PDA

View Full Version : Modeler's Corner

Andythompson
02-07-2005, 05:19 PM
I'd like to hear from people who have or are ready too build a scale model of their new home.

Other than wooden dowels for the logs, what other materials did you use?
What did you use to represent the pier blocks (if applicable)?
What did you use for the dimensional lumber?

How did you fasten it together? Did you use hot glue or did you accually pin it together is the same fashion you would spike the logs?

I'm just interested in what other people have done or plan to do. During the class Steve and Mr. E stressed that they felt it was a good idea to build a model for several reasons.

Looking forward to your replies,

Andy
11/04 Alumni

JeffandSara
02-07-2005, 08:10 PM
Hi, Andy--

We used finish nails to "spike" our dowel "logs" as they would really be spiked.

Jeff cut wood blocks into the shape of the piers, as I recall. And we used strips of thin plywood for the 4 x 10 joists and rafters.

We did not frame the gables or do roofing or cut doors and windows in ours. By the time we were firming up the floor plan and fenestration details for this actual site, I was doing the elevation sketches for the plans, so it was just as easy to envision those details on paper, as cut them on the model.

But we did learn quite a bit by doing the log parts and the basic floors (three) and roof structure. We do agree with Skip, Steve and Ellsworth as to the worth of taking the time to do the scale model.

We also helped ourselves visualize the way the "center-to-center" spiking method reduces settling by stacking some carrot "logs" and spiking them with toothpicks. It probably sounds silly.... but the angles set up by going from center to center are so important, as opposed to the kit-built technique of drilling straight down layer upon layer.

Sara

ChainsawGrandpa
02-10-2005, 08:49 AM
I'm finishing a model based on the stock plans. I made my own
dowels from #3 1 x 4 pine. I made a doweling jig and the max.
deviation is about .002 on the turning. The offall (scrap strips)
were the board & batten, roofing, rafters, joists, etc. By making
a jig a model can be made for pennies on the dollar. The pier
blocks were cut and sanded from scrap wood. I found it easier
to use a caliper to measure the small sizes accurately. I can e-mail
photos of the model if you like. The roof and second floor are
removable to see the interior.

As for whether or not it is really necessary to build a model...
well, no. No you don't have to build a model. However, if you
want to save hundreds of hours and maybe thousdands of
dollars then it might be a very good idea. With the model you
are building your home, then just giong out and duplicating it
in full scale.

I am working on a DVD of how to build the doweling jig and
then using the jig to make the dowels. Almost finished but
this PC just won't let me input the video from the camcorder.
The stills and text are finished though. Just bought a Mac a
few days ago. Once I get the files into it the DVD should be
coming soon.
-Rick Buchanan

ChainsawGrandpa
02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Should have mentioned...

I used superglue (not the grocery store kind!), a catalyst,
and yellow glue.
-Rick Buchanan

tgardner
02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
I used an air finish nailer to 'spike' the butt and pass dowels. This allowed me precise and instant spike placement without jolting the model.

For the piers, I built forms from playing cards and poured plaster of paris. The results closely mimicked the real deal, and I learned quite a bit about placement and fit of columns, girders, flooring and roof decking.

Between my local hobby shop and WalMart, I was able to buy dimension balsa to very closely match the ratio of 4 x 10's and 2 x 6's with respect to the 1/2" dowels. A rewarding experience.

CRASH
02-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will be working on gathering the basic supplies to start my model this weekend. I am looking forward to 'playing' with the model.

Ellsworth
03-12-2005, 06:12 PM
Here are a few pics of Rick's model, he really did an excellent job!

He added a few nice touches, the king truss, the decks, and of course a little 'scale man' who is 5' 10" :)

The floors are made from actual old growth, and as previously mentioned he milled his own dowels. The model comes apart (roof comes off and 2nd floor comes off) so you can really all the insides. I can't wait till Rick starts his real log home, I'm sure it's going to be absolutly awesome!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/loghomes/post3.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/loghomes/post2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y39/loghomes/post.jpg

JSanfilippo
03-13-2005, 05:14 AM
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

That is sweet... I am patiently awaiting this video... put me on the list...

vstrommer
12-09-2006, 07:21 AM
I just looked at rreidnauer's dowel model pictures. They flat out rock! That is an amazing job. For those who have not seen them, rreidnauer puts a link to his pics at the end of his posts. Hopefully he will chime in here so others can check it out.

I think it would be great for all those who have pics of their dowel models to post them in this thread. I know I'd like to check them out and it would be inspirational for others to see the designs and methods people are using.

kyle
12-09-2006, 08:19 AM
vstrommer,

We were just discussing Rod's model the other day in the member's section. There are several posts regarding models in the members section that you'll be able to view once you've taken the class.

vstrommer
12-09-2006, 08:42 AM
Cool. I can't wait to be admitted into the inner circle of priviledge. I keep forgetting that the real good stuff is not being made available to the vulgar, unwashed masses. :wink:

Ah, soon I will be counted among the enlightened few! 8)

jawasan
12-16-2006, 07:06 AM
I just looked at rreidnauer's dowel model pictures. They flat out rock! That is an amazing job. For those who have not seen them, rreidnauer puts a link to his pics at the end of his posts.

Man you're not kidding!! In fact that model looks more intimidating than a full size log home. lol

There should be a "model log home of the month" award eh? If you squint your eyes just a tad the interior shots look like a actual full scale home. Amazing job on both Rod's model and the one linked in this post.
Febuary seems so darn far away!!

Leo

Klapton
08-29-2007, 02:04 PM
If I was planning on using 41' logs to build a 35x35 cabin, what length would my dowels be for a scale model? (i.e. what is my scale as far as LENGTH goes?)

1) I know it's recommended to take the course before trying to build a scale model.
2) I'd like to do it for fun, so I don't care if I have to do another one after taking the class.
3) You never know, I might be some kind of freak genius natural who makes an amazing one anyway
4) Even if I'm not, I'll still have fun trying.

GammaRae
08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
1/2" = 1-foot.

Klapton
08-29-2007, 02:16 PM
Sweet, thanks!