PDA

View Full Version : Log Cabin Lifestyle?

WillandHelen
03-20-2005, 11:34 AM
Obviously, you can live just about any way you want to and call a log cabin "home". But the class and those who choose to take it are there for more than a house made of trees. Moving out somewhere and buying cheap land and building our own house for the price of a car attracts a certain type of person. What I'd like to know is what is the vision for your lives once the house is built? Self sufficient (close...unless you can grow coffee and a coconut radio)? Long drive to work? Working from Home? It seems to me that the house is the easy part. What Next is what has got me wondering.

clairenj
03-20-2005, 06:48 PM
You can take it (lifestyle) anywhere , I think. Yes, I Mostly work from home and I think that with the worldwide web many can. Where we have chosen to live, it is more about getting as much as we want out of it wihout going to the hinterlands and thereby cutting off our families. That makes some things harder, but the benefits of staying close to our families make it worth the extra hassles. The challenge is really, are you up to sticking to your guns and doing it your way? There will be many who will doubt your methods and goals. My advise is don't talk! This forum is great! You can read all about everyone's deals and then think about yoiur goals yet again and never one time do you have to defend yourself. Unless it is on your own turf and time. Not alot of open minds here in Jersey.........

Lolo-Steve
04-05-2005, 09:45 AM
I think a lot of people who are reading this forum are thinking you have to build your house so far out in the country that you need a day or two to get to town....but that would be very wrong. In my area,Texas, there is a lot of areas close to cities with cheap land and no hassals from building inspector (if your worried about passing an inspection). I live in a apartment 33 miles from my work right now. The land I own is about 3 miles closer to my work or about three miles away from the town where I live. My point is my life style does not have to change for the worse, I do not have to give up much of anything and gain freedom from paying rent or house payments.

Noelle
05-16-2005, 10:47 AM
I see it a little different myself. I have asked myself, do I want quality of life or quanity? I know that I want quality. I rather live in a log cabin and enjoy everyday then being in a constant ratrace.

wood bug
05-17-2005, 09:58 AM
Well, first its not a thing about being "anti" anything, and its not really a mind set, there are few places where you can go to be totally isolated. The thing is being more self sufficiant and self reliant, Its personal preferance, building and living in a log house can be no differant than a conventional home, same appliances and perks if you desire. but with a romantic atmosphere. I have building trades knowledge, but would not have figured out the processes they have unless I attended the class, I am not pushing the class I'm not a salesman, but to me it is a "business/comman sense" approach. I can build my own home with little money as compared to a conventional home, that could have a good resale value if done correctly, bottom line is you do it you save thousands get it, THOUSANDS...who really likes thinking this.." I have a 30 year mortgage that I will pay till retirenment"

buckfittyone
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
I see it a little different myself. I have asked myself, do I want quality of life or quanity? I know that I want quality. I rather live in a log cabin and enjoy everyday then being in a constant ratrace.
that says it all right there,cause life as i see it to be right now is just a race to the end. no one has time to enjoy anything anymore because were all struggling to make it to the next day,week,month ect