PDA

View Full Version : Haulin' Logs

mbolin
01-17-2005, 06:15 AM
Does anyone out there have any experience with transporting logs with anything other than a logging truck? The reason I ask is that I have had several friends, relatives and local tree services that are willing to give me logs if I can find a way to haul them. I can hire a local logger, but to haul anything less than a whole trailer load would not be financially feasable. If I can figure out a way to haul 3-5 logs at a time I'll be in business. I have a dually pick-up truck so I could purchase a 40' gooseneck trailer and allow about 10' to hang off the back, but even a used trailer of that size will be expensive. I have heard that people have used two car dollies ( one attached to truck other strapped/chained to logs) to transport logs for short distances. I live in a relatively rural county so over-length restrictions etc, won't be a problem for a short haul. Thanks

al_abrams
01-21-2005, 06:38 AM
On the farm I grew up on, we used a "farm wagon" to move logs from the woods to the mill. A distance of about two miles. They can be purchased new from Tractor Dealers who might have a used one. These are not pretty or elegant. They were cheap in their day( I have not checked in the last 40 years or so). :wink:

The logs were tied down with chain and binders around the frame. There are lots of caveats warnings ect. ect. when using this equipment.

I have looked at "Log Arches" and Pole Haulers, and they appear to be safer and easier to use. Paying something for equipment to get free logs is not unreasonable especially if you can resell the items later.

mbolin
01-21-2005, 07:42 AM
Al, is a pole hauler used by utility companies to haul utility poles? I have wondered if those could be purchased used from a utility company.

al_abrams
01-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Sorry took a week off. As you can see this is what I do on Friday Nights.
Yes they can be acquired from Utility Companies. It Is however the companies dispose of used equipment. And that varies considerably. A Phone call to your local Power and Light Co. just might do the trick.

parkerloghome
03-28-2005, 07:09 AM
I bought a utility pole trailer off ebay that can haul with my F-150. And, If you are still interested, I know someone who has one. I've hauled 40ft logs w/mine. email me if you have questions.

Donny
03-28-2005, 10:25 AM
I just got a call from a guy who responded to my newspaper add. He is retired and has pine trees with 5 foot diameters at the base he wants off his property. I'm trying to figure out how to get them hauled to my property now. I called a logger who said he can haul them in between jobs. I'm trying to figure out if I should pay the man for his logs and then pay the logger to haul them or have the logger pay the man and by them from the logger.

mbolin
03-28-2005, 10:37 AM
I have also thought about the same scenario. If you pay for the logs first your in trouble if your logger backs out or has problems getting the job done. I guess the ideal option would be if the owner would allow you to pay for the trees as they are being cut, or on a per load basis.

charner
03-29-2005, 04:45 AM
Donny, I was considering doing the same thing.
What was the wording in your add?

Also, I think that it would be best to pay seperately.
There's bound to be another logger that will be
available. This will also prevent them from trying
to make an additional cut. Congrats!