PDA

View Full Version : Good books?

Reb
01-13-2005, 04:35 PM
I thought it would be fun/informational to start a thread where people list good books that have been helpful to them in their pursuits of log home building, debt-free living, homesteading, freedom, etc.

So, what books have helped you?

I really enjoyed "The Complete Tightwad Gazette" by Amy Dacyczyn, when we were so broke and in over our heads with debt that we thought we'd never get out of it all.

I later enjoyed "Your Money or Your Life" by Joe Dominguez, when we could see the light at the end of the tunnel and even began to think about financial independence.

I also really liked "The Encyclopedia of Country Living", which I recently came across but has been in print since the 70's. It's got all sorts of fascinating articles about homesteading and similar topics, but is written in a very accessible style. Perfect for someone like me, who likes farms... from a distance. ;) (Seriously, though, it did make me consider doing a homesteading experiment in the future.)

So, what books have you liked?

russ
01-14-2005, 09:29 AM
Have you checked out Living Homes by Thomas J. Elpel ?
He covers log building methods as well as other alternative types of construction.
I found the book very interesting.
Here's a link http://www.hopspress.com/Books/Living_Homes.htm

mbolin
01-20-2005, 05:59 AM
An excellent book on debt-free living is "Margin" by Richard Swenson. I found a copy on half.com for $3-$4. It addresses several of the negative symptoms of our high tech, progressive society; high debt, high stress, no free time, etc.

ClubMike
01-22-2005, 09:59 AM
I read Thomas Elpels book. It was pretty good. I would recommend it.

fulenchek
01-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Wow we also have copies of all three of those great books Reb. Laura uses the Tightwad Gazette on an almost daily basis for the "whatever you got muffins".

Your Money or your Life was a great read, but I actually broke down when it came to doing the work of inventorying all my worldly possessions and assigning a cash value to each one of them. A sure sign that I have too much stuff. The concept of the fulfillment curve really makes this a worthwhile read.

Fanancial Peace (or there's a newer edition now) by Dave Ramsey is a great book which gives you a basic plan to becoming and staying debt free that is really easy to implement and really worked well for us.

Although I won't take or recommend some of his advice myself, I'll recommend any of Robert Kiyosaki's books, especially Cashflow Quadrant, just because they really helped solidify and diagram some concepts around how rich people, vs. middle class vs. poor people view and manage assets and liabilities.

Get 'em at the library!

Reb
01-26-2005, 08:40 AM
Although I won't take or recommend some of his advice myself, I'll recommend any of Robert Kiyosaki's books, especially Cashflow Quadrant, just because they really helped solidify and diagram some concepts around how rich people, vs. middle class vs. poor people view and manage assets and liabilities.

We're big Kiyosaki fans. :) I even have his board game, which is just great!

Logbear
01-26-2005, 10:50 AM
Here's a book that is free on line. It's also usually available in paperback.
http://www.mcwilliams.com/books/books/aint/

spin05
01-26-2005, 11:38 AM
"ONE MANS WILDERNESS" amazon has it for about 12.00 bucks Its the book about the show alone in the wilderness were the guy builds a log cabin in alaska and lives in it for 32years

CRASH
02-07-2005, 01:35 PM
I read McWilliams and it was great!
Took a while, but most of it was too good to put down, and went pretty quickly considering it's massive size.
It is too bad what happend to him.

Steve
02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Here's another good book you can read free online (you can also buy the paperback):

The Underground History of American Education (http://www.johntaylorgatto.com/underground/)

It's way more interesting than it sounds... Spend five minutes reading the first chapter and you'll be hooked. ;)

Out of curiosity, has anybody read this one? The Bargain Hunter's & Smart Consumer's Field Guide: How To Buy Almost Anything For Next To Nothing (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0971459819/l-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1)

Someone pointed that one out to me and I've been wondering if it was any good.

Steve

JeffandSara
02-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Jeff's new favorite book is called, I think, "Handloggers" by (I think) W.H. Jackson. It's about a couple who lived off and logged the land in Alaska. It was recommended to us by a friend who's a logger in New Hampshire, because it's HIS favorite book, too. I haven't read it yet, but the photos are fascinating! :D

Sara

luthgarden
02-10-2005, 07:22 PM
A good book for wiring your home is Practical Electrical Wiring by Richter. Part of the book covers industrial wiring as the book is for electrician students, but there is a great section for residential wiring. It has good, detailed pictures of how to wire multiple light switches, receptacles. how to run power to smaller buildings from your main box, etc. It helped me to wire my and my friend's basement when I finished them. I'm not an electrical wizard....I just followed the book. I have had the book for 20 years and still find it useful. Not much has changed. It doesn't have code info, so one would want to contact their local building department for that.

Luthgarden

flcowgirl
03-02-2005, 05:27 PM
An old logger friend of mine recently shared with me his precious book. It's a little pocket book that has an endless supply of information about lumber and logs. I wrote down the information off the book and searched for it a few times on ebay, and eventually I found one and won the auction. This awesome little book was published in 1923 by S.E. Fisher of 195 Platt Street Rochester, NY and the title of the book is Scribner's Lumber and Log Book. Perhaps if you come across one you might want to consider taking it out of circulation. :)

ianebeggs
03-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Steve, I followed your link to the underground history of american education and I almost couldn't find time to reply. This is scaring the crap out of me. We were already planning on home-schooling our kids but there's no question now. HOLY CRAP. It all makes sense now....

Ian

stubborndad
03-06-2005, 06:15 PM
John Taylor Gotto, (the author of " The Underground History of American Education) he came to our small town to speak on a panel of professionals on homeschooling and school reform. He is quite an animated person! He caused quite a commotion, doesn't pull any punches, it was great! His research is right on the head. There are some other good resources available, one book is called "Dumbing us down" by the same author. Do your research, you will find lots of literature/info on that subject. It is good to understand how this country works and things came to be. Skip might call that "Legal Kung Fu" :wink: Steve L.

Log-Lizard
03-06-2005, 07:33 PM
Not very practical but one of the earliest american back-to-nature book is Walden by Henry David Thoreau (an enviromental philosopher). This story about a spiritual awakening by returning to a simple life in the Massachusetts woodlands is an absolute classic.

One caveat: Thoreau is kinda crazy for ancient dead languages. Otherwise a nice easy fire-time read.

JeffandSara
03-07-2005, 04:57 AM
Log Lizard--

I enjoyed Walden about 10 years ago when I read it. He's sort of... I don't know, pompous or something. But it was, as you said, a good read. And what stuck with me about it was his questioning of current values.

My copy's packed still (no bookshelves in the new house yet), but I always remember him saying something about how a man would sooner go to town with a broken leg than with a break in his pant-leg. Even way back then people were awfully concerned with appearances instaed of substance. I giggle about that quote when folks are staring at me in the post office because I didn't take time to change out of my painting clothes! :P

Sara :D

KakarotMF
03-07-2005, 12:17 PM
Here's a book about a Cleveland couple who had their $350,000 house built and the horror that insued! From 1st phone call with the GC to the judge's verdict, find out how bad things can get and what chance you have in court of getting your money back.

And They Built a Crooked House
by Ruth S. Martin
ISBN 1879653028
Amazon price: about $7

luthgarden
03-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Reb:

A life-changing book for me was "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas J. Stanley. He goes into detail on how people could overcome their financial difficulties with some adjustments in attitude toward spending and living. This isn't just another finincial guru book. He studies different millionaires habits and passes their secrets on to you.

It's worth a read.

Kevin

clairenj
03-20-2005, 06:31 PM
just received a great book from Amazon's bargain used department. paid $9.99 for a $40 book! Hands-on Log Homes - Cabins built on dreams.....Cindy and Art Thiede. nice read lot's of nice pics. (Inside Log Homes, another by Cindy, is good eye-candy to keep on the coffe table for visiting family and friends) Also, I really like The Cabin, Dale Mulfinger,Susan E. Davis - sketches of the footprints and building details.
We actually, coincidentally hooked up with someone whose work is featured in this one for our logs purchase. small world...........

Reb
03-21-2005, 05:36 AM
Reb:

A life-changing book for me was "The Millionaire Next Door" by Thomas J. Stanley. He goes into detail on how people could overcome their financial difficulties with some adjustments in attitude toward spending and living. This isn't just another finincial guru book. He studies different millionaires habits and passes their secrets on to you.

It's worth a read.

Kevin

One of my favorite books. ;)

luthgarden
03-21-2005, 04:22 PM
Reb:

Another good book along those lines is "Rich Dad's Prophecy".

Kevin

Reb
03-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Reb:

Another good book along those lines is "Rich Dad's Prophecy".

Kevin

I haven't seen that one... is it a Robert Kyosaki book?

luthgarden
03-21-2005, 05:46 PM
Reb:

Yes, it is a Robert Kyosaki book. Robert's rich dad (actually his friend's rich dad that mentored the both of them with their finances) warned them of America's growing debt and disappearing retirement benefits and the danger of investing in the market..........boy was he right! The book paints a doom and gloom picture, but it dives deeply into the reasons why the stock market and retirement plans are flawed and offers viable options. According to Rich Dad, the last stock market correction was a warning. Honestly, I stopped my 403B after reading this book.

Kevin

stubborndad
03-22-2005, 12:36 AM
Since you both were talking about homeschooling, the book "You are your childs first teacher" by Rahima Baldwin Dancy. Luthgarden, that may be a good book for your wife.(or anyone interested in homeschooling/ homelearning) It comes highly recomended. Steve L.

luthgarden
03-22-2005, 05:58 AM
Steve L:

Thanks for the book tip. I'll check it out. I was also looking over the book by Gatto that Steve White mentioned. My wife has been open minded about the subject, so we'll see where it goes.

How are things on the New York homestead?

Take Care,

Kevin

ChainsawGrandpa
03-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Here's one I can really recommend, probably in the top
five best I have ever read. Very useful, also, very hard
to find. Do all you can to find this book. It is a "must have".

A guide to preserving
a 12 Month Harvest

by Mariel Dewey

Ortho Books

If you want to know anything about growing, finding, and preserving
food, then it's probably in here. The book is only about 100 pages
but the wealth of information is amazing.

Can't find the publishing date but the price of the book might
be a hint...$3.98. Looks like about 1974 - 1978.

Three other great books are:

More Power to You
by Skip Thomsen

A guide of how to set up inexpensive, reliable "off-the-grid" power.

Making the best of Basics
family preparednes handbook
by James Talmage Stevens

A little bit of everything, how to book. Everyone should have
this book in their library.

Joy of Gardening
by Dick Raymond

This is the only gardening book you will ever need.

Two others that can be helpful:

*Nuclear war Survival Skills
*No such thing as Doomsday

Two, how to live guides if the going gets tough. Good information
and also some worthless information.

-Rick

stubborndad
03-23-2005, 11:42 PM
Luthgarden, the "homestead" is going slowly but surely! Thanks! Steve L.

Fred
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
From leevalley.com

From Log to Log House
by Sven-Gunnar Håkansson
Norwegian/Swedish perspective: Lots of smaller cabins, houses, sheds you/I may not agree with everything, but I liked the look of the designs.

also from Leevalley
The Craft of Log Building by Hermann Phleps
translated by Roger MacGregor

Originally published in 1942 in Germany as Der Blockbau, this book has since gained recognition as a definitive work on the history of European horizontal log construction.

Very cool book too see the myriad variations of very traditional log building, lots of cool pre-war pictures, evolution of designs, style comparisons

And if you liked that you'll like:
(amazon has 'em)
The Wooden Architecture of Russia: Houses, Fortifications, and Churches
by A. V. Opolovnikov

Russia had/has an incredible log building tradition. The Churches are awesome, the fortifications amazing ( imagine a prefabricated fortress of logs with huge towers amd firing platforms for cannon being erected overnight on a river bank, in 1650's, after been floated down 100's of miles of river), or log and rock "bunkers" that could take massive punishment, and also homes great and humble. Superb photo's and drawings. Not about building so much, but what was built

walkrightin
03-31-2005, 12:29 PM
I have an old book that I turn to time and again for general homesteading knowledge-- "Gene Logsdon's Practical Skills." Logsdon treats construction, maintenance, preservation of buildings; furniture repair and finishing; farming and gardening; animal husbandry; butchering, cooking; fencing; woodlots; coggling; heating with wood, etc. Even radio reception. Published by Rodale, 1985. I don't know if it's still in print, but there are some available.

The ISBN is 0878575774. If you go to Allbookstores.com and enter that number it will find some. I think there is one being auctioned on Ebay now.

Walker

NordicPrincess
04-01-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi Walker,
What is coggling?
Shanara

walkrightin
04-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Here's Logsdon's explanation "'Coggle' is not a word you will find in any ordinary dictionary. It's a folk word that, as far as I know, came out of the Kentucky hills where survival depended on the ability to coggle. It means to improvise a method of doing something when the proper tools or materials are not available. The word usually applies to a makeshift repair job. The idea is that one will redo the repair or improvisation properly when there is more time later--but such a time never arrives."

When your car heater isn't working and you heat up a couple of rocks on your woodstove to put on the floorboard to warm your feet, you're coggling! But he says that if you're wanting a convertible and you cut of your hardtop with a welding torch, you've carried coggling too far.

More "The true coggler values only the kind of coggling that saves money, but there is a lesser genre of the art where money is not the issue. One of my sisters dries her children's winter boots out with a blow dryer, and another defrosts her freezer with it. I have a third sister who washes her apples in the dishwasher, but that's another story."

One cannot succeed as a homesteader without this skill. Happy coggling, everybody. )

spin05
04-01-2005, 06:51 AM
now days thats called pulling a McGiver !!!!!!!!

JeffandSara
04-01-2005, 08:12 AM
And to THINK! We've been coggling all these years and just didn't know it! :lol: :D

Sounds like our kind of book, Walker!

Sara :D

badsign
04-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I will be taking the 23/24th class and is there one particular must have book, without a doubt not to be without
Gary

JeffandSara
04-13-2005, 10:09 AM
Hi, Badsign--

I wouldn't buy anything until AFTER you go, now. Just go and absorb and enjoy. When you get home, there'll be plenty of time to start charting new courses and getting new ideas. :D

Sara

badsign
04-13-2005, 01:26 PM
then that is exactly what I'll do
Thanks Gary

ChainsawGrandpa
05-09-2005, 06:26 PM
A book I very highly recommend and is also almost
impossible to find just came up on half.com. They
have three copies of:

A guide to preserving food for a 12 months harvest
by Mariel Dewey

This is a Sunset book. Not too thick but incredibly
rich in information. This is closer to a survival book
than a book about drying and canning. Should be on
top of your must have list.

I'm really hoping all three copies will be bought up by
members...helps to give us a wider resource base.

If I remember I'll bring my copy to the June meeting.

-Rick

peterd
06-12-2005, 10:54 PM
there is an older book which my local library no longer carries and the name of which i can not recall. i believe it was from the mid seventies and dealt exclusively with log construction. i have been trying to find a copy for a few years now, and this has been rather difficult without knowing the title. i'm sure it is no longer in print but i was hoping that someone here was familure with the book and could help me. there were quite a few interesting plans, such as a dumb waiter, a built-in firewood storage box with doors that opened outdoors as well as indoors. the book also covered the basics of building traditional log 'cabin' structures from raw material, as well as cord-type construction and timber framing. one of the designs was based around massive older timbers of differing lengths which the author found in an inoperative saw mill that he used for supporting the floor. the author did not want to waste any part of the timbers, so the house ended up being far from square, kind of a trapazoid, as was aparent from the changing slope of the roof. the other design that stands out in my memory was for a log sauna which used chinked bottles on the ends of the roof (i want to call it a gable, but i'm sure that is not right) for natural. i really hope that someone out there knows of this book, and any help with the title would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks,
peter

ChainsawGrandpa
06-23-2005, 08:26 PM
Just previewed, "Dare to Prepare" by Holly Deyo.
Haven't read the book but it appears to be very
insightful. Planning to buy it.

-Rick

ChainsawGrandpa
07-14-2005, 03:29 PM
A must have book is:
The Everyday Gourmet

Deals with making storage foods palatable.

Available through Stan & Holly Deyo.
You'll need to do a search to find them.

-Rick

tmhburley98
07-25-2005, 03:47 PM
This is the man :D :!: He has the most comprehensive, system of teaching and shares the simpliest methods of getting out of debt, of living debt free and of obtaining finacial wealth and peace!!
I have read all the other books and his method and passion is far superior!!
If you want to live debt free, if you want to change your life!
It is 100% guarenteed, you will start dumping debt, start saving and start accumlating wealth, immediately!!!!!!!!!
Daveramsey.com
daveramsey.com
daveramsey.com
daveramsey.com
He has changed my life! My family's lives! My childrens lives 8, 4 & 13mths AND HE WILL CHANGE YOUR lives!! REALLY!!
Share it with your children and everyone you know!!!
WHY? Because you can make a difference, wipe debt out of america!!!
GET MAD!!! Debt is not welcome in my home! We are givers, not lenders! We are free, not slaves! We are happy, not worried! We are the living and we can laugh in the face of storms! Because we are prepared for battle!

:twisted: Public enemy #1 DEBT :twisted:

8) Finaical Peace by dave ramsey 8)

GET IT, live it and breathe again, live life, outrageously. . . .debt free!!!!!!

scratchy
08-29-2005, 07:46 AM
One of my favorites is Howard Zinn's "Peoples History of the United States". It is said that history is written by the winners. This is the rest of the story.

edgelore
05-10-2006, 04:44 AM
So this thread has been quiet for a while, but I just found it - much to my demise :shock: - I now have an exponentially mushroomed reading list!

I posted this in the member's forum, but thought I'd also copy/paste it here since it seemed to fit well in this virtual library.

I just picked up this awesome book called Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales. It focuses on how people react in extreme / disaster / survival situations, but the information is useful for any stressful or intense circumstance. It really digs into how the brain works, the psychology of survival, the reasons even intelligent people and "experts" some times make stupid decisions that lead to grave consequences, the characteristics common to those who survive extreme scenarios, etc.

It is actually teaching me a ton; giving me new ideas on how to think about safety in any situation - whether I'm building or camping or 4 wheeling or whatever. I highly recommend it ??? especially if you like to pursue risky recreation (skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, Log Home building anything). I can also see how it would be invaluable information for any self-reliant individual.

Mark OBrien
05-15-2006, 04:04 PM
I just got "Dare to Prepare" by Stan and Holly Deyo. It has a wealth of information for a great many aspects of our lives. I've been referring to it almost daily because of the knowledge it imparts.

hemlock77
06-01-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's a book that is free on line. It's also usually available in paperback.
http://www.mcwilliams.com/books/books/aint/Ive been reading online book, found it hard to walk away from computer

greenthumb
10-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Since most of us are trying to live as cheaply as possible while building(and beyond)... why not get the best deals on your books? If the library doesn't have it or can't/won't get it, try this site for comparisons on new and used booksellers:

www.bestbookbuys.com

greenthumb
10-26-2006, 06:45 AM
Another great book is 'Pocket Ref' by Thomas J. Glover. This book is full of facts, formulas, charts, tables, etc. on just about anything you can imagine. I actually take it with me while travelling some times, its small enough to carry around, and I don't get tired of reading it very quickly. :D

Glover has authored and co-authored several other reference books that look interesting as well.

dbtoo
10-26-2006, 07:13 AM
Here's a good reference:
Haggai 1:8 (New International Version) - Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build the house, so that I may take pleasure in it and be honored," says the LORD

AndrewHenry
11-14-2006, 09:59 AM
This is a dangerous thread for me because I'm completely addicted to books. Here are some good ones:

Cabins: A Guide to Building Your Own Nature Retreat by David and Jeanie Stiles.
It made cabin building seem very accessible to me (I have no construction experience at all). They briefly cover a wide variety of topics, including different styles of cabin-building, simple cabin designs, building own log furniture, and???my favorite???building your own windows. And more. Not in-depth, but a great place for ideas.

The Cabin by David Mulfinger and Susan E. Davis.
Photos and descriptions of cabins

KeithMN
11-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Steve and Ellsworth know what they're doing. That's why I didn't show up with any preconceived notions, ideas or plans. If you already have it in your head how you want to do it, you will find it difficult. No, their way isn't the only way but, in my opinion, it is the best way. It's efficient, cost prohibitive and the most affordable way. When you're done with their methods, you'll have a solid log home. The "worst" part of it is that you'll have friends asking you to build one for them. :)

Proverbs 23:12 "Apply your heart to instruction and your ears to words of knowledge."

Isn't that why we all took the class to begin with?

Vern Street
05-04-2007, 03:40 PM
I'll revive this old thread and tell you about a book that we just discovered. It is called Making Room - Finding Space in Unexpected Places by Wendy A. Jordan Published by Taunton Press, copyright 2007

"Making Room" shows every homeowner how to discover hidden spaces in every room in the house. Shares more than 100 clever ways to find new living space in the most unexpected places.

It has some great ideas, and many of them would be very easy and inexpensive to incorporate into our plans! I found it on Amazon for $6.00 - brand new. Retail is $19.95. I just got it today, but can hardly put it down.

Sara Street

GT.
05-30-2007, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have the book "Mortgage Free:Radical Strategies for Home Ownership" by Rob Roy ?
Is it worth to buy ?

manoka
01-23-2008, 02:02 AM
Hello,

I would like to build a vertical log cabin with round logs sawn lengthwise through the middle in two equal halves and then overlapping them. With some airtight insulation between, this seems to be a more straightforward job, the entire log is utilized and it avoids the checking of the logs, if the pith is removed.
Does anybody know a book about this particular building type, and does anybody know the book "The Craft of Modular Post & Beam: Building Log & Timber Homes Affordably" by James Mitchell, and whether the vertical log construction is described there?
Also, I am looking for some how-to step by step practical detailed information about the construction of a basement as a cool dry food storage and root cellar.

Thanks
manoka

pdthct
03-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Anyone read Helen and Scott Nearing?

Living the Good Life
Continuing the Good Life

Their writings discuss their move from NYC during the depression to New England to forge a rural, sustainable lifestyle, first in Vermont, then Maine.