PDA

View Full Version : U.S. closes logging area after 22 women arrested

GrafikFeat
03-15-2005, 06:06 PM
:shock: Yikes!

GRANTS PASS, Ore. ??? Twenty-two women were arrested yesterday trying to block loggers from cutting down dead trees burned in the 2002 Biscuit fire, and the U.S. Forest Service closed the area to the public to prevent further disturbances. (Contd.)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002207884_timber15m.html

GammaRae
03-16-2005, 06:56 AM
Why are 22 women trying to save dead things? I mean fine, you wanna be a wacko and save whales, more power to you, but dead trees? Seriously, that patchouli has some serious setbacks on one's ability to grasp reality.

Yeah, I said it - what?!

GrafikFeat
03-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Why are 22 women trying to save dead things? ... Yeah, I said it - what?!

Actually you asked "why?"

I think the problem is that more than beetle kill is falling to the chainsaw and that its in a "Old Growth forest reserve"...

From the article:

"We have seen so many egregious violations of the public trust surrounding this project and have every reason to believe that will continue," he said of the closure order. "The citizens have every need and right to be actively monitoring this project."
A hearing is scheduled for next Tuesday in U.S. District Court in Medford on the merits of a lawsuit challenging the Forest Service decision to log inside an old-growth forest reserve burned by the Biscuit fire, the biggest in the nation in 2002 at 500,000 acres.

JeffandSara
03-16-2005, 08:25 AM
The other reason cited in the article for the broo-ha-ha was concern about logging hurting the salmon streams and reducing the "natural" amount of blow-down providing rotting material for the habitat.

Sara

GammaRae
03-16-2005, 10:12 AM
Okay, let me ask it a different way:

What GOOD reason would 22 women be trying to save DEAD (D-E-A-D) trees?

GrafikFeat
03-16-2005, 10:17 AM
They aren't there for the dead trees... They are there for the reasons listed above in the other posts... Plus what it said in the article. - Jim

GammaRae
03-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Uh huh - so then this part is just "window dressing":

GRANTS PASS, Ore. ??? Twenty-two women were arrested yesterday trying to block loggers from cutting down dead trees burned in the 2002 Biscuit fire, and the U.S. Forest Service closed the area to the public to prevent further disturbances. (Contd.)

Reb
03-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Okay, let me ask it a different way:

What GOOD reason would 22 women be trying to save DEAD (D-E-A-D) trees?

Dead and fallen trees still provide valuable contributions to the ecosystem. Their removal does not come without recourse, and their removal is often NOT beneficial to old forests.

GrafikFeat
03-16-2005, 02:33 PM
Uh huh - so then this part is just "window dressing":

No. It was the 1st paragraph of the article. :wink:

Loghomeguy
02-17-2008, 09:31 AM
Michael Simmons;

Really, the 22 should just be allowed to stand around in the fall-zone.

I subscribe to the Darwinian theory that if they get killed then they cannot procreate and curse the earth with more people possessing negative I-Q's !!!

A newly planted reforestation will grow much faster with all that dead s^^t out of the way creating more O-2 which they obviously lack.

I could understand being upset about the live Giant Sequoias.

But standing-dead trees, especially when the fire has "crowned", make excellent houselogs.

The protesters were probably holding signs made of PAPER and they probably would be cranky without toilet PAPER and they probably filed lawsuits against the logging on PAPER.

Ironic.

Lonewolf
02-17-2008, 11:35 AM
One or two good greasy smears in the road would have made those eco terrorists think twice about getting in the way again. No sympathy for them whatsoever. Down here the eco commies sneak onto property and drive nails and spikes into the trees so that chainsaws will kick back at the operator. Up that way somebody should be able to find a bunch of skinheads that will run in and beat em with baseball bats. snicker snicker. I bet they would never protest again after that LMAO. I know that a lot of people will find my ideas just a tad extreme, but at this stage of my life I'm just fed up with wackos and not up for letting them slow me down or get in my way. If they want to look for a "Cause", let it be to not be a hairy mole on the hind end of society :)
Marcus Ward

huffjohndeb
02-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm going to thin some of my forest land for several reasons.

1 I own the trees and the land they live on.
2 The trees I'm going to cut will block my view of a reservoir that will be completed in 2014.
3 I just lost my job, I need the money to keep my family safe and warm.
4 The forest will be able to regenerate with desired species.
5 I'm going to clear cut the trees that will be flooded by the reservoir.
6 I am not about to clear cut the land that will not be underwater.
7 If it's a pine tree it's history
8 If it a native hardwood it not only stays but I'll hug it so it doesn't get cut down.

There is a big difference between raping the land i.e. clear cutting and forest stewardship improving the forest and allowing for new growth.

The equipment that will be used is like the link below, tree hugging is encouraged the result will be good nutrients for the new growth.
Tree/protestor eating machine link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89L8ZEC14Ec&feature=related

cowfire
02-20-2008, 07:04 PM
When these trees are cut, the land will be seeded for erosion, replanted, yada, yada,
Maybe we shoiuld listen to the tree huggers and never touch a tree again,
We'll just get our trees from China (Lead-free)