PDA

View Full Version : How to add an avatar (little picture) to your posts.

Reb
02-03-2005, 11:23 AM
So, you're noticing that other people have little pictures in their profiles and on their posts, and you're wondering how you can get one of these for yourself. This tutorial will show you how to add an avatar to your profile, and suggest some resources for finding free pictures, if you don't have any images of your own.

First, find a picture that you like. The preferred file format is .gif but a .jpg file will be fine, as long as the image is under 9 kb and is no bigger than 100x100 pixels.

Next, click the Profile link at the top of the forum window.
Scroll to the bottom of the screen, and click the Browse button to the right of the Upload Avatar from your machine field.
Locate the file saved on your computer, select it, and click Open.
Click Submit at the bottom of the screen.

If you don't have an image saved on your computer, here are some resources for avatars:

http://www.avatarity.com
http://www.hotavatars.com/

To save an avatar to your computer, right-click the image and select Save Picture As....
Place the file in a folder where you will be able to locate it again, and follow the instructions above for uploading your image to the server.

flcowgirl
03-12-2005, 06:52 PM
Hey Reb, since you're the expert, tell me the best way to convert regular size photos to meet the restrictions to submit them as avatars. I can't figure out how to take a perfect regular size photo on my computer and sqeeze it down without loosing it's quality. It's all blurry when I shrink it down and every one else's photos look fine and clear. :? Thanks

Reb
03-16-2005, 12:02 PM
Hey Reb, since you're the expert, tell me the best way to convert regular size photos to meet the restrictions to submit them as avatars. I can't figure out how to take a perfect regular size photo on my computer and sqeeze it down without loosing it's quality. It's all blurry when I shrink it down and every one else's photos look fine and clear. :? Thanks

It has to do with how you compress or shrink the file... if you email the file to me, I can shrink it for you with a good graphics program?

email me through my profile and we'll work it out...

flcowgirl
03-16-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks, but GrafikFeat already did it for me. Thanks Though! :D

GrafikFeat
03-17-2005, 07:36 AM
If you need an "Avatar" email me your image and I'll make one for you as well...

Jim

WNaegele
01-09-2006, 05:18 PM
I used microsoft photo editor to reduce size and even changed file types to all 3 and I keep getting the same message that it is not the correct file type. Any ideas? :?

rreidnauer
01-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Perhaps changing to lower case for your file extension, if it is in caps. I've seen this to be an issue for other things.

Also, I've experienced problems adding an avatar via direct upload from my computer. You must upload your picture elsewhere onto the net. (like www.photobucket.com ) Then set your avatar from the location you uploaded to.

WNaegele
01-09-2006, 11:06 PM
thank you,

i bet it might have something to do with proxies and firewalls. I will try from another internet source. thanx

WNaegele
01-10-2006, 03:14 PM
well, i ended up uploading to photobucket, it was free and easy and worked like a charm, just like you said! Thanks. Will probable pay the $25 yearly fee to get the more space. Thanks again. :D

JeffandSara
01-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Hey, Wesley, you got it to work. :D Nice to 'meet' you.

BTW... Rod, I couldn't get a photo to upload from our computer, either, but I guess I didn't ever care enough to do it from elsewhere.

Sara :D

rreidnauer
01-10-2006, 04:25 PM
But we all been waiting for so long for your avatar Sara. :cry:

:wink:

JeffandSara
01-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe subliminally I thought ours could never stand up against your funny ferret photos and cool oldtime cowboy pic? :lol:

JeffandSara
01-10-2006, 04:40 PM
Oooops....

subCONSCIOUSLY, not subliminally. :oops: :oops: :oops:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve
01-10-2006, 08:28 PM
Yep, the "upload from your computer" option has been broken for a while, sorry about that folks.

Anyone who wants to add a forum pic can e-mail it to webmaster@loghomebuilders.org and we'll get it attached to your forum account. Just make sure to include your forum username with the e-mail.

-Steve

rreidnauer
01-11-2006, 08:59 AM
Maybe subliminally I thought ours could never stand up against your funny ferret photos and cool oldtime cowboy pic? :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/titantornado/cowboy.gif

dbtoo
01-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the hint! I'm signed up for the class for 2/06. Looking forward to it!