PDA

View Full Version : Breakthrough in the cost of producing solar panels?

CanuckistanKork
09-19-2007, 08:08 PM
Got my fingers crossed!!!

http://www.thedailygreen.com/2007/09/05/solar-power-breathrough/6183/

Solar Power Breathrough
New Colorado Factory Promises 500 Green Collar Jobs, and Low-Cost Photo-voltaic Panels

A new factory that will make affordable solar panels from ordinary window panes is set to open in Colorado next year, according to the Rocky Mountain News.

The AVA Solar Inc. project uses a technological breakthrough by Colorado State University researchers, and promises to produce solar panels at a price that is comparable to other forms of energy ? potentially catapulting solar energy into the mainstream once and for all.

When it comes to energy efficiency, reaping what the sun gives naturally everyday is smart and efficient. The fewer ?conversions? energy goes through the more efficient it is. If the sun drives the growth of a plant, turning that plant into fuel adds a conversion, and energy is lost. Letting that plant cook underground for millions of years until it becomes coal or oil is yet another inefficiency.

The problem with solar power has never been its appeal. It has just cost too much. But the AVA Solar plan ? should it prove to be as good as it says it is ? along with other innovations are transforming solar power into a mainstream commodity. The project is one of 10 Photovoltaic Module Incubator projects funded by the Department of Energy?s Solar America Initiative. That program has the goal of driving technological innovation that makes the cost of solar energy competitive with traditional forms of electric production, like burning coal, oil and natural gas.

If every house had affordable solar panels supplying a portion of its electricity, the demand for electricity from heavy-polluting sources like coal-fired power plants would drop, along with emissions driving global warming, causing acid rain and poisoning lakes and streams with toxic mercury.

And the jobs created at the factory ? as many as 500 ? show that dreams of a ?green collar economy? that has at its heart technological innovation and high-tech manufacturing are a very real and lucrative path toward the future.

Kola
09-20-2007, 06:40 PM
sweet huh?

and here in Colorado we get 300+ days of sunshine per year.

btw Kork, welcome... and my land is a bit west of Cripple Creek.

hockey, snooker and canadian lagers,
Kola

CanuckistanKork
09-20-2007, 08:38 PM
300 days + is definetly ok with me! We're in the Springs. Not enough snow for my taste though. I think my husband used to be embarassed his wife was out there shoveling the driveway until he figured out I actually LIKE doing it.
Trying to buy some land in Leadville at the moment--LOTS of snow there :)
Would love to build off the grid with all this sunshine!

Kola
09-20-2007, 09:41 PM
I visit Col Springs once a week to get food and hit a few restaurants. I can not handle city life so I get my stuff and skadaddle out of there.

Leadville is an old run down mining town and was almost selcted as the capital of Colorado. I like it there. It is very cold up there and close to all the ski resorts.

I will be off grid as well. Good luck in your plans!

Kola

troyrjones
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
I just read an article in Popular Science Dec 2007 issue page 101 regarding Nanosolar's PowerSheet. It does not use silicon and cost about $.30 per watt. It is very thin and is not mounted on glass. Most solar panels cost $3.00 per watt. Coal costs about $1.00 per watt. Nanosolar has built what will be the worlds largest solar-panel manufacturing facility in San Jose, Calif. It will produce 430 megawatts' worth of solar cells per year which is more than all other solar cell manufacturers in the U.S. combined. Solar is really hitting it BIG!!!

farmercolby
01-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Here is the link for the nanosolar. http://www.nanosolar.com