PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Woodman
01-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Hi everyone,

My name is Woody Orr and I attended the class in November 2004. My wife, Robbi, and I currently live in Houston, TX. About 2 weeks ago we closed on a 4 acre parcel of land on the Columbia River Gorge near Stevenson, Washington. Our house in Texas is now up for sale and we plan to move to Washington by early spring. Our plans for a 2300 sq ft log home are currently with Rock Engineering and we plan to start construction as soon as we sell our house here. I have begun my collection of log building tools and have already assembled 6 sets of blocks and tackle using the info contained in the previous issue of the log homebuilders newsletter. We have a Northern Tools store in town and I cleaned them out of their supply of 24 large 5" snatch blocks. Got them for 18 bucks each!

These newsletters have some great information and resources. As a new member to this forum, I noticed back issues are available. I'm going there as soon as I finish this post.

We would really like to hear from anyone in the Gorge area.

Visiting with the folks in the Skamania County Planning office, the Health Department, and the Permits office was such a pleasant experience. We can't wait to get up there.

Trading in the blistering heat of Houston for the cool/cold of Home Valley, Washington!

(The following was added January 2016):

Our home has been finished for several years now and the website below is a pictorial of our building project. We were proud to be awarded with the "Exceptional Log Home" certificate in November 2010.

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/woodman/

woodrh
01-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Dang, I thought I might have a Texas buddy to council with! We close this week on a 10 acre piece up here West of Fort Worth....I'm going to see if there is a Northern tools in this area..good luck in Wa. State! Rich W. in Southlake, Tx...

karmrd
04-27-2005, 11:44 AM
Hello,

My name is Mark. I live central Georgia and am very interested in log home contruction. Does anyone here know any members from this area that could help me find resources for materials and such. I have no idea where to start. I have a contract pending on 8 acres over looking a lake in Zebulon, Ga. We want to have a few horses and maybe a beef cow or two. The problem with building a log homes is that I do not have one single tree on my land. I would have to haul some in but where should I look for a tree source? There are plenty of southern pine trees around here but are they desirable building stock?

I also would consider walking away from this deal and moving to a more suitable log home area if I had an opportunity. Any suggestions?

Mark

kyle
04-27-2005, 12:48 PM
Mark,

If you haven't already attend the class and they will help you with how to locate logs. Its also a great experience!

Steve
04-27-2005, 12:57 PM
The problem with building a log homes is that I do not have one single tree on my land. I would have to haul some in but where should I look for a tree source? There are plenty of southern pine trees around here but are they desirable building stock?

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the forums!

For the most part, we recommend using what you can get locally (and for a lower cost) rather than importing house logs from somewhere else. Southern yellow pine is very common in the south and usually inexpensive because it is very fast growing. That also means it has a tendency to shrink, warp and twist more than average. Fortunately it does make a fine log home as long as it is built correctly. So keep your eyes open for good deals on logs and start studying now. ;)

Steve

karmrd
04-27-2005, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the reply,

See there I learned something already.

karmrd

Noelle
04-28-2005, 01:47 PM
HI!

My name is Noelle, and I am signed up for next months memorial weekend class (well, my hubby and I).

TSWIII
05-20-2005, 10:17 AM
Guys/Gals,
GO TO THE CLASS! You could post questions all day or you could go to the class and get most of the information that you will need. Save yourself some time, some pain, some agony and just go. At first the tuition may be something that you might not feel you can lay out but I will tell you - from experience - that if you're one to think about "investing" (in that you will get more back - of anything - from an original investment) then you would be wise to take the class. If you need, borrow money from momma's cookie jar, drink a few less beers, watch a few less mindless movies and save up and GO!
My only motive for writing this is my own recent experience (last Saturday) and just to say that there is so much valuable information here that I guarentee you that if you pay attention, you will end up saving tons of time and $$$. Of course if you aren't that serious about building a log home then you would be right to continue to peruse whatever is available. If you are motivated - - - start with the class... It will be the BEST investment in the long haul.

TSWIII
Graduating class of May 15,2005

wood bug
05-23-2005, 09:12 AM
Diddo what she said, IF you are serious about doing it your self you'll save the tuition when you do your own slab.

Hi class mate :D

Heres a link www.houselogs.net its K&k lumber and logs homes in Silt , CO.
May be a place for some log price research

legrena
07-13-2005, 07:01 PM
Hello Peoples!

My name is Sergio and I'm in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I've always wanted to live in a log home. I just started my quest, research, etc. and feel fortunate to have stumbled on this community. There is so much to learn. I'm getting ready to purchase some land and begin planning the site/build. May even have to take the course at some point...

Anyways - looking forward to learning as much as I can from all 'yins.

B in NOLA
07-14-2005, 08:44 PM
Howdy, from the deep south!

As I just stumbled onto the Log Home Builder's Association website very recently, I don't have any "credentials" to speak of. I'm just a free thinker who likes what he's read so far -- especially Skip's thoughts on things. Consequently, I'm also considering the builders course coming in Spetember of '05.

As we're currently looking for land in Western Mass -- where most of my wife's family lives -- I'd appreciate any thoughts from those with knowledge about this area. Specifically, I'd love to read any thoughts anyone has on whether or not "government restrictions" would prevent us from building our own log home there.

After reading Skip's words, I'm assuming there are those among us who are "hard core" about our right to realize the real American Dream -- building your own home with your own hands! Anyway, I was very happy to discover a website for free thinking folks, and I'm also very glad to find a forum for them as well :D

Have a great night,
B in NOLA

robrb01
07-16-2005, 01:43 PM
:D Hello all! Looking forward to being a part of this group! My husband, Rob, and I are signed up for the Labor Day Weekend Class and are already excited! We are currently looking for land in MA. I am a licensed Realtor so am finding new listings daily and getting psyched! Can't wait to learn from you and contribute someday as well. Stay cool! ~June B.

Pete
07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Hello everyone! I am registered for the class this coming Labor Day weekend, and can hardly wait. I am making this a vacation of my dreams, as I will be spending a few days at a campground on Vancouver island prior to the course, then after the course will spend a couple of days exploring some Washington back country.
Looking forward to some beautiful scenery!

07-19-2005, 02:43 PM
Hello all -

Recently went full time at home (small internet biz w/my girlfriend) and looking to escape the city. We currently live in a rented townhome... something neither of us will miss. I have spent time in the Pacific NW and *really* want to build a home there (Washington is by far my first choice.)
Any thoughts on Moses Lake? It's flatter than we'd like, but land seems fairly inexpensive... we are definitely interested in suggestions! Our finances are super-tight, but we're planning on selling off some of our useless crapola, buying a travel trailer, attending the classes and doing it right!

We're especially interested in land near water, remote is just fine as long as we can get SOME sort of internet (satellite) preferably broadband.

Anyway, we've been reading this site with a great deal of interest and excitement - thanks and congrats to those who've built some exceptionally beautiful homes!

We look forward to being your neighbors one day.

Regards,

Brian & Michelle

NordicPrincess
07-19-2005, 08:58 PM
Welcome to the forum, folks!
I can't give you any insight on the northwest, never having been there, but it certainly looks to be an awesome place. Can't wait to see it in person.
Best wishes on your adventure!
Shanara

gabriel_h
09-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I'll be moving to the piedmont-triad area of North Carolina in a few weeks, and I've just started to look for land in the area. I am interested in someplace near Reidsville since that is where my(soon-to-be EX-)wife and daughter are living. Are there any other forum members from NC?

I will probably take the class sometime this year, and I plan on building mortgage-free, living on my land in an old trailer/mobile home since I've found several single-wides online already for less than $7000. I'm also interested in homesteading, bio-diesel/ethanol production and passive-solar cabin designs.

ChainsawGrandpa
09-25-2005, 09:44 AM
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Think you'll really enjoy the class when you take it.
I took the class about 12 - 13 years ago and it was
one of the best things I have done in my life. Right
after the class I bought a nice property from a "don't
wanter". He just wanted the property out of his hair.
Got it for well under $1,000.
We decided to remodel first, then build the log home.
The remodel is almost done (Grrr...) and the lot is
now up for sale. We have started to build our log home
on a different piece of property. The good news is
that the first lot is now listed for $42,000! Hey, I guess
the class has paid for itself! There is no feeling in the
world like building your own log home for cash. No
banks breathing down your neck. Been there...never again!
Might be faster to put in a power pole, and build a stick
frame house, but I just can't afford that. The log home will
be less than 1/3 the cost of conventional framing methods.
Of course, YMMV.

Do a search for biolyle and girl mark.
Those sites are a wealth of knowledge for biodiesel.
Met Lyle through IMEX. He needed to dispose of a
lot of glycerin, and I needed it for the rubber on my
diesel Mercedes. He is now using the same bio making
system as girl mark.

For homesteading, cattle are fine, but here's a good way
to handle chickens:
Buy the chickens. Give half to someone else. They will
raise them in YOUR pen on THEIR property. The pen and
hen house are on wheels that lift on a cam. This allows
the chickens to feed in a new area each day, and is secure
from preditors. Their responsibility is to raise the chickens,
split the feed costs, butcher and wrap. The best part is that
no roosters are waking you at 5:00AM! You get half the
meat, half the eggs, none of the headaches.

For alternate power check out:
More Power to You! by Skip Thomsen
www.utterpower.com
Utterpower CD

I had planned to spend $34/year for my power but now my
projections show that it could be almost twice that amount.
For our purposes, four 125 watt solar panels will extend the
fuel supply, but still allow the generator to keep healthy by
running for a few hours every few days.

The best part of a log home is it gives you a new lease on life.
Live on less dollars, less stress, and enjoy your life.

-Rick

gabriel_h
09-25-2005, 02:47 PM
Hey Rick,
Thanks for the welcome post - it sounds like you got lucky with your land. I'm actually hoping that the farmer I'll be renting from will let me buy some of his land, but I'm not betting on it. But i am counting on the possibility that knowing him and doing some work for my neighbors will eventually lead me to a good deal on land. More than just renting a cheap place, I'll be doing some serious networking.

When you say that you met Lyle through IMEX are you talking about the monetary exchange, the surplus eschange, or something different? (I'm familiar with both of the first two choices.) I've read about Biodiesel in HomePower magazine and I've become interested in Solar after reading through a friends tattered "Backwoods Solar" catalog. Most of my interest comes from my reading about these different ideas in Home Power magazine, though. Once I'm back in NC I plan on visiting a local Biodiesel co-op and checking in with Solar Consultants, Inc. (Carrboro, NC) to possibly arrange to visit visit some solar homes.

As far as homesteading goes, I can handle everything but slaughtering/butchering livestock, so I'll probably give half of the chickens to one person as you recommended, and give half to another, so I won't have to do anything but build the pens. I'm more interested in growing fruits and vegetables - I can't imagine handling livestock in any way other than riding or working horses. But I'm just getting started - It'll be interesting to see where I stand on this in 3-5 years.

ChainsawGrandpa
09-25-2005, 02:55 PM
Lyle was giving away free glycerin (glyceride) at:
(Google search) metrokc IMEX. Industrial Materials
EXchange. Easiest just to Google biolyle. Watch
his online video. Pretty good but he is now using
an updated system.
-Rick

JCD45
11-06-2005, 01:02 PM
:o Hey everyone........My name is Jean-Claude and I'm from Quebec, Canada. 3 years ago, I built a small workshop out of logs...never took any classes and I think it turned out all right. My next project is to build a 2000 square foot log home on the same property using the full scribe method with the lateral groove. I've already peeled the 200 + trees that I will need to build the house, the partitions, the log floor and the log staircase.....Construction starts in the spring..... I'm hoping on some advices as the construction continues, relatively to the post and purlin system for the roof....

PS: This site is wonderful and full of advice for pretty much everything. Glad to be on board!!!!! :wink:

ChainsawGrandpa
11-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Jean-Claude,

Welcome aboard! Lots of good useful information here.
Since you have already built, I'm sure you're aware
that the verticals (posts, ridge pole supports) will need
to be compensated. As the outer walls settle, the posts
will push up the floor, roof, and anything else they are
attached to. Actually, they won't go up, just the outside
walls will go down. Mostly compensated for with screw-
jacks and due diligence.

Have a good time here. A lot of friendly helpful people who
are willing to share their knowledge.

-Rick

JCD45
11-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Yeah, I know. I have 3 support posts as roof support and 3 screwjacks that a local welder will be doing for me on the main floor. It, in turn supports my second floor lof joists for the upper floor. I can't wait to start.... I'm just hitching to use my hand adze and log scribers.... I've practiced for the past year to keep the double level bubbles level....It's tough at first but you get the feel for it pretty fast...

newsboy
11-08-2005, 07:31 AM
Signed up today. I recently bought a loghouse in the north of Sweden.
It was built in 1940 and was originally used for woodworkers to stay under several months during their workingperiods, a three horse stable
sits 35 meters away. No water, no electricity, loads of brownbears and moose. I am adding a screened porch next spring and thought this forum might be useful for finding info. I have an outdoor loggingmuseum 400 meters from the house which is kind of cool. The pictures in the students logghousegallery really inspired me.

Regards, Joakim / Sweden

A couple of pics of my retreat.
http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5414#5414

JeffandSara
11-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Wow, Joakim--

Lovely, lovely spot. Man, we're envious. :D

My family has a no-electricity, no running water cabin of a similar size on a large acreage near the Canadian border in the state of New Hampshire. Not logs, but reminds me a little of yours. No pond/lake, though. That must be a really peaceful location. :D

Welcome to the group!
Sara :D

NordicPrincess
11-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Hi Joakim,
Welcome to the forum!
You are truly blessed to live in such a beautiful place! Makes me want to be out trudging in that snow with my great pyrenees and my weiner dogs. Of course, they would most likely be in a sled wrapped up in a fur blanket, seeing as how I would never find them in all that snow, but we would be having a great time, that's for certain.
Your place reminds me so much of where I grew up. I can't wait to get back home and have my own little piece of heaven.
Best wishes to you in all your endeavors.
Shanara

jeffro
11-14-2005, 03:49 AM
Hello all,

Seems like a good time to introduce myself. My name is Jeff and my wife and I plan to start construction within 5 years. We will be moving about 2 hours from where we currently live to be within easy driving distance to our families which will make things like the upcoming holiday season that much nicer.

Hope to take the class sometime next spring, depending on how budgets and bonuses work out in the mean time.

I plan to construct a workshop first to work out the finer details of the construction method and then build our house which we are starting to write down our wants/needs for now. The workshop will be nice to have depending on how much of the final milling I do myselft, might go full on and build a chainsaw mill, who knows at this point. It will also serve as the workplace for an internet business that my brother in law and I are hoping to start up.

Many wonderful examples and vast knowledge here, thanks for all of it so far and to come.

Jeff

Hillbillyff
12-12-2005, 11:58 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just joined this forum and this is my first post. I'll be moving to the piedmont-triad area of North Carolina in a few weeks, and I've just started to look for land in the area. I am interested in someplace near Reidsville since that is where my(soon-to-be EX-)wife and daughter are living. Are there any other forum members from NC?

I will probably take the class sometime this year, and I plan on building mortgage-free, living on my land in an old trailer/mobile home since I've found several single-wides online already for less than $7000. I'm also interested in homesteading, bio-diesel/ethanol production and passive-solar cabin designs.

Gabe,
I am brand new to the forum and ran across the log home builders site about a month ago. I live about 30 miles south of Durham. My plan is to take the class in Washington in about a year or so, and acquire land and start building 2 years after that.
I will probably look to find land in Chatham county. Look forward to maybe working with you.

Lookout
01-04-2006, 09:11 AM
Hey Everyone, I moved from Oklahoma to NW Georgia to get out of the flat lands and into the Mountains, Right now I live on top of Lookout Mountain on 4 acres with a pond and 2 cabins, getting the feel if this is what my Wife, Daughter and I want and it looks like it's a yes. Next step we will start looking for land of our own and take the class.

WillandHelen
01-05-2006, 08:00 AM
Real pretty area Lookout. Just got finished driving through N.Georgia into N. Carolina. Welcome!

Lookout
01-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Thanks WillandHelen :D it is very pretty here. We spend a lot of time in Alabama, I do some work all the way down in Montgomery a 3 hour drive for me. I live near Mentone Alabama

clarkin
01-06-2006, 12:45 AM
Hi folks,

My wife coming across your forum/website today seems just the thing for us. We appreciate the access and availability to your wealth of information. This is my 22nd year here in Alaska. My wife joined me here 3 years ago from Oregon. After an intensive search for property on which to build for the last two years. We finally closed mid Oct on 11 acres surrounded by lakes in the small town of Willow, Ak about 70 miles north of Anchorage. We have a saying here that "Alaska is only 20 minutes from Anchorage." The property is heavily populated with birch, ash and spruce. We've redone our log home plans 4 times in the last year/half and we're currently around 3500 sqft - including shop and garage. We have a small woodcrafting business that we'd like to move out of our mobile home in the city. We're doing almost every aspect of the developement ourselves so we don't plan on being there full time for 6-8 years - but what an exciting journey for us both. We cut the first tree a few days ago and today purchased a 26' bandsaw mill and trying deperately to find a good deal on a backhoe and we've a fella to help with logging. In Alaska, every resident is entitled to 10K board ft. per year for personal use (no sale) for house logs, firewood, etc. So if you log it yourself, you only pay for transport. Our new website should be up and running in a few weeks and we'll have photos and continuous news of our progress posted. We are learning so much and have so much to learn and look forward to communicating with any of you in the near and far future.

sparky
01-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Hello Clarkin,
Welcome :D I used to live in Anchorage myself. We rented a duplex on San Roberto Ave. just down the street from the ball field. We had some friends who owned a small cabin on 160 acres not to far from Palmer on a lake called Bumblebee lake. Our friend Karl's dad homesteaded there way back when you could sill obtain property that way. When we lived in Anchorage (early 1980's) we used to say "welcome to Anchorage, in 45 minutes you can be in Alaska" :!: I guess the times are a changing. Anyway seeing your post sent me on a wonderful mental walk down memory lane. :lol: Thanks for the trip and again welcome. :D

2S Ranch
01-06-2006, 09:35 AM
Hello,
My name is Shanna. My husband Steve & I took the class in August 2004.
We are from Alberta, Canada. We have started on a small cabin (we have 12 logs up so far). Before we think of building a house we would like to do more research. We would like to see another butt and pass home that has been built in Alberta if anyone can help with that. We would like to see how one withstands the wind, cold winters, drastic changes in the Alberta climate, and mice. Of course we will see this all hands on when our cabin is complete but would like more info in the meantime. Our logs will most likely come from BC as there is no large house logs to be found where we are. Luckily on our land there is enough poplar large enough for us to practice by building a cabin. Its been fun so far.
We look forward to hearing from others close by.

clarkin
01-21-2006, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the welcome Sparky. Had an old friend years ago that lived on San Roberto - though so much has changed here since you left. Its only 20 minutes now since Anchorage is growing so much. You wouldn't believe Wasilla. Hopefully our road in Willow won't get paved atleast for another 20. After my heart attack last fall, we're wanting even more to get out of this wanna be city. The fella that taught me most of what I know of felling timber is from Bend as is his family (Dent). He was just there visiting a few weeks ago. Take care.

John W
11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I was going through the old pages, wondering if anyone in this thread still posts, and how many have started/completed their houses?

matthew67
11-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Hello a fellow Texan here I moved from Galveston 5 years ago to Washington State we lived in Camano Island Wa and now are in Pasco Washington we are planning on buy land next year in North East Washington something over 50 Acres and are planning on attending the next class for 2012 to help us build our dream log home well good luck to you...

Matthew Moss

rocklock
11-12-2011, 07:48 PM
John W - Many have completed their homes... generally after one has completed their home they tend to post less...
Matthew67 - I have built on Camano Island... Why in the world would you want to move to eastern Washington... It gets really cold over there... On the north end of Camano we get about 17 inches of rain...

And Another thing .... If you fill out your profile, you may find folks that are near you or be willing help...
SO, let us know a little more about you and your project...

If you notice, I check into the individuals profile ...

Flyflicker
11-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi,
My wife and I took the class from Skip quite a long time ago ( 98 -2000?) and we now live in Kansas. I am wondering if anyone here has built a home in KS? It is great to get connected with this community, and we are starting to think we might build here. Thanks!

Bjurandsons
03-11-2014, 10:48 AM
Hi everyone. I've been lurking for a while here. I'm a former youth pastor turned handyman who is dreaming of a log home in the near future. I live in the Fargo ND area and hope to attend the class ASAP. My wife is almost convinced, just a little more nudging and she'll be all in I think.

sdart
03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
You should take your wife over to visit panderson03's build near Fergus Falls, MN this summer. That will convince her!

panderson03
03-11-2014, 12:33 PM
great idea, Sarah!!

Bjurandson's, we're building just 1 hour away from Fargo:) please take the class. we need all the help we can get! mid June we'll be finishing up the roof on the cabin! our garage is Skip's butt and pass too and that ones nearly done.

welcome!
glad you found us.

Bjurandsons
03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
I would love to see your progress so far. I can't even describe how excited I would be to show my lovely wife the true beauty of a log home built by your own hands.