Alrighty! good to know that the class gives you ideas on this! It didn't occurr to me that not everythings listed, sorry...i had a realtor when I bought my first house, thanx! I know I may have to wait a year or two to find the right property, but I know it will be worth it! God! Sounds like you found a real deal on your property...I will have all the time in the world when mom gets here to drive around for property, and from what I can tell: you're telling me it would not be inappropriate to ask the farmer up the road if he'd be willing to sell an acre for a log home dream! My mother told me to do this (bargin lady she is!) but I thought it would rude. Okay...I'm a little uptight! But you should see what I do when the energy is pointed in the right direction. I surprise myself sometimes! And by-the-way Blayne....I don't mind you being philosophical, I'm a firm believer that if it was meant to be...it will happen. So you see, I stumbled across this sight for reason....I hope it's the one, I'm dreaming of. Happy Easter!

walkrightin
03-27-2005, 05:44 PM
lmoore,

You might find these two books recommended on the website helpful

Living Homes by Thomas Elpel has much valuable information on planning and building. The author and his wife designed and built their home in Montana while in their early 20's without borrowing money. At first they lived in a tent. They were used to outdoor living already, having hiked across the state together. Of course, they did not have a two-year-old! Elpel can help you believe that it can be done. I think you probably already have more building experience than he and his wife had when they started!

Finding and Buying Your Place in the Country by Scher & Scher tells about all you need to know on that subject. You probably could find these books at your public library. If they don't have them, tell them they need them!

You could build on a site with less than a half-acre just fine, if it has a house site and a place for a septic field. Oh, and the mother-in-law house. You are not likely to find one with enough good trees for your project, I would think, but you can find better sources of logs anyway. You should not have to pay much for logs up there where you are.

Another thing--there are many members of LHBA in your area. You would have little trouble getting some free help with building. LOADS of free advice, too! lol

Walker

GammaRae
03-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Walker is right - there are LOADS of us LHBA members in the area, Lori.

lmoore
03-28-2005, 06:24 PM
GammaRae! You're in WA! I justed noticed the tag on your photo! That's Great! I knew I was lucky when I found out the classes were so close, but I'd didn't think, there were a whole lot of you guys! Actually, I've always been sorta lucky! I get flat tires in my drive way. I run out of gas in front of gas stations. But you're not gonna believe this! I just got a new benny (bonus) from my job! Home Depot gift certificates! See what I'm saying...looking like it was meant to be! They range from 25 bucks to 200 bucks a month! Man! I'm saving every one of them for the house! Oh my goodness! (No, I'm not a goody to shoes, I just didn't think it was appropriate to swear on the site) It gets better! I have spoken with my mother, she's from louissianna (swamp lady) and she's so gun ho for the log home, she's going to give me 20,000 towards property, as long as I let her live with me! Isn't that great! She's like my best friend, and I dediced a long time ago, that I just wasn't the marrying type. So this works out very well, for me. She's disabled a little so she won't be able to help me, but she makes a great baby sitter! I feel so blessed! Even when I told her it would take years, she said "So we'll be camping for a while!" I just had to tell you guys cuz I'm one step closer!!!

lmoore
03-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Oh, and thank you for the suggestion on books, I have an English degree, so you know I will be getting them and reading them several times, I'm sure. I'm sure they will be usefull. And I really appreciate all of the help, with the books, and advise. And for some reason, I know things are only getting better from here on out. Never did mind hard work! I know it sounds crazy, but I miss it. Talk to you soon.

Lori