PDA

View Full Version : Scientist discovers way to burn sea water

Tim Nirk
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
From Yahoo:

ERIE, Pa. - An Erie cancer researcher has found a way to burn salt water, a novel invention that is being touted by one chemist as the "most remarkable" water science discovery in a century.

John Kanzius happened upon the discovery accidentally when he tried to desalinate seawater with a radio-frequency generator he developed to treat cancer. He discovered that as long as the salt water was exposed to the radio frequencies, it would burn.

The discovery has scientists excited by the prospect of using salt water, the most abundant resource on earth, as a fuel.

Rustum Roy, a Penn State University chemist, has....

read the entire article here:
http://green.yahoo.com/index.php?q=node/1570

wow

kyle
09-14-2007, 05:58 AM
I thnk we already talked about this guy and his discovery.

kyle
09-14-2007, 06:00 AM
ok I can't find it. I may have seen it on another site a couple months ago.

rreidnauer
09-14-2007, 05:47 PM
I thnk we already talked about this guy and his discovery.
..... the guy who claims to have a water torch? Hydrogen Technology http://youtube.com/watch?v=x6SrXpZobJQ That's a electrolysis system, and the Fox report in the Youtube video is full of inaccuracies, but it does have potential. I've been actually meaning to build a simple electrolyzer for the Miata, to see if I could increase my mileage. I remember building them in junior high. It's very easy.

This salt water/radio waves is a totally different fish. It too looks like it has potential. It's a little like microwaves, but definitely a different technology. I wonder how long it takes from the time you emit the radio waves, to the time of combustion.

kyle
09-15-2007, 02:02 AM
Rod,

You remind me of Emmett Brown aka "Doc" in Back to the Future. I'm almost positive anyday now you are gonna invent/install a "flux capacitor" into that miata of yours!

rreidnauer
09-15-2007, 05:42 AM
Where am I suppose to come up with

One point twenty one gigawatts!?!?!?!

I only got 2.1 kilowatts of solar panels!

kyle
09-15-2007, 12:56 PM
If there's a way you'll figure it out!

greenthumb
09-15-2007, 02:40 PM
Where am I suppose to come up with

One point twenty one gigawatts!?!?!?!

I only got 2.1 kilowatts of solar panels!

Focus, Doc! Burn saltwater! :D

Now to get better mileage out of the Miata, maybe you should install a VW TDI engine. ;)

ponyboy
09-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Now to get better mileage out of the Miata, maybe you should install a VW TDI engine. ;)

Woo Hoo! :-)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p319/ponyboy93/ponyboysTDI.jpg

greenthumb
09-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Pretty! Is that yours Ponyboy? Plan to skid logs with that? :D

JimV
09-17-2007, 07:01 AM
A friend of mine has a Jetta TDI and gets 45 MPG. When he tows the utility trailer behind it with a quad in it, his MPG drops to 35. He also installed a 2 micron bypass filter system and now goes 20,000 miles between oil changes. He knows of people who went 50k between changes by sending in oil samples for analysis.

ponyboy
09-17-2007, 01:09 PM
Yep, that's mine. That was from a couple of years ago when I lived in Nevada. It's a manual.
I am getting close to 50 on the highway. The normal oil changes are every 10k according to the book.
The bypass filter sounds like a good idea! I use Amsoil (synthetic) so if I had some way to clean it it would last a loooong time.

I was able to go over 700 miles on a tank of diesel before the low fuel light came on. :-) He he he. There's a trick to put a couple of extra gallons in the tank.

If I had to do it over again I would have gotten the Jetta. More room and the guys at work wouldn't give all the crap about owning a girls car. :-)

I wish I could skid logs with it. At least it would be easy to find if I lose it in the forest. :-) Now if I could put that diesel in the back of a Baja bug.... :-)

greenthumb
09-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Neat-O ! I've heard of a Frantz bypass(toilet paper) filter that a lot of guys use on the cummins. I'm sure there is something similar to that for the VW.

If you can't find a way to put the TDI in the baja bug, you could always modify the new bug to look like a Baja! :D Break out the sawzall!

Klapton
09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I wish I could skid logs with it. At least it would be easy to find if I lose it in the forest. :-) Now if I could put that diesel in the back of a Baja bug.... :-)
Sorry, but that only works in a REAL bug. The milage is nice, but there's something just wrong about water-cooling something and calling it a BUG. (My first car was a 65 Beetle, and I later had a 59, 61, and 67, hehe)

ponyboy
09-17-2007, 05:30 PM
My first VW was a 1974 Thing! :-)

farmercolby
10-06-2007, 02:42 PM
You can mount a Frantz filter on anything with a few fittings. Where I work we are running the frantz filters on everything, including a freightliner truck, dodge cummins pickups, dodge durango, and even big caterpillar v12 generators. We are starting to use oil cetrifuge with the frantz filters too. You can find the oil centrifuge at www.dieselcraft.com

ChainsawGrandpa
10-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Wonder if there's room under the hood of my VW for a centrifuge.
For the last several year I've thought a lot of using bypass filters.
Anyone know if it would be cost effective?

I just increased my fleet to three diesels:
*'83 240D with an almost new engine. 31 mpg
*'89 Volvo/Cummins FE6-13. 10+ mpg
*'81 (almost mint) Rabbit diesel pickup. 51.417 mpg (yes, really!)

The VW has gone through a few mods to get that kind of fuel economy.

-Rick

ponyboy
10-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Wonder if there's room under the hood of my VW for a centrifuge.
-Rick

It's a tight squeeze in the bug. Not much room for anything. A Jetta maybe. Not sure about a Rabbit.

Everything you wanted to know and more about VW TDI diesel.
http://www.tdiclub.com/

GT.
10-07-2007, 01:33 PM
How much you need ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TSn2igZtuPA&mode=related&search=

ponyboy
10-08-2007, 02:26 AM
How much you need ?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TSn2igZtuPA&mode=related&search=

That must be one of the new hybrids....... :-)