PDA

View Full Version : stirling engine for electrical power

hemlock77
03-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Is there anyone familure with the stirling engine. Would it be feasable to use to produce electricity, utilizing waste heat going up chimney? Rod, any thoughts? For me this would be an on grid suplimental. Just an idea we have been kicking around.
Stu

rreidnauer
03-09-2008, 06:37 AM
While there are a few commercially available Stirling powered devices on the market, it's still something that's not practical for you or I. To buy/build anything powerful enough to be useful, it's far too costly to get any return. Guys over on Otherpower have been trying for years to build viable Stirlings, but mostly all that comes of it are curios.

But, if you wanted to do a little experimenting and try a build, I'd recommend the 90 degree design, known as an Alpha Stirling. It's about as simple as it gets.

RodneyG
03-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I called a guy last week who may start selling a 5 HP stirling which could turn a generator. Some people in Japan are looking for backing in order to go into production. He thinks it will cost about $9,000. But more interesting to me is to make gas vapor from wood. The vapor is used to run any engine you want. Go to You Tube and look up "The making of a woodgas generator".
F.E.M.A. has a simple downdraft version in case we have a REAL oil shortage so people can run vehicles without gasoline.