PDA

View Full Version : "Power Suit" of the Future

Longhare
02-14-2008, 05:16 PM
Okay, so it's not exactly viable yet, but it sounds like a fun idea. From the journal Nature:

..."Mobile phone battery running out mid-conversation? One day you might be able to make a few vigorous arm movements while wearing a nanowire electricity-generating shirt to keep the battery going. This is power-dressing in the real sense: nothing to do with shoulder pads or 1980s office dramas..." (more of "Fabric May Be the First Real Power Suit." (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004181438_powerclothes14.html))

And for those of us planning on building in the cloud forest near the Olympic National Forest, from a related article in the Seattle Times:..."French scientists have proposed capturing energy from raindrops hitting a structure with piezoelectric properties." Finally, a trade off for those of us with NO hope of ever generating solar power! (more of "Power Generating Clothes? Keep Your Shirt On") (http://www.nature.com/news/2008/080213/full/news.2008.572.html)

Now, if I could just harness the static in my hair this time of year...

Louanne
"Longhare"

Klapton
02-15-2008, 07:19 AM
So, has anyone invented a methane-fart-catcher yet?

*Hmmm... I'm going to be RICH!!1!!

Longhare
02-15-2008, 09:08 AM
My ex used to practically fantasize about a methane powered vehicle. I mean, you've got the seat right there, not far from the "gas tank." And with three bowls of raisin bran in the morning, he'd be all powered up for the commute. Hmm, not sure it would really reduce the local air pollution, though. Whew, if you'ver ever been in an enclosed space a few hours after breakfast...

Every time I hear about the dairy industry getting grants to develop methane power generators, I chuckle. They ain't got nothin' on raisin bran.

Louanne

shawnis
02-25-2008, 05:08 PM
>So, has anyone invented a methane-fart-catcher yet?

You mean this?

http://www.patentlysilly.com/patent.php?patID=6982161

Someone beat you to it. :-)

2 cents
02-26-2008, 07:01 AM
LOL-- No Way!! That is great.

2 cents
02-28-2008, 10:16 AM
now we're cookin' ...with gas!

http://money.cnn.com/2008/02/26/news/international/kahn_biogas.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008022704

Timberwolf
02-28-2008, 10:27 AM
On a continent like North America, with so many people interested in RE, can something like this not be commerically viable/available? Heck I'd buy one just to have free gas for the BBQ, let alone my own powerplant for electricity. No end to energy will all the cow farmers around my neck of the woods.

That thing kicks gas!

Longhare
02-28-2008, 11:04 AM
Because something this simple and effective, not to mention environmentally healing, has the potential to ruin local municipalities. How? By making their utility companies obsolete and broke. Not to mention that local health departments are some of the worst germaphobes there are. Ever look into building your own composting toilet? Go to your state's web site and search for guidelines. You'd be amazed what they require unless, of course, you happen to buy a highly regulated and certified manufactured unit costing a couple thousand dollars.

Louanne

Timberwolf
02-28-2008, 11:17 AM
A huge manufacturer, with tons of money and clout would have to lobby (or make a lot of backroom deals) to be able to produce such an animal here, or the power companies would have get on board, or as you say go broke.

Reminds me of a documentary clip I saw, about an inventor who was working to get small (read backyard) commercial powerplants to developing countries made available. (He had a prototype unit at his house, about the size of a normal furnace tied A/C unit...maybe 1 cubic yd in size). It was basically a Sterling engine mated to a generator to produce electricity. Could power a household on a shovel full of dried cow dung a day.

Try to get a stirling engine on this continent. HAH! If I could I would, then flip the finger at the power companies. I may still get there, it just takes looooots of money or lots of dicipline.