PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Log Construction

Hillbilly
02-02-2005, 07:06 AM
Howdy,

The following article is about how Dorothy Ainsworth built her vertical log home. It has some really cool pictures.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/ainsworth86.html

Happy reading :)

hawkiye
02-02-2005, 10:41 PM
Wow what a story! That is amazing especially the house burning down and her rebuilding it.

Just goes to show what one can do with lots of determination and elbow grease.

Blayne

mbolin
02-03-2005, 07:55 AM
Yes, very good article. I've never read anything on vertical log construction before. One attraction for me would be the ability to haul your own logs from the woods. 10' vs. 50' logs.

GrafikFeat
02-19-2005, 10:01 PM
One 30' wall is 360"

How thick would a 10' log be at center? 12"? 15"?

So now one wall has 24 logs? 1st floor has 100 Logs?

Yikes! Put points on em and you'll have a fort!
:?

Hillbilly
02-20-2005, 10:59 AM
:idea: Hey, I think it would be really cool to have a fort with a butt & pass log home. 8)
There wouldn't be another one like it anywhere.
I'd love it!

:arrow: Fort Clatsop.
Lewis & Clark Expedition
Astoria, Oregon
http://www.wildnatureimages.com/Lewis%20&%20Clark.htm

somasoul
03-16-2005, 01:39 PM
What a gorgeus home!

I especially liked this part of the article:

"If this rough-hewn man in Levis and flannel shirt wasn???t the marryin??? man, he was certainly the carryin??? man."

That made me laugh. This chick can build homes, support a family on $12,000 a year and make her own clothes. What more could an anarchist wish for?!?!?!

eddienpk
04-13-2009, 09:51 AM
My point exactly. Can't knock what the big bad wolf can't blow down. I love all kinds of log homes. Butt and pass, vertical, traditional, and the list goes on. No one method seals the deal in this industry. I absolutely adore the student built homes on this forum. Every one is unique.

Shark and Bake Queen
07-01-2009, 05:05 AM
What an inspiring story! it really shows what can be done with passion and determination and despite all her set backs she made it through! how great is that ! when things are tough or just stuck, when things look impossible, remember Dorothy!