PDA

View Full Version : Out door wood buring furnaces?

Shields
03-05-2005, 04:26 PM
Hello all
I am in the planning stages of my log home dream (and yes I will be siging up for the next class). I am tossing around the idea of getting an out door wood burning furnace. With gas prices soaring I'm trying to elminate or at least lower my monthly heating bills. I found these units some time ago and the theory seams to make since. basically you have an outdoor fire chamber with a water bladder around the chamber cold water is pumped in, hot out to a heat exchanger were it is blown into the home. Perfect huh the only catch is they can get to be quite pricey, (upwards of about 10k) and it would be alot of work to keep the fire going. Just wondering if any one has one or has any input on theses units.
Thanks
Matt

GrafikFeat
03-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Hello all
I am in the planning stages of my log home dream (and yes I will be siging up for the next class). I am tossing around the idea of getting an out door wood burning furnace ... Just wondering if any one has one or has any input on theses units.
Thanks
Matt
Hey Matt,
There is a thread on this already that maybe you can "glean" from.
Check it out here:

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12

Jim

Ooops... Pardon my manners... Welcome to the Club House! :wink:

Shields
03-06-2005, 05:40 AM
You know I have spent hours looking through this sight and thought I saw everything some how that one sliped past me....thanks
Matt

GrafikFeat
03-06-2005, 07:17 AM
You know I have spent hours looking through this sight and thought I saw everything some how that one sliped past me....thanks
Matt
With me as soon as I ask I find it or the answer... I know the feeling.

gregorama
03-25-2005, 10:08 AM
I was at the Seattle Home Show last month, and ran across the Turbo Burn (http://www.eskimo.com/~turbobrn/residential.shtml) unit that burns anything flammable, including transmission fluid and gasoline, wood, coal, electric, building inspectors, whatever. The wood fire would be started once or twice daily, burn super hot for a couple hours, then the water jacket would hold the heat for the rest of the day, distributed through heat exchanger coils. The unit is about 7 high by 10x6 for the smallest one. Yes, it's expensive, but it looked well built. It's an interesting option I've not really researched.. The concept seems sound.

Greg

ChainsawGrandpa
03-26-2005, 04:20 PM
Don't burn building inspectors, they'll clog the chimney!
Better to just put them in the dumpster. :wink:
As Dilbert's pointy haired boss said, "They're much too big
to flush. :D
-Rick

tnhillbilly
03-27-2005, 10:31 AM
Hello

My name is denny Maddux and I installed a wood master stove for my parents and they like theirs a lot. It burns wood and you usually have to add wood in the morning and the evening but you will probably never run out of hot water, even if you washed your car with it. I think theirs was in the 6k neighborhood. the one they have also heats their house in addition to their heat pump which never runs now unless the fire is out. Hope this helps!!!

Denny

farmercolby
04-08-2005, 08:02 AM
We have had an outdoor woodfurnace for about 5 years now and we love it. Its a Heatmor. We plan on putting one on our log home. :P if you need more information we could send you a brochure.