PDA

View Full Version : Considering taking class in April

cobiyero
03-01-2005, 11:25 AM
I am considering taking the class in April, I am currently a carpenter and have built several timber frame/stick frame hybid construction homes from scratch. Looking for peoples opinion of the class with similar backgrounds also wonder if I would be happier with the class offered in the Phillipeans, has anyone taken class from both Skip and his son. Different teaching styles? Would assume very similar class content? Any oppinions would be appreciated.
Everthing posted on his website really makes sense to me...

I built my current home, did all the work myself but still am tied to a 30 year note...but have about 100 k in equity... really like the idea of selling it off and owning a large piece of ground (20 acre +) with a log cabin and own it free and clear...stuff dreams are made of... is it really possible???

clairenj
03-01-2005, 02:16 PM
We had a very large class, and these guys did an excellent job. There are quite alot of interruptions when you have a group of that size( I think we had more than 40 attend) and everyone received attention. My favorite response to some of the suggestions " sure, you can do that but we don't recommend it.."
So many builders I know and have worked with try to make this log building process more complicated than it needs to be. After I have lain awake worrying about what all these others have said or criticised, I go back to my notes from the class and then to the forum and I gain back the certainty that this is the way to go! Things like chinking or log lifting seem to be what gets them going around here! It is pretty funny. One guy said to me that I reallly need to get all that nasty cambium layer off because nothing will penetrate it! not stain or insect repellent or anything.........go figure

good luck and remember that what goes on at the left coast isn't the same as that which goes on at the right coast

Steve
03-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Hi Cobiyero, welcome to the forums!

Just for the record, Skip doesn't offer classes in the Philippines anymore. We need to update those pages on our site. For now the only classes are at the ranch near Seattle. Skip still enjoys visitors though, so if you happen to be in Southeast Asia be sure and look him up. ;)

You might want to take a look at this thread (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18) to see what some others have said about the class.

To answer your other question, the class content is roughly identical to what Skip taught for years and years. Since he retired we've added a few things (for example, we now give out a huge class workbook with tons of reference material, all of the class diagrams, etc) and we've updated a few things (to stay current with building codes) but we haven't taken anything out.

Steve

hawkiye
03-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I grew up in the construction trades and was a masonry contractor for many years, but did a little of everything as most in the trades get a chance to do. As you said everything made sense and was sound. I have always been a do it yourself type guy (it runs in the familiy) and the class was like coming home!

Its some of the best money I have ever spent where I really felt I got an excellent return on investment.You won't regret it. How could you go wrong with a double your money back guaruntee? And with your background you probably have most of the tools you need already.

Blayne

GammaRae
03-01-2005, 08:24 PM
I'm a ne'er-done-it-myself when it came to a project of this magnitude, but after the class I couldn't imagine doing it any other way.

We just stumbled into a very large portion of cash (okay, stumbled isn't the correct word, but we were given the go ahead to sell off a piece of property with high equity) that would allow us to BUY a VERY comfortable first home and still have enough money to live on for a year... Instead, because of taking the class I wouldn't even think about doing anything but building a log home from scratch - buying is a waste of money and a loss of satisfaction from the accomplishment. No, we're going to buy land, build for ourselves and have PLENTY to buy another piece and build TO SELL!

TAKE THE CLASS, ALREADY!

ChainsawGrandpa
03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Hi Cobiyero,

I took the class from Skip, and sat in on part of a class a few
weeks ago. Both were excellent. Like you, I entered into
this with a background in construction. The good news is that
I have experience and my eyes were wide open. The bad news
is that people with our background have preconceptions. This
causes people like us to re-invent the wheel. We've done it all
before, know how it "should" be done, put our head down, and
charge into it the wrong way. Just listen, take notes, and ask
questions after the day is over. Chances are most of your
questions will be answered in class. As I mentioned before, the
very biggest mistake is to reinvent the wheel. Follow every
suggestion, and build exactly as taught. The dollars and headaches
will be kept to a minimum if you listen, take notes, and then build
as taught.

Best to take the class, and pretent you know nothing about the
construction industry. We are geared to be fast, effecient, follow
the pattern, and spend the money. This is different. I'm just
starting my project now. I've built a number of homes in the past
but a home from real logs is very different. Mostly in the attitude.
It is fun, relaxing, and I can keep up a nice construction pace and
still build for cash.
One note about cost...
One member can build a house for $25,000 and the next member
will build the same house for $200,000. Attitude, location, and
connections are very important. Personally, I just refuse to spend
money if I really don't need to and a life time of that attitude has
caused me to have most everything I own at a decent to very nice
discount. Guitars, racing bicycles, jewelry, homes, vehicles, my
stash of nice wood.... I just allow that attitude to guide my spending.
It's a good mindset when building a house from logs, and that mind-
set appears to be reinforced in the class.

-Rick

CRASH
03-08-2005, 03:03 PM
I think that the others who have posted here have definitely given good input. I do not have a construction background, but I wholeheartedly agree with the 'keep and open mind' philosophy about what the class teaches. I was not dissappointed with the class, and now that I have started on a scale model of my future home, the class notes are really starting to come alive, and make more sense to me.
I would think that with a construction background, you might be able to embrace the methods of construction taught, and have an easier time turning this into a money making venture.