PDA

View Full Version : Any Homework before taking the class?

mcdonis
03-09-2005, 05:15 AM
As a complete stranger to any and all tools more advanced than a hammer, I was wondering if people would suggest any type of work or research I can do to help understand the content of the class better. Since I am not experienced in any type of construction (my line of work has been finance and Investments) I thought their might be terms used that I may not understand.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

JeffandSara
03-09-2005, 05:56 AM
Most of the stuff is pretty common sense. And it sounds like now with the "materials" included with the class that we never got in the "old days" :wink: you should end up with complete "notes", so anything that ISN"T clear to you initially, you can easily ask about later, and it won't have affected your ability to take effective and complete notes.

I had very limited experience with tools and construction when I went, and although Jeff had gone once alone before we went together (so I pretty well knew the drill by the time I actually got to go), I felt like the way things were presented to us was pretty complete and straight-forward.

Questions were also answered on the spot (there were a couple of loo-loo questions in our class, too, and Skip didn't laugh them out of the house or anything! :lol: ), and we found that if you don't bolt right out the door when class is over, there was an opportunity to discuss the techniques with the instructors and with other students who maybe have more or different experience. Besides, you have this forum, which can help a lot too.

You might go to the library or on-line and look at some basic construction terms about things like girders and joists and purlins and stuff. But really, my advice would be, go ready to listen, don't spend too much time in the kitchen chatting during class hours, and just be open-minded and ready for a very very very cool weekend!!! :D

Sara

mbolin
03-09-2005, 08:03 AM
I agree with Sara, and would add that it wouldn't hurt to pick up a book that covers some basic carpentry techniques and tools. It's not absolutely necessary but if you can spend your time at the class asking questions about building log homes and not about how a reciprocating saw works it will be time well spent.

hawkiye
03-09-2005, 05:27 PM
Some of the links listed on the LHBA main site for log homes being built are good places to get familiar with the terms etc. Just remember the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

You are in for a real treat. When are you scheduled to go to the class?

Blayne

mcdonis
03-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Orginially I was going to just go myself since the cost of flying, hotel, rent a car, food, and school was going to cost me somthing like 1400.00 a person. (I live in Ohio) But after speaking to my wife she wants to go as well. So that makes this a 26-28 hundred dollar trip. So it will have to wait till sometime either in summer or fall (as long as they have a seminar). Plus that gives me a little more time to brush up on things so that I can understand more.

pdthct
03-10-2005, 05:44 AM
A clean slate is not necessarily a bad thing. You will not be saddled with any preconceived notions. A lot of what's out there on log home building is drivel.[/quote]

mcdonis
03-10-2005, 06:55 AM
It seems that a lot of those involved with log homes defetaly have the mindset of "my way or the highway". This is just about the only place I have found that discussion of different styles is possible.

Fred
03-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Reading about heavy timber construction probably wouldn't hurt, logbuilding is analogous in many of the technical terms, mindset, and tools.

In both cases, it's all about building from big long hunks of wood, the differences are substantial, but it's a lot closer to that than to 2 by X wood contruction.

I can also *strongly* recommend Hermann Phelp's
"The Craft of Logbuilding" (available in english at LeeValley.com) you'll get a really lovely historical overview of european logbuilding traditions back when they were still a live folk culture tradition. Lots of great sketches, technical drawings and rare pictures from pre WWII.

Some of the other Lee Valley books carries on logbuilding I wouldn;t recommend after having taken the class, but I liked looking through this one " From Log to Log House" even though once you've taken the class you might disagree with the author.

I have a english book on Russian logbuilding too, which is pretty cool, I think the author is "Ogolkonikov" or something, little about contruction details in it, but lots of great pictures and historical info about the stunning & huge Russian log fortresses, breathtaking churches, and all in one enourmous house-barns as well as various log huts and what not.

Fred