PDA

View Full Version : Why do you want to build your own home?

somasoul
03-17-2005, 07:13 AM
What are the reasons you have for wanting to spend the next couple years pulling out splinters, applying Ben-Gay and watching your blisters grow more blisters then pop in some horrifying way? :D

In other words, why do you want to build your own log home?

GrafikFeat
03-17-2005, 07:32 AM
:shock:

Anyone wanna take a poke at this?

For me its stepping back and saying "Damn! Look at what I did!"

* I can think of a thousand other reasons but I'll leave room for the others!

Donny
03-17-2005, 09:07 AM
I like the whole idea of building your own really authentic sturdy log home. I probably won't even live in it for more then two months. I just want to build it and see how much someone is willing to pay for it. I look at it like a fun experiment. As an artist it's a way for me to be creative which I always enjoy being. I see that at this point in my life this is something that would be worth my time to create.

WillandHelen
03-17-2005, 10:02 AM
Why would anyone want to spend a lifetime of paying other people for doing something that they could do themselves for a fraction of the cost?
......Or in other words...why do you drive yourself to work...why not call a cab to take you there every day? He/she knows how to drive better than you, thats thier job.
If you think you can do something as good as the next person...why pay more for them to do it...so much more that you have to pay the bank a fortune for the opportunity to let them do it. Just because its normal doesn't mean it makes good sense. :wink:

JeffandSara
03-17-2005, 10:32 AM
Welllllll... for me, I wanted to build our own home because.....

... building a home with my husband was as much about the "journey" as about the "destination".
... we got to spend a lot of time out in the open enjoying our land in the process.
... every night I fell in bed exhausted and sore, I had the satisfaction of knowing that I was a smarter, stronger, tougher person than the person I had woken up as.
... it was an incomparable learning experience for our sons in adventure, patience, fortitude and cooperation.
... like Donny, I found it an excellent new way to express myself creatively, as well as a new and exciting experience. (Hi, Donny! :D )
... the biggest problems and frustrations of the process came when we hired people (even good professionals) to do various small parts of the construction. :evil:
... every inch of our house has a memory attached.

And maybe most of all, in a world and a time when if you have enough money, you can buy things, people, power and prestige... there was NO amount of money that could have bought THIS house, because it existed ONLY in our hearts and our vision. And until and unless Jeffrey and I choose to sell it... no amount of money every will! :D

Sara

mbolin
03-17-2005, 11:41 AM
I haven't built yet, but my primary motivation is financial. Second is that I feel I can build a better house than the so called "professionals" and have that feeling of accomplishment that others have mentioned.

JSanfilippo
03-17-2005, 01:57 PM
- having more house than we could buy
- Because "they" say you can't
- Real ownership
- Don't have to live with someone elses mistake
- "Have you seen Skip's house?!?!"
- It gives us something to do with our "free time"
- "Sweat Equity" why get another job to afford more?

A few.. no real order though ;)

hawkiye
03-17-2005, 04:43 PM
What are the reasons you have for wanting to spend the next couple years pulling out splinters, applying Ben-Gay and watching your blisters grow more blisters then pop in some horrifying way? :D

In other words, why do you want to build your own log home?

I'd gladly trade a 30 year mortgage for few splinters, some blisters and some sore muscles any day. And I'd also trade them for having to work for someone else. There is nothing like the satisfaction and feeling of accomplishment of being able to admire and live in something you built with your own hands, grit, and determination.

Blayne

JSanfilippo
03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
You also don't have to pay income tax on your sweat equity.... ;)

ChainsawGrandpa
03-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Very simple...the same reason I have built other homes
for myself. I'm cheap! cheap, cheap, cheap!! I can't
stand to pay someone good money for something that I
can probably do a whole lot better.

Of course, as I get older I find myself saying; "Why build
it myself when someone else is willing to do it for me?'
My tired body is starting to overrule my cheapness.

-Rick

Clint
03-18-2005, 09:01 AM
I want to live in the country where I can take a leak off of the roof if needed! So why not build me a little ledge on the roof to stand on?

I'm tired of slaving for a company. I don't want to put myself into debt because I will have to be a slave for that much longer.

The real question I wanna ask is why do most people get caught in a trap for most of there lives and never get off there asses and live thier dreams? We only live a for a short period of time.

somasoul
03-18-2005, 09:46 AM
Clint, I agree.

Building a house looks like some dern hard work. But a mortgage ties you to your job which ties you to your geographic area. Not having a mortgage not only frees up money but lessens your bills, allowing you to take that money and apply it however you see fit. I don't have a real carpayment ( I bought a used car for my wife for under $3,000 with no interest), I don't have any credit card debt, the car I drive was obtained for free, we homeschool.......essentially the life we live now could only be burdened by owning a home or incuring debt so the solution is to not incur debt and live more freely by eliminating our monthly rent payment. Then all we have to worry about is eating.

stubborndad
03-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Grow your own food. :wink: Oh yeah, what about the bogus act of collecting taxes! The less money(promisary note? lets do the research!) we owe to anyone, the better! It makes the big wheel of debt keep spinnin. :twisted: Steve L.

mulawski
03-22-2005, 08:37 PM
Splinters, Blisters and Sore muscles are minor discomforts I've lived with my entire adult life.
I feel its time I get these building my dream, Not my clients.
:roll:

lmoore
03-22-2005, 10:40 PM
I would like to build my own log home because i work for one of largest mortgage lenders in the world, need i say more :cry:

I've even had a mortgage at one time, of course this was before i became one of those people who decided who gets a loan and who doesn't.

Here's some good advise from someone with a lot of mortgage experience. Mortgage Loans are no longer based on collateral! They are based on your ability to pay. What this means is: we don't care if the stick built home falls apart, we only care if can you pay for it, when it hits ground. You think I'm kidding don't you....wish i was.

Lolo-Steve
04-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Why?

Empowerment: With no rent or mortgage I have that financial ???Load??? off my back. I can use that money for my new family (getting married in Nov), and for retirement.

Empowerment: I can stand back and tell anyone..hell make that EVERYONE that I built that house with my own two hands, no mortgage, its mine free and clear.

Empowerment: The inner feeling that, if something happens and I lose everything again, I can build another house without going into debt. Unlike the feeling I had 12 years ago when I was forced out of the house I had owned for 10 years because I lost my job and could not find another fast enough to stop the bank from taking my house from me.

Empowerment: The skills I will learn, the experience in building my home and the knowledge I will gain will allow me to build other houses. Those houses will allow me the chance for financial freedom.

Empowerment for my wife to be and our son: I will make sure that they both (and any other children we have) learn the same thing I am learning. Having old School skills such as building your own log home, combined with the mind set of living debt free can, not only make your life more fulfilling but you can live without fear of losing everything without a moments notice.

Andyk
04-11-2005, 06:24 PM
Empowerment...I like it!!! You hit it right on the head.

Andy

sailor1313
04-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I'm not a big fan of Ben-gay but blisters usually mean I've done something worthwhile.

Be nice to say I built that

karmrd
04-27-2005, 11:19 AM
My first post as a newbie:

Obviously, you guys are enjoying life much more than I. I would love to give up my 9 to 5 to a mortgage free back woods type of life style, but my question is this. Do you all have enough money stuck back to buy land, build your home, pay your taxes, feed your kids, have health care insurance and all of the other things that only money can provide? Or did you or do you build in a location that allows you to generate steady income? Where did you live while building? Those are the types of concerns that I have. If I had that stuff taken care I would then be able to concentrate on the acual construction.

Thanks,

karmrd

JeffandSara
04-27-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi, Karmrd--

There's quite a "continuum" of situations with members on this board-- among Skip grads and our other members.

For us, it's NOT a question of being debt-free, and not likely to be. We DID save OOOOODLES ... well, frankly, we could not have afforded to have this house at all (or anything like it) if we'd not done it ourselves. We were just talking the other day about how much we thought it would have been "turn-key", though such a situation would not exist here. Mind-blowing to think about it, even though we had to pay a lot for non-local logs, a lot for property, a lot for the equipment we needed to make up for a lack of manpower (and pretty big logs), etc.

And we DID have to stay tied to my husband's career for income/bennies/etc., could NOT move out to the complete backwoods, DO have kids to put through college, etc. Our family of four lived in a horrible rental for a year, then two years plus in our 25-foot motorhome during building, and we all worked HARD, so as to pay as little as possible to anyone else during the process.

Had we found out about Skip at a different time in our lives, we might be doing something different. But when we attended his class, we were midway through a good career with good retirement benefits. We DID think at one time about chucking all that... but it's just not our style at this point. We tried to make the best of both worlds, and we feel we have.

I did want to mention, though, that my understanding of the "debt-free" log home, had a lot to do with (unless you had REALLLLLY great resources, land, etc. to begin with), building and selling and building and selling again. And I thought it was the 4th house or something like that that REALISTICALLY would be debt-free. Perhaps I recall it wrong. Others will correct me, I'm sure. :D

There's no question, though, that even with a mortgage and still working full-time, we changed our quality of life EXPONENTIALLY. It might not be nirvanah, but we're NOT complaining AT ALL. :wink:

Oh, and welcome to the board. Good first post! :D

Sara

HITmanMikie
09-21-2005, 06:36 PM
I am paying $1,800/m for the priviledge of renting a house for my family of 4 (well, that's the at-home family) with my mother living with us.

I could have paid $2,500/m in mortgage for a 4-bed/3-bath, 30-year-old townhouse.

If I can pay $50K or even $100K for the land, and then build a 4,000 sq ft log home with splinters and blisters as special bonus prizes, as I see it the mortgage can still be significantly less than my rent is now.

While I'm at it, I may as well build a few more houses to sell and get mine paid for that way, while helping others to have an affordable home.

Any questions?

H2OFowlerandWife
09-24-2005, 07:23 AM
I've worked construction for 16 years now, mostly industrial at this point of my life but have built many houses on the side and still do. One thing that I have found is that people will hand over money without much attachment but if they have a part in the construction process, they have a feeling of accomplishment and selfworth. These people realize that there home ownership is more than shuffling paper for a product in return. They are also less apt to turn around and sell it as they are more content with the fruits of their labors and they also appreciate the effortts you put into helping them out.
All things aside. I'm gonna build my log home because
1) I can
2) I've always wanted to own one
3) There is no way I could afford to have one built for me
4) I can buid one better than I can hire it done.
5) If my mind changes during construction, I can make adjustments the way I want.
6) I can build as my schedule allows
7) I'm cheap
8) Probabely the most important....When it is done, I can stand back and say I did it myself

frederick
09-24-2005, 07:52 AM
I agree with H2Ofowlerandwife.

I renevated a house I once owned. Spent about $25,000 doing it.

But when I sold it I cleared $30,000 after taxes realator fees and

and the such. But I moved to a more expensive area of the country.

So it is like starting over. Next time I plan on building from ground up.

It is too expensive to buy homes that someone else built.

loghomefun
12-12-2005, 07:05 PM
I'm gonna build my log home because
1) I can
2) I've always wanted to own one
3) There is no way I could afford to have one built for me
4) I can buid one better than I can hire it done.
5) If my mind changes during construction, I can make adjustments the way I want.
6) I can build as my schedule allows
7) I'm cheap
8) Probabely the most important....When it is done, I can stand back and say I did it myself

What a list :!:

I agree with most of the reasons already stated by others on this thread, I want to do it for most of those same reasons.

For me it is about gaining economic freedom, about learning a useful skill, and about the pleasure of doing it myself.

Doug

Basil
12-13-2005, 05:32 AM
yea, and when friends come by they just look up at my ridgepole and shake their heads. They know they could never do it, and with their attitudes they are right.

My log home can be seen from the road, and a lot of people drive down our long driveway to get a closer look. It irritated me at first, because I always had tools laying around that could get stolen, but now I almost enjoy it. When I come back to the trailer I'm living in during construction, my wife asks me how many tourists I had today.

clarkin
02-14-2006, 10:25 PM
What a wonderful fullfilling journey!!!!!!!
If all is well, we'll have a $400K home for less than $70K!!!!
It'll be a wonderful place to live out my days.
What a tremendous sense of fullfillment, pride, accomplishment,,,,,,awe.

wood bug
02-15-2006, 07:11 AM
Hey Basil

There may be a money maker in that :lol: Charge a site seeing fee, the closer they get the more it cost, better yet put it for sale like real high, may get lucky.

BCarrierJones
02-21-2006, 07:38 AM
There are very few ways in which an individual can cease participating in the system of economic slavery that is required of anyone not born into money. Essentially, anyone who has to rent a house when leaving mom and dad also has to get a job that provides a symbol of the work conducted, i.e., the dollar bill. Such a symbol is now traded for shelter and food, both of which are human necessities, but neither of which can any longer be gotten simply by foraging the land, hunting for food, and constructing out of what is available there. The situation is daunting. I find it difficult to accept that the only way I can provide for myself and my family is to make money trading other people's money, or selling other people's ideas/things. A better solution is for me to work really hard inside the system so that I can buy land, and then get out of the system by using that land to produce the things that I need (with my own labor, of course)-food and shelter.

As for the "safety net" of insurance, well, having lived in New Orleans before and now after the hurricanes, I have seen fully just how little real security insurance provides . An insurance company adjuster's primary responsibility is to his own employer, the company - not to you - the insured. Of course it is an obvious conflict of interest. He is supposed to treat you fairly, even though he is being paid by the insurance company? Nobody here is really that naive. Whatever you are paying in insurance, put into a guaranteed high yield investment instrument and then, if you do need to rebuild your home, you will have more than enough money to do so.

As for college? Three degrees and $80,000 in student loans later, I'm certain my education is priceless to me, but it will be much better for my children to attend college without the loans, if I can manage such a thing. Skip's class teaches you how to gain financial freedom without sacrificing your dignity, and without participating in the system of selling and trading other people's things. You will have the ability to create your own item and sell it - a hand-crafted log home.

wood bug
02-21-2006, 12:00 PM
Well said

Vern Street
02-27-2006, 06:31 AM
Thought for the Day: "We come this way but once. We can either tiptoe through life and hope that we get to death without being too badly bruised or we can live a full, complete life achieving our goals and realizing our wildest dreams." Bob Proctor, Radio and TV personality, success trainer

Dowadudda
03-04-2006, 06:39 AM
I can't yet pretend to know what I am talking about. I will be attending the upcoming end of march class. However.

What I see in all your threads is this sort of ideal, tranquil way to living with out the need to really earn a huge living to afford a nice home ect.

It's so possible. How do I know? I became self employed about 5 years ago becoming a refrigeration contractor. I had worked for 10 years, made a good living but worked my but off, 70, 80 hour weeks were normal. Grocery Stores don't care about your time. I was younger having been taught the trade from my Father. So the advantage for me was being younger than most and gaining some excellent needed work experience. Also, by the time I quit, I was still young but man was I worn out. With out much other than some naiveness and being cocky enough and confident enough in myself, I ventured out on my own.

Much of the independance I see here is how I am. Screw you, I'll do it my effin way. I am the poster child for that. So I went on my own. I live debt free, and work about 35 hours a week. During moderate weather like spring and fall I may not even do that. I charge a huge rate, and I do select complex work. I don't have anything spectacular for my business, I keep it simple and stupid.

During this "discovery" I realized wow, I am doing this. I am sustaining myself. I am actually able to control what I am doing. It's liberating. But there are key factors. No debt. I don't have to take every job cause I don't have to pay off anything. I have bills, such as healyth insurance, business insurance and all associated cost to do biz. But that is easily taken care of in the fact that, Each new quality account I get, remains a customer who will call again when they need me.

Imagine. Union Pipefitter, working grocery stores, knocking down close to 100 a year with all the bennies killing myself, to now, an owner, doing for myself, making half as much, working about 1/4 as much, and living with everything I need and then some. I do work hard. I do have asome stress. But. A the end of the day. I see the reward of being home with my kids and wife, having hobbies, actually exercising cause I have time, which keeps the doctor bills away. I could go on and on.

So now onto building my own house. It's not how smart you are to seek and execute all these things to liberate yourself financially, and emotionally. It's just determination and hard work.

panderson03
11-13-2011, 05:32 AM
what a great thread!

LogSurfer2
11-15-2011, 12:22 PM
Indeed! And I had never seen it until you commented on it ;)

PS - We want to build because we have both always wanted a log home and we want the adventure and satisfaction of doing it ourselves, possibly stronger & better, for less money so we don't have to be slaves to the grind! Plus, I really hope it teaches our kids and the next generation that we ought to be responsible and work hard to take care of ourselves. And that doesn't always mean spending 8+ hours a day working for someone else! Living off the land is much less popular or attainable these days, but I'm willing to try really hard to make it happen for us!

John17three
11-15-2011, 03:05 PM
Financial independence. My wife would tell you because she wants a home of her own. I guess that's one and the same, but her motives are a bit aesthetic. I can live about anywhere and be content, and so can she, but I'm most concerned about NOT throwing away my money for rent. : -)

dazedandconfused
11-15-2011, 05:41 PM
I think I can thats why, and most are telling me I can't so what else should I do :)

loghousenut
11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
You guys revived a thread that's almost older than the internet Haha.

Wanna know why I'm building? It's so he'll know how to do it for his kid.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010220.jpg

Tom Featherstone
11-16-2011, 02:12 AM
Is a question I put to LHN not to long ago. All the reasons through this thread. Maybe a common underlying thought is we're trying to recapture something lost in our society. A log home represents a simplier life. Some are just tired of the concrete jungles and are looking for alittle space and peace in life. Start Now! Tune out the media overload, we can't do anything about it any way.

Thankfully we all landed here with a "Gift" that was passed on from Skip. There's a great bunch of people here that have restored "Hope" in human kind to me. People willing to help others without $ in their eyes.

Thanks to you All!
Tom

Lawnmower
11-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Financial freedom.

And, if I'm being completely honest, I'm probably trying to prove something to myself.

hemlock77
11-18-2011, 03:12 AM
For me it is about freedom, to fulfill a deep rooted need to follow my independent nature. To be honest, I have always gone out of my way to be different and quite frankly a bit of a showoff. The fact that I very much enjoy the the process of building this house,and the feeling of accomplishment that comes with it, that is just icing on the cake.
Stu
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u64/hemlock77/

rreidnauer
11-18-2011, 03:56 AM
First reason, my grandfather built his own home by himself with just hand tools, and lived there until his passing. He was just a simple man. Didn't have much education, but was the kindest and most unconfrontational person I've ever known. As a child, I was totally amazed at the skill he possessed to have built that home. I'm still impressed by that, and while I'll be using the conveniences of some machinery, I still love the fact that I'm following in his footsteps.

Second reason, I couldn't justify the risks of a 30 year mortgage for my single self. The potential for loosing was too high. (I came to this conclusion in the early 2000's, and got to see that fear come true when the crash finally came for so many later on) There had to be a safer method of securing my home. And that was where LHBA comes in.

Third reason, simple mindset. There are those who feel they simply deserve, or seek instant gratification. Then there are those who feel they should earn what they wish to have. I guess you can tell which category I'm in.

Fourth reason, because it's an adventure! What a piece of life to get to experience! Imagine years later, when you are living in that home, and you look at one thing or another, and you can reflect back to when it was still just a dream. That lasts a lifetime.

I guess what I'm saying is, I have many reasons TO build myself, and wonder more . . . . . . . . . why wouldn't you build your own home?

Timberwolf
11-18-2011, 05:56 AM
Quite simply, because someone told me I "couldn't do it".

rocklock
11-18-2011, 06:18 PM
I wanted to do something productive during my retirement. Wanted to leave each of my two boys a home.

Mosseyme
11-18-2011, 07:59 PM
Some of us just never got past the 2yo "I CAN DO IT MYSELF". Syndrone. Couple that with the way things that were hired done have turned out. It is easier to forgive myself "the amature" if I have to make it look like that was how I wanted it than it is to pay a "professional" to do it and still have to try to make it look like that is how I wanted it. Besides all that it is the only way you can let the ideas ebb and flow and develope as it talks to you and come out with a home that is truely from you. When you hire someone else to do it, just try to make changes as your ideas develope. It can be done to the tune of a lot of $$$. When you are doing it yourself and you decided you want to go up one more log before the girder you just go up one more log no big deal.
A lot of the reasons that other folks have given come to play in the desire to build our own home. Coming up on retirement age soon with a home mortgage with a few years left after retirement and much lower income requires some changes. We already had the land we wanted to retire on and were planning to build our own retirement cabin for a home base while we traveled as much as $$ would allow. We were planning to use some of our trees to cut and mill for a rustic sawmill siding type cabin. Then the Eastern Hemlock began to succumb to the wooley beetle and we had a massive kill happening on our place so began the process of logging the hemlock before they were totally dead. With hundreds of trees that would fall all over our property and maybe hurt someone we have no real choice but to take them down. Now what to do with hundreds of logs that have no real market value. We then began the process of planning and cutting for an oversized D type log and had quite a few cut to lengths for that when we came across the LHBA site. With the new info we had from this class we were totally sold on this type of build. We then began to take the rest of the logs down in long logs.
So as far as do it yourself home building, when all is said and done we plan not only to build it ourselves but havest and mill the other lumber ourselves. We hope to have no wood in the home except PT sill plates that didn't come fron the land. {Plus kitchen cabinets that we already bought due to price we couldn't let go}.
Other than Ronnie I don't know how you would get one of these if you wanted to and not build it yourself.
What can I say, we are a couple of old folks pretending we aren't and gluttons for punishment.

LogLover
11-20-2011, 04:15 PM
You also don't have to pay income tax on your sweat equity.... ;)

well - at least not until ya sell anyway.
then maybe ol' uncle will show ya what it really means to take it in the shorts...age, cost basis and then the current tax code will dictate of course.
So build cheap and life there until they carry you out is the way to really go to optimize it all. :)

173rd ABN
12-02-2011, 03:33 PM
We want to build our own Log home because:
We want to live and die debt free (once the school loans are paid off....no more loans ever) PS: that's the plan barring any unforseen circumstances :)
I want to design my house the way I like, and to efficiently perform the tasks or needs that we have.
I want my house to be stronger than modern homes are built. I feel they do not really protect the dwellers.
I want the sense of accomplishment and ownership.
I like the idea of creating my own wealth and being my own boss.
We just love log homes in general.
Mostly though. to prove to myself and everyone else that the idea that people have to go in debt to go to college, then get a 30 year mortgage, live in debt, under the constant threat of losing everything you worked for if the economy goes bad, spending their whole lives working and giving most of their hard earned money over to the government and financial institutions, is nothing more than the modern day version of SLAVERY. And no one HAS to participate if they have enough determination and spirit and love of Liberty.

panderson03
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
.....that the idea that people have to go in debt to go to college, then get a 30 year mortgage, live in debt, under the constant threat of losing everything you worked for if the economy goes bad, spending their whole lives working and giving most of their hard earned money over to the government and financial institutions, is nothing more than the modern day version of SLAVERY. And no one HAS to participate if they have enough determination and spirit and love of Liberty.

well said!

jasonfromutah
12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
As said, the constant threat of the bank taking what I own haunts me every day. I own a business, have a teaching job, and do OK. I have a "stick built" house on a now, 12 year mortgage. What if my business crashes? It would be near impossible to keep up with the payments and I would have to re-finance at 30 years.

I am paying as I go for my log home. I am in the 2nd year of my build and have 90-95% of my lumber purchased. Most of it is installed. I am getting closer and closer to being fisnished but still have another year.

I have 3 sons and a wife. When my oldest two are out of high school in 5 years, I'll probably sell my stick built house and move into my smaller cabin next door. Its 1500= square feet and all that I need. With the sale of my house, I will have the flexibility to do what I want. I will be 45-46 years old at the time and hopefully, I will be in a position to answer to NOBODY!!!

Independence from debt is by goal!!!!

edkemper
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
jason,

The older I get the more I fear how much we've lost our freedom. It seems everyone has their hand in our pockets and private business. The dream of living a life without everyone else controlling us is getting more and more important with each government sponsored crisis.

jasonfromutah
12-06-2011, 07:43 PM
Ed:

It is so true. Although I am a teacher, and enjoy what I do, I see first hand how we have the tendency to be controlled. Everyone is always biding for not only your time, but your childrens as well. Heck, me kids never have anytime for anything. School all week, and athletics on the weekend. I am not all against it, I just like to have a say in things at times. We have unfortunatley been taught to conform with societies way of thinking; 30 years of home mortgage debt and any and all other debt is OK.
Its not for me. I want to be in control of what I do. I want to be the taking care of myself and my family- not someone else. I am glad members on here think like this. Its truly a great site and organization!!!!

Shark
12-06-2011, 07:57 PM
well - at least not until ya sell anyway.
then maybe ol' uncle will show ya what it really means to take it in the shorts...age, cost basis and then the current tax code will dictate of course.
So build cheap and life there until they carry you out is the way to really go to optimize it all. :)

You don't have to pay capitol gain tax if you live in it for 2 years.....

Shark
12-06-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, & we built ours because we didn't want to be a slave to the bank for 30 years when we could build it ourselves.

People come up with great excuses why "it's good to have a mortgage"....lol....smile & wave...sure....whatever you like to believe.

rreidnauer
12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
People come up with great excuses why "it's good to have a mortgage"....lol....smile & wave...sure....whatever you like to believe.

Ah yes, I remember having that very argument with someone at work. They had somehow convinced themselves that it was profitable to have a mortgage, because you have a write-off in April. It took quite a bit of time to get through to them that only a small fraction of that interest money actually "comes back."

It's hard to change a persons mind when its something that is detrimental to their current thinking.

loghousenut
12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Good to have a mortgage... Heck it'd probably be good to have an elephant or two also. I just don't wanna feed it.

This is how I felt every month feeding our mortgage. Sure felt good making that last payment!

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/elephant_poop.jpg

dvb
12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
I have always wanted to build a log cabin! When I was 4 it all started with Lincoln Logs...........................................

JeffandSara
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Amen, Dean! :) Sara

greenthumb
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
I've always wanted to build a log home. Grandad built a local cabin while in the CCC in the 30's. Dad built a cabin when he was 18, still lives there, and never had a mortgage. He didn't have the money to buy a chainsaw, so all the logs were felled and notched with an axe. So, I guess the log cabin thing is in my blood.

I want to be completely debt free too, and the LHBA follows the same theme.

blane
12-09-2011, 07:59 AM
For us there are many reasons for doing this that we share with others here, but I will keep it short and give the #1 reason. It has given our family a vision for something better than city life as we learn to work along side one another.

merc66rkm
12-10-2011, 08:44 AM
My Grandfather "sold" me 20 wooded acres that he was born on, at a price I couldn't pass up. With abundant Fir and Larch on the property, how could I not build a log house/cabin? It will be something to pass down to my young son and his future kids. Also, I would love to have the satisfaction of having built a home with my own hands, empowering for sure! RAWR! lol

patrickandbianca
12-11-2011, 06:57 PM
You only live once. You may as well go for broke while you have the chance.
#1 reason is simply the satisfaction of building something yourself. I started with simple stuff, but now I make my own bamboo fly rods, my own longows, arrows, knap my own arrowheads from stone I find while fishing. Tie my own flies. We make our own baby food, some of our clothes, furniture etc. It really comes down to refusing to pay someone to do something that can be done by myself, within reason.
A log home just happened to be one of the things that I figured I could do good enough to not pay someone to do for me.

Patrick
Kleingloghome.shutterfly.com

wahowell11
06-10-2013, 09:32 AM
And how long have you been working in the construction industry? How long have you researched the log home industry, the dynamics and properties of different wood speices and the various affects that climate has on the wood you think you want to work with. The word Professionals lends more to the interpetation of said person and the associations that person has!

blane
06-10-2013, 10:26 AM
And possibly the loss of income for "said" professional

BenB
06-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I think the only reason I can see __for me__ is the satisfaction of building something with my hands.
I certainly could hire a build out and work more to pay it off in a couple years in the manner many do here or I could subscribe to a grandiose way of life and make it huge
and plush and worth a million but then it for sure means large mortgage.

LHBA I've learned by reading and watching is a fairly simple manner to do something by "making do" and adjusting. It can be any style home as limited not to a log home.
Lifestyle change some believe in and make - others maybe not so much so.
Scrimping-borrowing-doing cheap-necessities to no mortgage.

That said - I had no fear nor do I fret a small mortgage as I have said here many times if it means I get into my home sooner rather than later. Should have listened to myself.
---last Thursday I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I am at a loss right now what to do = clicking these keys as a way to get my mind off the reality of what lies ahead. No chemo or radiation for me. At best it might buy me a few months. very sick months at that
My personal mistake was to not do my dream a long time ago so that I could at least have enjoyed it. A small mortgage --- that would have been all it took.

I got a lot of things to get done here so not sure if I will be visiting this place again. My best of thoughts and hopes to each of you as you create your dreams. Peace

panderson03
06-10-2013, 03:56 PM
CR@P Ben. so sorry to hear about this next challenge you're facing.
this is no time to be thinking about 'would a or should a'. nows the time to focus on what you can do with the time you have left.
kiss your wife, hug your grandchildren, tell your kids all the things you were going to tell them but never got around to it.
use this time wisely, my friend. sometimes knowing your time is limited, really makes you appreciate the time you have.

prayers for peace and healing, for you and for those who love you.

peace

Mosseyme
06-10-2013, 04:13 PM
So much pain and sadness, So sorry to hear this Ben. Wish something could be said that is meaningful at a time like this. As a person in the med. profession I understand that kind of decision but don't rule out researching some alternatives that might give more time without the down side. You will be in our thoughts and prayers.

blane
06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
So sorry Ben. You are in my prayers.
I think the only reason I can see __for me__ is the satisfaction of building something with my hands.
I certainly could hire a build out and work more to pay it off in a couple years in the manner many do here or I could subscribe to a grandiose way of life and make it huge
and plush and worth a million but then it for sure means large mortgage.

LHBA I've learned by reading and watching is a fairly simple manner to do something by "making do" and adjusting. It can be any style home as limited not to a log home.
Lifestyle change some believe in and make - others maybe not so much so.
Scrimping-borrowing-doing cheap-necessities to no mortgage.

That said - I had no fear nor do I fret a small mortgage as I have said here many times if it means I get into my home sooner rather than later. Should have listened to myself.
---last Thursday I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer. I am at a loss right now what to do = clicking these keys as a way to get my mind off the reality of what lies ahead. No chemo or radiation for me. At best it might buy me a few months. very sick months at that
My personal mistake was to not do my dream a long time ago so that I could at least have enjoyed it. A small mortgage --- that would have been all it took.

I got a lot of things to get done here so not sure if I will be visiting this place again. My best of thoughts and hopes to each of you as you create your dreams. Peace

loghousenut
06-10-2013, 07:56 PM
Ben,
A life is not made up of all the things a person didn't do, but rather the things a person DID do.

I'm hoping yours has been as full a life as mine has been. Sorry for the pain and misery and missing years. Make the most of it.

If you end up on the road and pass through southern Oregon, stop in and take a meal with us.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Tom Featherstone
06-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Ben,

Peace Be within you. I hope that you venture this way and continue to share with us. The lessons you share are of importance that none of us have a guarantee for the next moment.... Thus why this is the only moment we should be concerned about and making the most out of it, applies to all.

Regrets are a stigma of the past, we can''t live there no more than in the future. Every moment we have is a gift, thus why it's called "present". We can choose to make the best, out of each one with no concern about what's next. God has told us to live this way, all of us repeatedly... It is one place that Peace is found.

Love every moment we have, should be a common goal. We have generally become to busy for such a lofty ideal and miss out on what the moment has to offer. Finding the Love in each moment is how it's done. The reality of this is, we are all human. We don't get it right all the time, striving towards it, is of more importance. Because where we fail, God has provided us with Forgiveness.

God is with you Ben. Peace Be within you my Log Brother.

Tom

p.s. Back on thread.. "Why?"

To find the "Peace" that We are All inherently drawn to, is what a Log Home represents. It's a pretty Strong Draw!!!

project
06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Ben all I can say is don't give up. I have a very close friend of mine was diagnosed with the late stages of lymphoma and was only given 6 months to a year at best. That was in 2001 and he is still going strong today. He is not cancer free but is just as active today as he was as a pro baseball player. I guess what I'm trying to say is never give up . I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say my prayers are with you!!

ivanshayka
06-16-2013, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear that Ben. I hope you enjoy time that you have with your loved ones. God Bless.

jrdavis
06-22-2013, 11:42 AM
BenB --

That is bad news. I feel for you. My mom was diagnozed with stage 4, colon, liver and lung in Oct. 2009.
I am happy to say that she is still with us, even after some serious bouts with chemo. (not my choice)
The Doctors scared her silly, so she wouldn't even think about any natural options.

I can attribute her staying here with us only to the Lord and HIS strength.
I pray that you will live your life to the fullest and see some members builds and live vicariously in them.
Blessings and well wishes.
James