PDA

View Full Version : Introduce yourself

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Steve
01-09-2005, 06:03 PM
Howdy all!

Welcome to the new forums... how about posting a note in this thread so we can get to know each other?

For those who don't know me, I'm instructor Steve with the Association. ;)

honestdragon
01-09-2005, 06:09 PM
Hey Steve!

SohnHwa and I are working on our model and we hope to attend the meeting in February with it.

Hello to everyone else out there. I'm sure this and the other forums will be a great resource. Our thanks to those who had a hand in its creation.

kelley
01-09-2005, 06:23 PM
Hi! :D

My name is Kelley (obviously) and I took the class in May of 2002. I don't live in or around Washington, so I haven't been able to make it to any of the meetings. I hope to someday, though.

I look forward to reading about everyone's plans and hope to get back into planning for my home soon!

I agree... thanks to those who are providing us with this place to congregate!

switherow
01-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Hello!

My name is Scott. I attended the class this Past December ('04) and am currently looking for land and gathering tools. Hope to be building in less than a year.

Look forward to meeting people and using this site to share ideas, lessons, etc.

jgunn5066
01-09-2005, 06:54 PM
Hey all, and Hey Steve -

My name is Jeff Gunn, I live in New Hampshire and I took the class with Skip and Steve in November of 2003. I'm in the process of looking for land - trying to find something suitable for building, with a bit of privacy, but cheap enough that I can pay cash for. I'd like to build my first cabin out of pocket, no more loans!

Thanks for setting up the forums, this was an excellent idea.

-Jeff in NH (2 Fs and 2 Ns, Skip, if you're reading this :D )

rocklock
01-09-2005, 08:43 PM
Introduction;
My son and I took the class in May of 04. It changed my way of thinking about what I will be doing for the next five years... I will be retiring next Friday, building at least one log home on Camano Island, Wash.

I have a ton of questions being that I have not lived around serious trees for a long time. I don't have a clue about "Clearing" land. But I am not afraid of work... I figure if my ancestors could do it - I can.

It will be an adventure of a life time...

Rocklock - builder of fine flintlocks and soon at least one log home.

01-09-2005, 09:20 PM
Greetings to all from the deep South!

Dags, my girlfriend, and I took the class with Skip in November of 2003. I have some land here in Cajun Country and plan to build a small Village of loghomes (cabins) and one large loghome facility. My plan is to use these as not only a residence but as a bed & breakfast village since we have so many visitors to this area.

I have one model built and I think I've located a source of logs. A friend in Mississippi seems to think he can help me get pine trees from there. Has anyone had any experience with pine?

All the best to everyone....

Ed

Steve
01-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Dags, my girlfriend

Heya Ed!

How's my favorite weatherman-slash-stand-up-comedian? I remember you and Dags like I remember my own name. ;)

Please be patient with us while will build up the forums here. It takes a while for enough folks to sign up and start posting. ;)

I'm shocked at how many of the folks that have posted here, whom I actually remember personally. I hope we can build a friendly, strong community -- both for members of the association and others who are thinking of building a log home.

-Steve

01-10-2005, 01:59 AM
I took the class this past summer, July '04. I'm thrilled to see the forums up and running. I'm sure they will provide an additional level of interaction and mutual benefit among members. Thanks to the crew for doing the work to get them all set up!

I'm currently living in Belgium, but will be returning to the States in a few months. Initially, I'll be in the San Francisco bay area for about 6-9 months. Then I plan to buy land in Pennsylvania and begin my log home project in earnest.

And by the way, I'd be most interested in contributing labor on another student's project in order to get some hands-on experience. I anticipate that I'll be available to pitch in sometime late this summer or fall. Keep me in mind if you'll be building at that time!

cheers,

Kate

mbolin
01-10-2005, 03:41 AM
My name is Mark and I attended the class in December '04. Currently looking for logs in Alabama. Looking forward to using the forum.

jeffgeddes
01-10-2005, 05:41 AM
Hi All!
My name is Jeff Geddes and I took the course in February, 2004. Been looking for some suitable land on the east coast of Canada to build, but haven't found anything suitable yet (price is a factor of course!) Really glad to see these forums, will be a great way to keep in touch with everyone and gain some valuable info too !! Thanks to everyone at the Log Home Builders Association for getting this going !

01-10-2005, 06:26 AM
Hey My name is Chad Burum. I took the class in July 2004. Icurrently live in Oklahoma City with my wife and our two boys. We plan to relocated to Bend, OR in May or June and start building our home.

PickleFt
01-10-2005, 06:42 AM
My husband, Mike, and I took the course in November 2004. Since we've gotten home, we've been looking for land. A big, big project to find suitable, affordable land on the Southern New England coast where all our family is. May take us a couple of years just to buy the land!

In the meantime, we've started collecting tools and items for our home. Picked up a brand new, never-been-used, Kohler bathroom sink the other day for FREE! Love deals like that. Already have a few doors and windows plus everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - for a new kitchen except the cabinets, which Mike is planning on building himself. We had planned on doing some extensive remodeling on the home we're in a couple of years ago but plans changed. So now we're going to just keep everything for the new place. The things we bought, we bought at greatly reduced discount prices....I'm known for being quite a bargain hunter. :)

Very happy that you've started these forums. It will be so helpful to be able to stay connected with other builders. I learned the hardway that joining a regular, log home email list isn't the answer. They all seem to think we're nuts for wanting to build this way - and do it with no mortgage. Their loss.

Gloria

kevjay
01-10-2005, 07:28 AM
My wife and I attended the December 04 class and sat up front - remember- we harassed, interupted, joked, jibed, prodded, poked and just generally were a nuisance to you and ellsworth! Aw that's an exaggeration.
We thoroughly enjoyed the class tho and are glad to see the forums. Especially the Alternative building forum inasmuch as we are 98.375% sure we're going to go with Cordwood Masonry construction for our home.
We already have land, and are going to build our pumphouse using this method as a primer as soon as the weather dries and we can gather up all the materials.
We sifted and thought and debated and talked and kicked it around for hundreds of hours and Cordwood beat out the Butt and Pass log home, at least for us, hands down.
We look forward to using the forums and are grateful for the opportunity. Keep up the good work!
Kevin and Terry.

01-10-2005, 07:35 AM
I name is Al Abrams and I took the Class in May of 04 in Massachussets. I thought taking the class would persuade me not to Build a Log Home. That has not worked so far. I thought sanity would prevail and I would sign up for a
Dowell House and pay by the month for others to have all the fun and make money to boot.

There appears to be a process that starts with the desire for a log home. Getting information. Finding Log Home Builder's Association and taking the class. The two critical stages after that appear to be Land and Logs. The rest appears to fall into place with effort as the balance of the items are commonly available by some means. Some where is this process the conventional view of things is simply lost.

Regards,
Al

GrafikFeat
01-10-2005, 08:05 AM
Greetings Fellow Log Lizards!
My name is Jim and I was baptized in Logs during the December class.

I'm stoked to get started but alas I'm shopping land and supplies. If I find something I feel will be of use to you fellow builders I'll post it here. I'm in Seattle so most things will be local. Unless of course its a link.

I'm looking for land commutable to Seattle NOT in King County. Snohomish or Kitsap preferred.

Thats it for now! I'm rambling... A tip of the Cap to you guys who put this forum together! Great Job!
All the best, Jim

edroy
01-10-2005, 09:04 AM
[quote="ed roy"]Dags, my girlfriend

"...Heya Ed!

How's my favorite weatherman-slash-stand-up-comedian? I remember you and Dags like I remember my own name. ;)...."

Hi Steve... and we remember you too and how welcome you and Skip made us feel!

I would really like to head back there just for a visit... Hey maybe you'd enjoy some Cajun cookin' like a chicken & sausage Gumbo or a crawfish etouffe! turns out... besides being a great eater... I'm quiet a cook also...!

A big Hello from Dags.. and from me.!

Ed

hawkiye
01-10-2005, 09:58 AM
Howdy Folks

My name is Blayne Sukut. I took the course back in February of last year with Steve as instructor. Glad to see the forums and looking forward to getting to know folks.

We're still working on gathering things we need to build. We rearranged our finances so we could afford some land this year etc.

Steve I have really appreciated the news letters and have been meaning to email you and thank you but have just been busy and never got around to it till now. You know how it goes :D

That article from the guy who made his own blocks from snatch blocks was great I love that kind of stuff and will probably be doing similar since I haven't been able to find any older blocks and being frugal don't want to pay an arm and a leg for new ones ;)

Blayne

russ
01-10-2005, 11:49 AM
Hi everyone,

My name is Russ Armstrong from Edmonton Alberta, I took Skip's class in
march of 2003 and I am currently looking for just the right piece of property in the Edmonton area to build on.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else in this neck of the woods
who has taken the class and or built using Skip's method.

Just wanted to say hi to all the like minded log home folks out there, and I look forward to participating in this forum.

God Bless,

Russ

David C.
01-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Hi,

My name is David and will be attending the seminar this Saturday. I am really looking forward to it. I am from Billings, MT.

JeffandSara
01-10-2005, 12:52 PM
Hello, all--

Gosh I feel like an oldster.... My husband Jeff and I attended Skip's seminar back in 2000 (Jeff went twice, and I went once). And I remember the second night talking about someday having a forum for Log Home Builders Association. We're so GLAD it's finally been made a reality.

We live in southern California and are inching our way toward the final inspection for our Skip-style log house. A long adventure, but a fabulous one!!!!!! :D

Looking forward to this chance to network with other Skip grads; we have stumbled on to a half dozen or so in other log house forums over the years.

Take care everyone, and work safely.

Sara

holly
01-10-2005, 01:47 PM
Glad to see the forums up. I hope all is well you folks. I am glad to hear that Skip is ok. I took the class in May '04 and really enjoyed learning about log homes. I know enough to be dangerous!!! Still looking for the right piece of property. Take care everybody!!!

David Lloyd Wilson
01-10-2005, 07:20 PM
:D Hi Folks, I'm David Wilson, and I took my log home course 11/04 (has anyone seen the British guys from class?;I miss them, and I still want to see/hear The Hollies perform in England!). I am very interested in getting some field/work experience!

switherow
01-10-2005, 10:41 PM
David C - I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

Just curious, do you listen to the radio much in Billings? I've got a friend who just moved there and is a DJ. Used to go by Kyle McCoy, not sure if that's still his radio name, though.

Anyhow, enjoy!!!

flcowgirl
01-11-2005, 07:09 AM
Hidy Ya'll !

I attended class last month (Dec '04). I am currently looking for land and plan to build later this year. I bought the plans that were offered by the association and they're awesome! I live in the small town of Micanopy which is near Gainesville Florida, home of the Gators.

:arrow: Jennifer

woodrh
01-11-2005, 11:08 AM
I'm Rich Wood from Southlake, Texas. My wife Joy & I took the course in October, 04. We are making an offer on 10 acres today west of Fort Worth...hope it goes through as I'm ready to get started...been collecting tools, we have a great flea market here in my area and have been able to pick up lots of stuff, but logging tools are hard to come by...any body finding the "log carriers" anywhere? Also, log dogs are not easy to locate either...I guess I could bend & pound out some rebar...Thanks for putting this together guys!

rteeter
01-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Hello to the gang!

Rob Teeter here, I took Skips class about 5 years ago maybe longer.
I have a model built based upon 40' log lengths which I believe is a standard truck length without a special permit.

I live in Everett and have been to the Monroe ranch several times.
I am slowly getting my tools together. My goal is to have a log house built before I retire.

Great job on the Forums!

Rob

David C.
01-11-2005, 03:43 PM
switherow,

I wake up to the radio every morning. Do you know what station or type of music? I listen to about all of them.

I am very excited to go to the class, I think it will be a great time.

cherylgraham
01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
greetings all!
i attended the march '04 class & i was quite impressed. i've been thinking about building for a long time. i currently have property on camano island (washington). i'm hoping to start with a small building next summer then on to a house. i'm willing to help anyone in the area!
cheryl
edmonds, wa

Reb
01-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Hey... I'm Rebecca, living in Raleigh NC. My husband Mark and I attended the class back in March '03, and we're gearing up to build our home in October. We're also the ones selling the property in Northern Maine that's been listed in the newsletter. :)

If Mark gets around to signing up for the forum, his name will likely have "kakarot" it in, since he's a big Dragonball Z fan. So, you'll know which Mark he is, since there seem to be 2 or 3 already.

Oh, and Mark and I have the distinction of being so young and broke when we attended Skip's class that we actually slept in our rented car behind KFC in Monroe, the weekend of the seminar.

So, if we can build a house, anyone can! 8)

seriousvol
01-13-2005, 04:43 PM
my name is marvin,attended june'04,currently waiting for my logs to be delivered.

JeffandSara
01-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Congratulations, Marvin! How exciting!!!!! :D

Work safely!

Sara :D

woodrh
01-14-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm Rich Wood from Southlake, Texas. My wife Joy & I took the course in October, 04. We are making an offer on 10 acres today west of Fort Worth...hope it goes through as I'm ready to get started...been collecting tools, we have a great flea market here in my area and have been able to pick up lots of stuff, but logging tools are hard to come by...any body finding the "log carriers" anywhere? Also, log dogs are not easy to locate either...I guess I could bend & pound out some rebar...Thanks for putting this together guys!

Well, they accepted our offer on the 10 acres...so we'll be starting one here in Texas...as soon as we can find some logs....

mcdonis
01-14-2005, 10:48 AM
Hello my name is Shawn McDonie and I am in Ohio

I am planning on attending the seminar sometime soon (hopefully this year) And begining my journey in 2006 or 2007. Right now I am saving my money, and doing all the required homework to make sure I make the right decisions.

I grew up in Ironton Ohio in a very rural setting, and ever since I left about 12 years ago have been dreaming of returning to that kind of life. Me and my wife of 8 years are really excited at the possiblity of owning our dream home and gettting started.

dsexplores
01-14-2005, 02:48 PM
Hello, Daryl and Caryn here. Spring 2004 Grads.
We'll be building in Sandpoint Idaho if there are any others out there near the area. We'll be willing to help out with others when we can.
Currently, we are in Green Bay, but have our land, and most of the tools.

Sawyer
01-15-2005, 07:09 PM
Howdy to all the Log Home building Folks out there!!!

Jim Webb here, class of January 2004. I am from Fort Worth, Texas and now live in Flagstaff, Arizona. Like many of you, I am in the process of buying tools and looking for land. I know of two other members in Arizona. If there are any other members in this neck of the woods drop me line. We can talk shop and try to get a work crew together. Thanks to the forum staff. Your forums are crafted like a well built log home. By the way is there anyway that we could have an online monthly meeting for those who cannot make it to Washington?

Keep all of the good info coming!!!
Your Friend,
Jim Webb

clairenj
01-16-2005, 05:25 AM
Hi Al! claire from Nj here. Took the class with you. What a great post! Especially the part about losing convention along the way.... We are in it. Hope to get the logs late February or March, then it's peel peel peel. They are paid for and sitting in New Hampshire. Need to save up $ again to start the next process, maybe by late July. Got held up this summer while our permits were reviewed by the Highlands Preservation Act so we only got the wet works done (well, septic, and basement). But we are living in the old cabin which will adjoin the new part. Hope to hear from you sometime.

kyle
01-16-2005, 07:35 PM
Hi all, Kyle from PA here. Took the class in March 2004 and have to say it was one of the best things I've ever done. I'd like to thank Steve, Ellsworth and everyone else at the association for making this forum possible. I think its a great idea.

Presently I have an agreement on 5 acres at the top of the mountains in Western PA pending the property percs come spring time. If all goes well i will begin construction no later than mid summer. I've been moving along with the collection of tools and have several options that i'm considering for my logs. My biggest dilemna at this time is whether or not i want a full walk out basement (property is sloped) which is highly desired in the northest US or a piered crawlspace.

If any one else from PA is on here i'd like to here from you.

Kyle

ClubMike
01-17-2005, 04:44 AM
I attended Skip's class several years ago, no I did not build yet, but I have my land and I spend lots of weekends there. I will most likely start to build in the next year. Is there anyone else around the midwest?

My land is in the Ozarks, south of Rolla, as far as I am concerned a really great area to hang out in.

Mike

woodrh
01-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Hey Clubmike, I'm down here in North Texas and struggling to find decent logs...have you found what you need?

NancyandRoy
01-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Nancy and I drove back from the seminar last night. Normally, our drive's together go something like this-- I drive, she sleeps. We left the ranch at about 9:00 and arrived back home (Portland, Or) at 12:00. Though she did nap for about a half hour, the rest of the time was spent talking about possibilities. Building a log home has always been my dream. Now, I believe it is her's also-- Thank you Ellsworth and Steve!!!!!!

We bought 20acres last year near Sandpoint, Idaho (Get in touch with us Green Bay!) and plan on to start in the Summer of 2006. We would both be interested in attending a building party--I will work for beer.

Roy

Mark
01-17-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi, my Name is Mark. I was shopping on-line for a cabin for my lot in central Oregon when I found Skips' site. I got so hooked on it I attended the class in Nov. 04. I was the old geezer up front. I thoroughly enjoyed it to the point that I want to build log houses and come out of retirement at 68 years old. Steve and Elsworth were too good. And now I have to go back to work. I hope to start building in May and am gathering materials and tools. This really exciting!!! :D Great idea these forums....Mark

daswafo
01-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi, my name is Dave and I attended Skip’s class in Nov ’03. I was searching the web for different log construction styles so that I could build a log shop out of a bunch of logs that I had lying around when I found Skip’s class. My original plan was to build my shop from raw logs but buy a kit for my house. After Skip’s class, I intend to build both the shop and house. I have the walls and RPSS up on the shop and have started planning for the house.

Logbear
01-21-2005, 07:06 PM
I'm Jim Dunn. I live in the area between Marysville and Granite Falls in Washington State. I took the class in 1982 when the class was held east of Redmond. My wife took the class around 1986. Then we bought 5 acres, built our log house together, and then got married in it. We now have 2 sons, ages 10 and 12.

JSanfilippo
01-21-2005, 09:36 PM
Hello,

I am Joe Sanfilippo and I attended the Jan. 15-16th 2005 course. We are going to get the plans started ASAP and possibly put in the supports this summer, and hopefully get our logs this Winter and build in the spring of 2006.

I live in Western NY in Jamestown.

fulenchek
01-24-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi everyone,

It's great to see the forum is up and going. Email me if you need free labor in the Seattle area.

-Jason

HDARTY
01-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Hello everyone,
Neat site! I am interested in sharing ideas on hand made and bandsawn log homes. I am located in Alabama, near Jasper. I recently sold my log cabin which I built from scratch a couple of years ago and am now planning a new one. I look forward to building it and will gladly share my experiences. :)
Thanks,
Hugh

mbolin
01-27-2005, 05:57 AM
Glad to see you here Hugh. I'm just a few miles from you in Cullman. I'm currently looking for someone who can supply some logs if you have any suggestions. Mark

HDARTY
01-27-2005, 03:58 PM
What kind of logs do you want? I am thinking about building mine from sawn 4x6 or 4x8 poplar. It is hard to come up with enough of the right size logs to make a cabin.
Hugh

Hillbilly
01-27-2005, 06:44 PM
Howdy,
My wife, Christy and I took Skip's class in March of 2003. We can't wait to get started building our log home! We have been gathering our tools for several years now. We are going to build (somewhere) when Christy is finished with graduate school.

We are interested in the modern homesteading movement and practice debt-free living.

islandr
01-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Hi-

I took the class in June 2004. I'm north of Seattle on Whidbey Island. I'm hoping to get my plans in the next month and hope to start building this summer if I can find standing dead or winter cut logs.

Glad to see this forum started! I was getting pretty tired of hearing all the negative stuff in other areas from the kit and Permachink people.

Dori

NordicPrincess
01-28-2005, 05:40 AM
Hi everyone,
I am working on a 5 year "plan" to make a life long dream come true.
I just purchased 7+ acres in the beautiful southern tier of New York state where I intend to retire early from the rat race and live the simple life in my very own log home.
With my hectic work schedule it is difficult to get away; but am planning on attending the seminar within the next year.
I am dreaming of a 3000s.f. home, but with the way I hate to clean, it will more likely be a 500s.f. cabin. :lol: Either way, it will be perfect.
Wishing each of you the realization of your dreams.

Woodman
01-28-2005, 04:18 PM
Welcome Scott & Susan,

I recently purchased 4 acres on the Washington side of the Columbia Gorge near Stevenson. If you need help with your search for land in Washington or Oregon, I can highly recommend a land specialist at http://www.acreage-raw-land.com/listings.htm. Paul Kaye was very helpful and had some great properties in Lewis and Pierce counties.

I ended up buying a parcel I found using the search feature at Windermere Real Estate's website.

mbolin
01-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Hdarty, we are looking for 50' pine logs.

GrafikFeat
02-10-2005, 09:33 AM
Welcome Scott & Susan,

I can highly recommend a land specialist at http://www.acreage-raw-land.com/listings.htm.

It seems this link went south... I get a 404 error...

Jim

Steve
02-10-2005, 09:41 AM
http://www.acreage-raw-land.com/listings.htm.

It seems this link went south... I get a 404 error...

Jim

You need to take the period off the end. The proper link is:

http://www.acreage-raw-land.com/listings.htm

Steve

cabinfever
02-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Hello all...Just bought 10 acres of land in Western SD. Been reading every book and looking up every possibility for the log cabin I want to build. Deciding now on 16'x16 cabin usin' 8" diameter logs...start building in May when classes get out for the summer. Would love to come out and take the class, but until that is possible hope to use the resources here to help me along the journey. Thanks for putting this website together!!

Wayne

GrafikFeat
02-18-2005, 07:12 AM
You need to take the period off the end. The proper link is:

http://www.acreage-raw-land.com/listings.htm

Steve

:shock:
Doh!

I new that...

Donny
02-21-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi everyone. I live in Dallas Texas and I'm building a 37 ft by 37 ft log house. I think I want it to be 2 stories and have a 3rd story loft but haven't decided for sure. I took the class I think in 1999 sometime and was taught by skip. I took it again I think sometime in 2003 and was taught by Skip. Ellseworth, you were there taking videos. I needed the refresher course because I wasn't paying much attention the first time.

Last weekend I had the piers poured. I built really nice forms and fastened them together really well. The only thing I messed up on were the square forms for the porch I made on 2 pieces of ply wood. Out of 30 about 4 busted loose and concrete poured out. fortunately it wasn't too much so I quickly shoveled it into some other forms.

Now I'm getting ready to buy some 25 year plantation pine tree logs. They will be 1 ft in diameter on the small end and much larger diameter on the big end. I talked to a logger lumber dealer 30 years in the business who told me I would have no problem getting these. They will be 45 ft long. I think I will need about 120 logs although I may be overshooting. I want some extra in case I mess up or don't like the shape of some of them.

The concrete pier foundation cost me $1,169 in concrete and $350 for the 150 ft reach concrete pump truck. I'm not sure how much I spent building the forms but I would say maybe $1,000 from all the 3/4 inch ply wood and brackets I used. I can reuse them for my brothers house he wants us to build after I'm done. So the foundation cost me $2,519 although I can reuse the piers. I accidentally forgot to put rebar in two of the piers but they aren't the corner ones so no biggie.

I'm excited to have the foundation done.

Thanks for reading and responding - Donny Eisenbach

http://photobucket.com/albums/y148/nightcomes/

JeffandSara
02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
Congratulations, Donny!!! :D

Sara

GrafikFeat
02-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for reading and responding - Donny Eisenbach

Blah Blah Blah...

Show us pictures!! :wink:

(congrats!)

Jim - Seattle, WA

Mark
02-21-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Al,

I know how that works, I was looking for a kit house on line for my lot in central Oregon. Then I found Skip's web site. Went to the class and now I have all the tools and am looking for a construction loan and logs :lol:

Donny
02-23-2005, 04:40 AM
I plan on showing some pictures but my friend took the pics of the concrete pouring and I have yet to get them and post them to the internet. I will be sure to post them once I have them.

- Donny

Phil Savoie
02-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Hello There,

Greetings from snowy Wales. And hello again to Ellsworth & Steve. I took you class in Sept '04 - Phil here, you remenber Steve aka Pig Vomit. Well I had to do some search'in but I finally found a picture of myself. Nice to log in.

Phil

grizz64
02-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Hi everyone,
I just signed up for the April, 05 class. I've been wanting to build a log home debt free for a couple of decades. Unfortunately I'm still not totally debt free yet.
I'm thinking about northern WI or the UP of MI for my location. Is anyone from those areas? Or the Chicago area?
Good luck to all and I hope to make some new friends along the way!

JeffandSara
02-26-2005, 07:38 AM
Hi, Grizz--

Welcome to the forum. I know there are at least two members from Michigan around here, but neither are U.P.

The class is GREAT! I remember how excited my husband and I were when we were getting close to our class date. :D We've not built debt-free (but we also live in California where everything costs a fortune :roll: :lol: ), but what you learn will at the VERY least have some great tools and skills for getting into a housing situation with much LESS debt than most other ways!

BTW, on our way home from visiting one of the Michigan members, we camped through the U.P. and Wisconsin a couple of days, and WOW, gorgeous country! Good luck to you!!!

judyzucati
03-12-2005, 05:38 AM
Hello from Bellingham, Washington. My name is Judy Zucati and I took Skip's class in the '80s. You can read about the house that Judy (et.al) built => http://www.technohippie.com/me/pix/country.html

somasoul
03-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Word. My name is Tim and I hail from the outskirts of Baltimore. Right now Baltimore is number one in Murders and STDs which all of us are very proud of, give us a blue ribbon!

Anyway, what was I saying? I'm thinking of Taking the class in April but my cash flow is a little tight. Most people say that the class changed their lives but not many people I have spoken with have actually built their house so I'm a little leary. I must admit I thought the site was a scam when I stumbled on it but after a bit of Googling I discovered something much, much different. It seems that everyone I have read about has had nothing but kind words about these people. Perhaps I shouldn't think the class expensive. I can get my money back (Everyone who has taken the class seems to trust these folks like family) if I dislike it; I s'pose $800 bucks ain't expensive compared to a thirty year mortgage.

Besides for that I enjoy going to church, playing drums in hardcore bands and spending time with my wife and two kids, Patrick and Delilah (I have a third child in utero). I also run my website, somasoul.net, which is about anarchy and christianity.

Have a blessed day!

judyzucati
03-21-2005, 05:38 PM
I'm Jim Dunn. I live in the area between Marysville and Granite Falls in Washington State. I took the class in 1982 when the class was held east of Redmond. My wife took the class around 1986. Then we bought 5 acres, built our log house together, and then got married in it. We now have 2 sons, ages 10 and 12.

Hello Jim,

My late husband and I took the class in 1983 (I believe) and built our house on east Novelty Hill just south of Duvall. The only time I've been in the "big house" was during a class tour, before it was finished. I'm sure the course was held at the Monroe campus but I also remember visiting the cabins in Redmond. Maybe. I'm old. Who knows what I remember?

But I sure remember how to build a log house, thanks to Skip and the LHBA!

Judy DeNeal-Zucati
Formerly from Duvall, currently in Whatcom County.

geordiesgirl22
03-23-2005, 03:25 PM
Hello fellow log builders, dreamers, and go getters...
I am attending the class this april (9th and 10th) and look forward to meeting everyone. I was wondering if I should attempt a model before the class or wait until the class if over. To be honest, I am not even sure how I would begin the model but figure I can read about one and the forum can help. I am from Virginia and I don't expect I will get out to many meetings... :) Great idea having the forum.
See you in April

JeffandSara
03-23-2005, 05:42 PM
Hello and welcome.

Don't waste your time on the model before.

Steve and Ellsworth will tell you all you need to know at the class, and THEN making the model can help you cement those ideas into your head. :D

Have fun!

Sara

walkrightin
03-26-2005, 08:34 PM
I live in the Panhandle of Texas right now, but my family will soon be moving to western Kentucky, the Land Between the Lakes region, where I will be working as a minister. My wife Kathleen and I would like to build a log house near the north shore of Lake Barkley. I attended Steve and Ellsworth's class in February 2005.

We have searched for a place to live in Lyon County, KY, for a few months now, but have not succeeded. Our options seemed to be either getting a mortgage that is considerably bigger than what we have now (don't want that at my age--early 50's) or buying a low-quality house. In searching for alternatives I came across this website. I liked the idea of building my own house and living debt-free.

We still have not found property or settled on a plan as to how and where we can live until ready to build.

These forums are really a great way for folks to help and encourage each other. Thanks to the administrators for making them available!

Steve Walker

loghomefun
12-07-2005, 06:59 PM
Hi Everyone :)

My name is Doug, I took the class back in July of '04. It was a real eye opener, and I'm still as excited today about building a log home as I was right after the class.

I'm still in the planning stage of the whole log home thing. Working on my game plan and getting all the logistics ironed out before I really get my log home project under way.

I recently emailed Steve with some log home questions and in his reply he told me about the Association's new forum, wow this place is cool! I'm really glad to see a resource like this, I've already used the search feature and found info in the members area that is going to really help me a lot.

I also just noticed the Lucky Dog Lodge. Wow what a beautiful place that is http://www.bozemancottage.com/Lucky_Dog_Lodge.htm
I might have to schedule a vacation to Montana next summer!

Wishing my fellow members the best on their log home journey :)

Doug

outsider56
12-08-2005, 08:37 AM
Hello,
My hame is Matt and I live in MN. I have 5 acres in WI. that are full of trees I am looking to build a log cabin that looks like it has been thare for a 100 years. I don't want it to look new. If any one wants to help please E-mail me. thank you, And I hope that I can talk Steve into comming to the mid-west and teach a class or two.

grannyk
02-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Hi everyone,
I just surfed on in to see what this is all about.
grannyk
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/heaven4333/grandmarockingANIMATION.gif

JeffandSara
02-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Welcome, GrannyK! (And good luck on the grand-baby-to-be!)

I'm not sure quite what you'd have in mind on the log/earth combo. But I'd think that might not be the way to improve insulation. A log's biggest enemy is the earth (and the bugs/fungus/spores/etc. that the earth holds.) Not sure where you're located or what sort of utility costs/issues you're facing. But our logs are pretty big, and we seem to stay quite warm in the winter and cool in the summer, even in a cool/cold winter- hot summer area.

Good luck to you in whatever's ahead.

slasher
02-13-2006, 12:25 PM
I have had the log home dream since a kid... I loved skips site and the idea of building the rustic crafted cabins... however, I dream of one akin to a Swiss Chalet...

I will attend an upcoming class (however, am unable to make it this March to prior commitments...) and we have a 5 yr plan to be in a log home.... and a lil homestead (5-10 acre mini farm..)

I also am interested in learning from all the collective minds what works and what doesn't... tips and planning... also using solar heating (radiant floor), geothermal, passive solar design, and high efficiency SIPS for roofing...

Just happy to be here and will go into lurk mode and maybe learn something :D

The_Truth
02-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Hello.
I will be taking the class soon. Would have this March but the pending sale of my house got in the way.

My oldest kid is a sophmore in high school so I am almost FREE :D (see signature). And my wife and I plan to build a log cabin on our 5 acres in Colorado mts. (already paid for) and travel in our 5th wheel as "workampers" and such.

I make pretty good money right now (though killing myself in the process), selling our house, live in the 5th wheel (to save a bunch of money to go toward the cabin and kid's education), and when the kid graduates....we are outta here!!!!

And that's The Truth. :mrgreen:

So I have got the land, I now need to do a "perk test" for the septic????? Is this the next step? Then need to make a drive and flat spot to build. My land is well treed but is 5 ac. enough to fell my own or is it even worth it? Plus, won't I have some trees down when they cut the drive?

Too much info I know.

DYork
02-14-2006, 07:53 PM
All depends on how closely spaced your trees are and the maturity/growth rate of them. If they were all planted or naturally germinated at about the same time, they will be mostly about the same diameter. Since you are in Texas, I'm guessing you have pines. In my case, 5 acres would produce enough logs to build the 4 walls for a 30 X 30 single story log house using logs all pretty much the same diameter--depending very much on which 5 acres I picked out to begin cutting from. But, I gotta say, it would be cutting it close, even in the most densely forested 5 acres. It would also depend how large your planned home will be, whether you intend to use dimensional lumber for rafters/joists, or if you intend to use logs for everything possible. All you can do is walk your property over, measuring and counting as you go.

I did read a photo included narrative on a web site regarding a build in Alaska on 5 acres, that produced enough logs for the house, but it was really a hodge podge diameter mix, and by their own admission, they were flat running out of useable trees toward the top of the cabin.

As far as "the next step" goes, it also depends on a few factors. County building codes work into it. Where I am going to build, home electric service will not be tied into the meter box on the service box until an appoved sewage system in installed.
I can get a line dropped for building purposes tho.

I look at the perc test this way. It's pretty much a needed thing at some point, whether it's required before building or not. I'd hate to go to all the work of building a home, only to find out a septic system wouldn't work right after I got the house finished. There are other options open besides a septic/lateral lines system, but they aren't as inexpensive--not that a septic system is really inexpensive nowdays. You can probably get an idea of your soil properties by asking your nearest neighbors what they are using. There are several websites as well that explain how to do your own perc test if you just want to put your mind at ease, but bear in mind your local code may require some gubment employee also do one eventually, if only to generate a few more bucks for the county's coffers.

And, you have to remember, that the soil can pass the perk test fine, but you may not be able to use a septic system due to other reasons, such as a shallow water table, or close proximity to a natural stream that feeds a water supply, such as a lake, and a host of other things that some counties have come up with.

Some places actually require the perk test be done before ANYTHING at all is done to the site. They want an absolutely pristine site to evaluate.
You might find some answers here (http://www.tceq.state.tx.us/compliance/compliance_support/regulatory/ossf/ossfpermits.html#permits0)

The_Truth
02-14-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. I live in Texas now :D but the land I am going to build on is on a mountain in Colorado :mrgreen: . I plan on taking the log class in late March/April and then going up to my land to see about this perc test. There aren't many neighbors around up there, but I have seen them and will stop and ask them about building requirements etc.

As far as trees, there is a mix of pin and aspen. Probably not enough to fell my own. That is why I can't wait to take the class to find out info on where to get trees at a great price. I was trying to check on trees in the burn area in Colorado. Any thoughts on that?

wood bug
02-15-2006, 07:22 AM
I used to live in Colorado, You could check with the forest service there about burn trees and or beetle kill trees, lots of state and fed forest to "shop" in. I would'nt use Aspen for my house just to soft in my opinoin, there is to many pines there anyway, and Aspen has an odor to me that is nasty. I do know depending on what county your in they have alot of reg's for building and that comes with additional cost to meet, I would get ahold of the county inspector and see if they have a building code breakdown or info sheet for their county.

novascroller
02-19-2006, 02:46 AM
good day

i've been a city dweller for some time now and its driving me nuts. i've been doing some digging around at the library for info on log homes and i'm going to have a lot of questions here. i lived in a log house for 5 years ( i was 12 when my brother and I helped my dad build it) or so when i was a kid and eventually like to have one again. this time an indoor toilet and some other indoor luxuries would be nice. there's no way i could talk the better half into moving to a log house like i was raised in! i'm located in nova scotia, canada and i'm an electronic technician by trade and a beginning woodworker who is starting to sell some scrollsawn pieces.

cheers,
graham

The_Truth
02-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Hello,

Do you plan on taking the log building class offered by Log Home Builders Association (runs this forum)? From what everyone that has says, you learn alot abou the DOs/DON'Ts about log home building.

BCarrierJones
02-21-2006, 07:58 AM
Hello all,

All I can say, Graham, is that you should take your other (better?) half to the course with you. When she sees the log home that Skip and his family built - believe me - she will be very interested in living in one.

The beauty of this system is that anyone with determination can do it. This is the best money I believe I have spent in my entire life, second only to my marriage license fee. I've just taken the class over the previous weekend and can't wait to start back on my plans (several changes to be made, as promised by the website). I only wish members meetings were held in other parts of the country for those of us who live near the east coast, for example (Hint Hint!) :D

dvb
02-22-2006, 05:58 AM
:D Carla and I took the class last weekend and are very exited about getting started. We have our land and and have already built a driveway last summer. Working with the planning department on permits is not too bad. We love to ride snowmachines, but are ready for the snow to melt so we can get started on the dirt work.
Dean & Carla

Steve Meek
02-22-2006, 12:20 PM
Just moved to Virginia, I have 15 ac. of trees, would love to help someone build their log home. Hope to in the near future take the class.
I live in the Williamsburg area.

BCarrierJones
02-22-2006, 06:24 PM
My husband and I are getting ready to move to Virginia (Hampton Roads area) for a new job I've just accepted. Do you have any advice on purchasing land in VA?

Vieno
02-28-2006, 08:23 AM
Hi ya'll,

I am so excited about this site!! I have already learned so much from everyone. Thanks.

I haven't taken the course yet but intend to in the future, although my route might be a little backwards as I will probably end up building a little cabin before I get the chance to attend. :oops:

I'm a city dweller at the moment but will be moving to British Columbia Canada at the end of May. Log building has caught my imagination. My parents live out there in a log home themselves (built by the previous owner) and when we all visit it's pretty tight. So they welcomed the idea of me coming up and building them a guesthouse. I can hardly wait.....although the next few months are essential for planning and learning for I have never done anything like this before. So far my plans are to build a 18ft by 24ft hewn log cabin out of poplar as that seems to be the tree that is most abundant in the area. Mind you at this creational stage changes will happen daily and any advice from you all is very much welcomed. One thing I am stumbling on right now is notches. Dovetail, half dovetail, butt and pass.....any reommendations?? Are dovetail and half dovetail as complicated as they sound?? Probably just takes doing a few to catch on...at least I'm hoping.

So that's my blurd and my little intro. I'm happy to be here and I hope everyone out there is having a beautiful day and dreaming up a storm, as I am, about logs and cabins.

Jessica.

workman43113
02-28-2006, 10:12 AM
Hi my name is Braden and I'm 23 from circleville, ohio. I hope to be going to the class in the end of march if everything works out alright I'am very excited.

kyle
02-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Welcome Jessica and Braden,

Jessica regarding your question on which type of log home construction; butt and pass is hands down the easiest and not to mention the strongest method.

Attend the class and they will explain exactly why and trust me, it makes a lot of sense!

Vieno
02-28-2006, 12:55 PM
Thanks Kyle,

I've only just started looking into the butt and pass method but it appealed to me because of the lack of intimidating (countless) notches. I wasn't aware that it was considered to be one of the strongest methods though. I'm going to have to read more on it.

I am also starting to think that taking the class before might be a better idea and if at all possible with my schedule I will fit it in.

Thanks for the tip.
Jess.

Dowadudda
03-02-2006, 05:02 PM
I recently signed on, joined up and will be attending the class at the end of March.

I am a refrigeration contractor, self employed from Canton, MI (suburban Detroit).

32 YO. Married. 1 boy 11, 1 girl 10.

Raised in WI, US Army 6 years, UA Journeymen Pipefitter, UA Contractor.

Love the concepts here. Love the energy. Dig the thoughts. Looking forward to becoming an "experienced log home builder" as the next 3 years pass by. Looking for the real deal, sitting back one day saying, I built it.

Lookout
03-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Hey I see a couple of people in my general area, Hdarty in Jasper Alabama
and Mbolin in Cullman Alabama. I'm not far from Mentone Alabama up on Lookout Mountain on the Georgia side. Love to see what you have come up with on a Cabin.

dudasmitty
03-12-2006, 06:11 AM
I attended the class this Febuary and had a great time and meet alot of neet people. I have purchased some land in Colorado and am planning on building an out building this year using the infromation learned in class.

For my job you can call me a garbage collector

gunner2pilot
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
Hello, all. I attended the class Feb 1st & 2nd, 2006. Had a great time and met great people. I have property in NE Washington and hope to build within 2 years - now shopping for tools. I enjoy the forums and plan to post more as I begin to build. Good luck to all. Ken Schell (gunner2pilot)

rustylhunt
03-30-2006, 04:03 PM
My husband and I attend the class Jan 2005. We have a lot in New Castle utah. We almost have our water hook-ups. We are getting our plans drawn up now. Excited to get to work.

eparks
04-07-2006, 05:49 PM
I just took the class in March '06 and was extremely impressed. As an engineer, I was a little skeptical but everything made sense. I am currently in process of gathering materials for a couple different projects. A small cabin in Western Wisconsin and a house in Waupun Wisconsin. You can't have enough projects you know. I am definately looking forward to the challenge. All my engineering buddies think I'm nuts but once they are kicked back having a brew in my new house, they might have to eat their words.

I had been trying to get to this class for the past 3 1/2 years. I am glad I finally got the moons to line up and get there. It was great. :D

Eric Parks
Waupun, WI

fhe
04-23-2006, 09:13 AM
Hi. My name is Frank and I live in Central Alberta, Canada and I have always desired an ownership in a log home. I will start small by attempting to build 3 log playhouses for my Grandchildren. Great to meet you all and look forward to your advice and info.

dvb
05-02-2006, 05:42 AM
My wife and I attended class in February 2006. We already owned the land and have been working for a year to put in a driveway and dirt work for the house area. We were looking at Kits and I just kept telling my self there had to be a better way. I have built a couple of frame buildings and the kits seemed to be very expensive, not to mention that most of them look like log siding. After the class we decided this was the way for us. We have our plans, Engineering is done, going after permits soon. We want to start as soon as the snow is off later this month. Take the class you won't be sorry.
Dean & Carla

brianj42
05-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Hi All

How does one start, from the beginning is probably best.

We are Brian and Michelle Jones, we are a British couple living, in all places, Bulgaria in Eastern Europe. We have chosen Bulgaria as it is a beautiful country and is about 85% forests. To this, we have bought a lovely piece of land overlooking a river and forest and was intending to build a standard Bulgarian house on it, that was until we discovered this website. Fantastic ! Pioneering spirits do live on, and we have both fallen in love with the idea of building our own log home, in particular we are head over heels with Jim and Pauline Dales home, in fact THIS IS the home we now fully intend to build. I have had a dream of the perfect log house, including the large bath in the window, and this house fits my exact dream of the perfect home.

Unfortunately as we are at least 10,000 miles from Washington, this does pose a slight logistical problem. This problem we could possibly overcome, and everything I have read about the course shows that it would be beneficial to us. But, until then I have 2 requests to get us going.

Q: Is there a Log Home Bible (To coin a phrase), every hobby, project , seems to have a book that all turn to to get answers. Does the world of building my own log home have such a book ?

Q2: Is it possible to get details on Jim and Paulines home, I would love to recreate this in the mountains of Bulgaria.

I'll go now, but any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Best Regards to all Pioneers

Brian and Michelle Jones
Bulgaria

MistyAndRuss
05-19-2006, 05:18 AM
This is Misty & Russ Hornsby. We just got married April 22nd 2006. I'm from Michigan live there most of my life. Moved to Florida where Russ & I met. Russ is from Florida but lived in Indiana for a while. Neither of us like Florida to live. The cost of living has gotten way out of control and the pay is horrible. Both of us like small town or country living and love the look of the log cabins. We stayed in cabins on our honeymoon and even though they were built bad we still couldn't wait to get started with our home.Thats when we almost made a huge mistake and looked at a kit from Barna Log Homes. I redid one of their plans and the price changed and went up and up and up until the price was over double what was listed. The contract is sitting on the desk right in front of me waiting on us to sign.I did some log home searches and found this site. So we are taking the class before we do anything. I have never built more than a manger for our nativity seen in our front yard. Russ is fairly handy and can pretty much do what ever he puts his mind to. We have both spent a fews years of our working lives at Lowes & other home improvment stores. We have done our own floors and other basic improvments but nothing near building a house, so wish us luck. If this class goes well we will start as soon as we get the land.
So there it is for now :lol:

hemlock77
06-01-2006, 05:03 AM
Hi my name is Stu, I 'm from Connecticut, I took the class in May 04 that was held in Mass. at the Whitecomb Summit. So far I have foundation in, have most of my doors and windows. Have most tools needed. Currently waiting on log delivery.

lost1
06-04-2006, 05:16 AM
Hi, presently building a home (full scribed), have a lot of questions. Great to know that you are there to help.

Charlene Teglia
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Hi, my husband and I plan to attend one of the classes in the near future. We've been looking at various options for buying land and building, and found the Log Home Builders website. Aha, this is it! :D What a great resource. Looking forward to learning more and meeting some of the log home builders in the area. (We're in Silverdale, Washington)

rgdula
06-15-2006, 04:13 AM
Hello all,
I went to the 10-11 June class. Very interesting and informative. I will be buying some land by the end of the month. Once you start looking for trees, it seems that all types of oppurtunities come up. I am in Huntsville, AL. If there are any members in the area, lets get together.

dedmons
06-19-2006, 01:01 AM
Hello all,

My name's Dale and my wife is Cathy. We're in the Seattle area and are considering attending the weekend class soon. We'll likely bring a friend whom we've talked into helping us here and there. We have 50 acres east of Tonasket, Washingtion that we're trying to sell (it has limited timber, but not enough to build with), so we can finance buying a lot and building a log home on it. (Has anybody built in a city?)

I'm 43, my wife's 62, and our friend is 65.

Hopefully I'll be able to secure a lot soon. There is a potential location within 1/2 block of where my apartment is and I'm working on splitting off two pieces to create a new lot. It would be perfect to be able to walk to my building site from my apartment, but, while I haven't gotten a no from either party yet, I haven't gotten a yes either. And then there are all of the remaining hurdles: price, escrow, easements, permits, cash, site prep,....

Any suggests of any kind will be most welcome--well, almost any. :?

Thanks for the forum.

Sincerely,

Dale E.Edmons

jmj138
06-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Hi everybody,

I attended the June 10-11, 2006 class and enjoyed every minute...even walking the monster hill to get to Skip's house! :shock:

The class is definitely worth the money and in my opinion is actually worth MUCH more. I am looking for land in the SE Michigan area and plan on building using Skip's techniques over the next year or so. I'm currently doing my homework on the local building codes/restrictions, etc. and trying to secure inexpensve building materials along the way.

If anybody is from the Michigan area drop me a line.

Al

PugMeister
06-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Hi everyone,
I would like to introduce myself. I have been a member for a few weeks but not posted. I live in Georgia & hope to build in 3 years, when I retire. I have signed up for the Sept class.So this comes at a good time for me. I have 3 years to plan & get ready. See ya'll there. Jim

dave maiden
07-04-2006, 07:06 AM
Hey Steve! This is Dave Maiden. My son, Josh, and I took the class June 10, 11, of 2006. My son's comment is that the instructors are cool! I live in Olympia WA, the state capital, and place where our tax dollars come to give their lives. I'm looking for property to build on, and will be giving updates as we progress in building our first butt and pass log home. The class was inspirational, and very informative. Also a healthy alternative to sitting at home, (that driveway is long, and steep!)

thanks for the hello,

dave maiden

Phil_from_UK
07-13-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi

My name is Phil, born and currently living in England. Hoping to buy some land and build a Log Home (using the techniques taught) in Quebec Canada.

Did the 28-29th June 2006 course - Great. Every time I though something must be tough or complex, the guys had a easy trick. Informative and inspiring !.

After a very brief visit to Quebec, immediatly after the course, I've hopefully found the land, but didn't have much success confirming that logs of suitable diameter and length could be sourced there. May have to ship from BC. All of the kit log/dowel suppliers seem to supply BC wood.

Now back on the internet, may be able to find some Quebec logs.

Welcome anyone get in touch with insights about building in Quebec or from people builidng in GB.

Going to volunteer free labour to anyone doing a build as I'd like to get the hands on experience, even if I have to buy a cheap flight somewhere, but it'd need to be fulltime & accomodation & sustenance provided.

All the best
Phil

mlr1968
08-21-2006, 02:16 PM
Hello, I am Michael from Lexington Tn, the supposedly garden state of the nation :lol: Attended the Class in March of 2006, great investement and lot's of good people on this fourm. Haven't built yet, finishing model still looking for land, may have a snag with my job though, will know in a few more days. But not worries if push comes to shove I can move to a new location, can any one say Alaska or perhaps Wyoming :!:

Steve Wolfe
08-21-2006, 04:18 PM
I've made a few postings but have not yet introduce ourselves. My name is Steve and my wife's name is Sandy. We are definitely building a log home. I will be taking the Sept. 9-10 class next month. Last year we purchased 15 acres, (90% wooded) in the endless mountain region of Susquehanna County, PA. Hopefully we can come up with a design that will work with the type and size of trees we have.

Where are we at now? We still have to get electric and septic in but we???ve made progress. We have secured the necessary easements for pole placement on neighboring properties, the well is dug, (580 feet) the perc test is complete, the clearing is ready, (about an acre) and the old motor home is parked at the far end. We have started hauling logs up to the clearing with my 30 year old Bronco and a home made tree dolly. We have a long way to go and a lot to look forward to, especially the class.

Take care,
Steve

pepper
08-22-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm Pepper from Olalla. I ran across this site a while back and haven't taken the time to check out the forums. I got an e-mail cancelling me for lack of participation, so I figure I'd best get on with it and introduce myself.

I'm a mother of many. I just got off of a 8 month unemployed stint and didn't have the money for the june course. My old man's been in school for the last 3 years retraining for the work force as he has a disability that prevents him from earning his money from his back anymore.

I'm back to work and just got my first paycheck in the nick of time to keep the lights and phone on:) Once the daily neccassities are all caught up, my first major purchase will be paying for this class.

My credit is a bit in shambles, but nothing that 6 months of religious budgeting won't cure. I just got a VA certificate for a down payment and am hoping to have everything in order to start building a place by this time next year. I've found some beautiful lots in the middle of no where and gotten a job via internet so I can live anyplace. I've wanted to live in a log cabin since I was 4 years old and I'm totally estactic that I can actually learn to build it myself!

I have a former student who lives right up the road from me and his place is for sale and it's magnificient! I have no doubts that this course will pay for itself 10 fold and can't wait to take it!

kyle
08-22-2006, 09:19 AM
Welcome Pepper.

Do you know if the log home for sale by a former student is listed with a realtor? If so can you post their link or website info.

Thanks!

pepper
08-22-2006, 11:40 AM
I actually found the house from this site. I was thrilled to be able to show the old man what a great investment the course was and only had to drag him 6 blocks:)

Woman In A Shoe
08-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I took the class in July '04 (anyone else in this class, please reply!). I was a widow with seven kids and fell in love with a great guy and we were going to build a butt and pass log home. We bought the property and were preparing it for a homesite. We got married on June 04, 2005 and, unfortunately, he was killed in a head-on train wreck five weeks later. After being twice-widowed in a two and a half year time period, it's taken me a while to pick up the pieces and resolve to move forward. Didn't mean to be depressing, just wanted to give a little background and explain where I'm at. Being on this website and forum helps rekindle the spark! I'd love to hear from anyone near the Central, MS area that would like to share experience or even help! Looking forward to getting started!

Genny (a.k.a., Woman In A Shoe!)
Kosciusko, MS (about an hour and a half north of Jackson)

peakread
08-27-2006, 12:35 PM
Just found this forum, while looking for cabin plans. I`m live SW Florida, spend time in Glasgow KY, and Galax Va, seen a great log cabin on the river in Galax, now I want one, maby KY. Retired Air Force, like to travel.

ecaysis
09-04-2006, 08:40 PM
Hey. My husband and I took the class in May 2006. We have been making plans and dreaming ever since we got married (all of 3 years ;). We have decided that it is time. We live in Calgary and our townhouse has doubled in value, so we figure it is a good time to buy and acreage, sell our townhouse, and start building. Deffinately scary. We're quite young, and no kids yet, so we want to take this opportunity while we can, and have a wonderful house, debt free lifestyle, and beautiful place to raise our children. Besides, I'm sick of the office!

emm
09-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Hi Everyone!
I am Elisha.
I just signed up for the Oct 7&8 class :D I am so excited. I found the associations website a few months ago and finally have the time to go.
I am located in skagit county.
See you all in the members section soon :)

rharmaning
09-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Hey all!
Happened upon the Association's site recently while doing some cabin research and have been trying to absorb all I can from the great articles here. Feel like I've learned so much already. Hope to make classes next year if not sooner!

Was surpised and quite pleased to learn the class is right down the roadfrom me and even more pleasantly surprised to see so many successfull student projects in my own back yard!

Looking forward to gleaning more wisdom from everyone.

Cheers!
- Ryan

KeithMN
09-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Hey everyone, I'm Keith.

The boards don't look too busy lately but I'm chiming in anyway.

Currently living in Minneapolis and intend to register for the November 11-12 classes tomorrow sometime.

My goal is to follow Skip's method completely and, hopefully, move myself to Washington before too long. I'm almost debt free and intend to stay that way. Give me a cabin with a huge stone fireplace, a writing desk and some good neighbors and I'm set!

Larry Gessner
09-29-2006, 03:51 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Larry Gessner and I haven't signed up for a class yet but that will happen in good time. I just joined yesterday and I live in the wonderfull state of ND. Trees would be nice to have here but I'll make do with importing for now. I hope I can be accepted here. I have a log home business in ND. I always wanted to handcraft a log home. I have the utmost respect for those of you who have learned this craft. It is an artform all in it's own. I respect all forms of log building and as I read posts I hope to be anble to converse with all of you and share my love of log homes as well. :D

greenthumb
10-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey, my name is Andy. My wife, Christal, and I took the Oct. 7/8 '06 class and are getting ready to build on our property in middle GA. We hope to get things going on the foundation and structure this winter, as we already have most of the tools and even some of the materials already at hand.

A special thanks to Ellsworth and Steve for a great class and providing the forums and continual tech support we'll need. :D

If anyone in GA or east AL needs help on their house, let me know.

mhiles
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
I'm Mike. My wife and I are from the Cincinnati area. We're looking to build in the SE Indiana area soon. We're looking for suitable acreage and trying to get started. We've lurked the site for some time now, and have spent the past several months trying to learn as much as we can about timber construction.

Looking forwared to taking the class someday soon.

AndrewHenry
11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I'm Carey from SLC, Utah. I'm hoping to take the class this winter. I've been lurking arounding this site for a year or two and trying to convince my family to build with me. A few days ago one of my brothers said he's buying land this spring for a family cabin. Woo-hoo! Hope it all works out....

My dream is to build a cabin (for me) on Whidbey Island or thereabouts. An aunt just bought a house there, and I'm totally in love with the whole area.

Any other single women out there building or hoping to build?

PS ??? My username comes from the children's book Andrew Henry's Meadow. It'd be great fun to build all those little houses.

desdawg
11-24-2006, 04:05 AM
Howdy. I have 10 acres of treed property in northern Yavapai County AZ and I am going to do something, I just don't know for sure what yet. In the meantime I have a little park model mobile home, solar panels, inverter, and a few other amenities while I figure it all out. I get to enjoy the property without commiting to a major project first. :D

WalkingHorseLady
11-24-2006, 07:18 AM
Dear Carey,

I'm in Texas right now and I'm not single, but I just bought 5 acres in Sequim, Washington. Hopefully starting spring 2007 I will start building while hubby stays in Texas and runs our ranch. If you read this forum regularly you will see my posts as I start our march toward financial freedom, and if there is something you want to come see you can then contact me. I'll be living at the site in my horse trailer and you are welcome to come visit and even lift a hand if so inspired! :D

What I've learned from just this forum is immeasurable. I hope that my future posts covering my progress can one day help someone else. We are all scattered, but still all together in one goal.

WalkingHorseLady

thepizzaguy
11-24-2006, 10:00 PM
Unfortunately, I have a bizzare story, but it's all true.

My name is William. I live in Chicago Suburbs. In Novemebr 2003 I was delivering a pizza. I ran a stop sign, and 29 days later I was released from jail. As it turns out, I was arrested on a warrant some a "William", living in a different part of the state.

I spent a year argueing in court alone, and just over a year ago I found a lawyer. When we last spoke, he said that the sheriff lost his motion to dismiss and was found to be in contempt of court for failing to allow access to a judge 3 days after arrest. A simple instruction to the sheriff on EVERY warrant EVER issued.

So now he is going after the CHicago police for a false arrest on the warrant. The Warrant had previously been served to the suspect and justice had been done. There is also 2 different sets of fingerprints and photographs, of me and the other guy. The police either "knew, or should have known", through fingerprints, driver's license, photographs and the threatening phone call the police made to my mom the night I was arrested, that I was not the person wanted on the McHenry County Warrant.

I may not have the means today to build my dream house, but any day now, my lawyer is going to call me in to sign a few papers and I will have to choose between a new car, or real estate.

Real Estate is currently in the lead....

So that's it, I'm just a normal guy going through a strange situation.

Have a great day!

William

Keithm
11-29-2006, 01:56 AM
Hi all. I'm Keith, took the Labor Day Weekend class 2006. I'm currently living in Almaty, Kazakhstan and plan to move back to the States in 6-12 months. I've been looking online for land around Asheville, NC to build my first home. My parents bought a home there years ago for their retirement, and since then the property values have risen 300%. It's a gorgeous area that is popular with retirees, which is good for me because I plan to build a house and turn it rather than live in it. I'd love to get in touch with anyone who has built in the area or plans to within the next year or so.

julian357
12-10-2006, 09:44 AM
Let me pop in and say hello to everyone as well. I am exremely excited about the prospect of building my own log home. Have no debt other than car payments. We haven't taken the class yet but I think this evening my wife, Nerine, and I will be signing up for 2007. I really do not want to wait too long and for some reason classes not be taught any longer or for a long period.

We currently live in Reading, PA. Not a very nice city where I want to raise my son. My wife is a trauma nurse, so we can just about move anywhere and she'll be able to secure employment easily; so we are thinking maybe moving out west somewhere.

I am 38 and my wife 32, son jayden is 3 1/2. I believe whole heartedly that this is feasible for us...intimidating a ever, very scary since I have never built a home before...but I think I can do this.

Look forward to meeting some fo you one day perhaps and taking this class and being on our way to a more secure future.

Leo and Nerine Kozloski

kyle
12-10-2006, 01:33 PM
Welcome Leo and Nerine,

I live in Johnstown about 3 hours from you. I took the class March 2004 and I'll be starting construction on my log home this spring. Presently I'm peeling my logs and finalizing my plans. I highly recommend taking the class as soon as possible so that you can start planning your log home dream. Plus you'll have access to the member's section of this forum which has an abundance of questions and answers thats invaluable.

rreidnauer
12-11-2006, 03:25 PM
We currently live in Reading, PA. Not a very nice city where I want to raise my son.

Definitely an understatement. I'm about 30 miles from there, and I won't go there. #21 on the list of most dangerous cities, it ranks higher than places like Philly, Miami and LA. (but I have eyeballed them nice pine trees planted up there around Lake Ontelaunee :wink: )

jawasan
12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys/gals!! A "tiny bit" more to add...

I am a pretty mellow and reserved individual but trust me; I am as motivated inside as Keith is outwardly about a change in lifestyle and building our first home! Now I have only been reading the forums for a few weeks steadily, sometime hours on end, and already feel welcomed before even introducing myself. Seems a very diverse and extremely interesting group of people all working toward the same goal individually but still together. I love the whole mindset.
Good to see a few of you here are living in PA and also somewhat local. My wife and I are both willing to help out once we complete Febuary's class and are looking forward to doing so. Kyle? Rod? It would be 4 extra strong hands. :)

Wow Rod, we must of dropped in ranking cause I remember Reading being in like the top 10 for murder. I moved here 8 years ago from Kissimme, Florida and have watched this city steadily take a downward spiral. Sad.

How bad? A few weeks ago my wife and I are out back grilling some steaks and next thing you know a freakin' gun battle goes off in our back alley! Of course I hit the ground and the wife fell on top of me scrambling to move the hell back inside! We agreed before that incident we were moving out of this city. Only thing that "was" holding us back is her family is here..... but we're not that tight knit with them, so there are not any real obligations to stay.

Alright, 'nuff rambling. I will chime in on other posts and ask enough questions as it is.

Leo

BTW, Kyle and Rod, seriously we will be willing to take direction and lend a hand should we all be able to meet up one day before you both finish your homes.

vmwebster
12-17-2006, 12:57 PM
My husband, Ambrose will be attending the February 2,3 class (I think I have those dates) right.

It was good to see someone from Koscisuko, MS. I'm originally from Durant, MS. My parents work in Kosciusko.

We're really excited about the seminar.

We're in the process of looking for land to purchase.

I've read the site information, dozens of times - and even saw the anti Skip information on www.lhoti.com, but we're still geeked and he can't wait to attend.

Different strokes for different folks...

gordon
12-26-2006, 11:53 AM
Hello To All You Lovers Of Log Homes!

This is my first post. Gordon Forsythe is my name. I just wanted to introduce myself and say "HOWDY". Took the class 2 months ago in Oct. '06. great class. I've been reading all the posts, gathering tools, etc. I enjoy and learn from them all. Bought the "whole bundle" of stock plans from LHBA and have been reviewing them. Wow, what a deal! My order of dowels for the scale models should arrive any day now. Can't wait!

I live in Sonoma County, in northern California.. Been a real estate broker here for 20 years. However, I am in discussions with a friend of mine to buy his 5 wooded acres in Jackson Co in south-central Oregon. Should be able to go take a look at it after the holidays. If it is the right piece of land like he says, I will be building my first log home there this summer. If the parcel looks good in the middle of winter, it'll look great in the summer! If his parcel does not work, I'll find another one and get started on it with the permit process, log ordering, etc.

I appreciate Ellsworth and Steve for all they do for us members. I also appreciate all the great info being posted by the members. Keep it up! The tips are invaluable to me and I am sure others.If anyone is doing a log home project within driving distance of Sonoma Co, please let me know so that I can come over and help (and learn more).

Good luck to each of you in your home building projects.

Al
12-27-2006, 11:06 PM
Hello

My Name is Al Lowen and I much like others it seems bumped into the main site ,LHBA.org, while looking at kits not knowing any better. I first started wanting a log home by glancing at log home living mags and visiting a few kit places. I have not yet taken the class but am looking forward to taking it as soon as one opens after my move to WA around MAYish. More than anything thanks to all of you for putting up these sites so I could know that 1. it wasnt a scam and 2 I could get the info that i've picked up around here. I've always wanted to build my own home and now hopefully that can be a reality.

gumpond
01-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Hello everone,
Just signed on from beautiful Middle Georgia. Looking forward to learning a little and just swapping info.
Have a place on the river and need something larger and this is very appealing. Would be nice to be able to live full time where I currently spend my weekends. A way from all power poles and meter readers.
I have signed up for the March class and can't wait.

Greg

heidiree
01-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Hello all!

Glad to be here. I live way up in Northern Maine, where it is absolutely beautiful, and the perfect place to build a log cabin.

I am 24 and the hubby 25, and we are both Navy Intel vets and we have a soon to be 3 year old (his bday is Tuesday) named Jerry. I run an IT shop for a defense contractor.

I got out of the Navy a year and a half ago (originally from Louisiana and the hubby from South Dakota) and moved to Maine to, as we put it, retire. Soon as all the bills are paid off, we're going to start on our home, and never look back. Hope to take Skip's class within the next year but right now funds are tight. Trying to learn as much as I can from these forums but man, access to the members only would be nice!

Thanks everyone for the great posts!

ryoung99
01-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Greetings,

My name is Rick Young and I currently live in Shingle Springs, CA. I will be taking the class on March 24/25th.

The goal is to build a vacation home that we can eventually retire to in Northern California (lakefront), when I was doing research and stumbled accross this site I could not have been happier.

A former associate of mine, had the worst year of his life trying to build a "kit" home. One thing I knew was that I was not going to make that same mistake.

My wife and I have discussed a 3-5 year plan in which we would build the home. Once I have taken the class we will decide exactly how our project will work to balance work/life/building over the next couple of years.

Glad to have found LHBA!
Rick

christine
02-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Hi,
Just found out my family will be relocating from Chicago to Washington.We are looking at property in Snohomish and hopefully will higher a build to build our log cabin. What is the best way to find out the most information no building log cabins?
Thanks Christine :D

Greg M.
02-16-2007, 12:28 PM
Greg Midkiff
Family of 5
Attending the April 4,5 2007 class with my son
Currently live in Denton, TX
Plan to build near San Antonio
Want to pursue a homesteading lifestyle involving meat goats

Anybody on this forum build a log cabin in Texas?

The A Team
05-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Hello Everyone,
My name is Chuck and am a proud member of The LHBA !
I have been enjoying the reads in the forums... lots of good info!
This is my first post and am seeking logs for my project in East. Wash.
I want to start my building process this year, very exciting to read other builders successes! I will keep in touch... rats! I missed the recent meeting! Ya all take care! Chuck

bsebailey
05-09-2007, 08:17 AM
I am writing to say hello! I came across the LHBA while looking for homes, financial freedom, etc. I have always wondered about log homes. I think they are beautiful to look at but don't know how they "live". I am also very interested in financial freedom for my family. I am wondering if this would be a possibility for us. My husband and I are perfectly capable I just can't seem to get him interested. He says he'll take a look. I am wondering if we shouldn't read the suggested material and stuff to have a working foundation before I take the class. I don't know that he will. I would love any feedback, encouragement, etc. I am college educated, exercise pretty regularly, and am 35. I am tired of being a slave to everyday "bills, etc." Thanks! :D

rreidnauer
05-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I am writing to say hello! I came across the LHBA while looking for homes, financial freedom, etc. I have always wondered about log homes. I think they are beautiful to look at but don't know how they "live". I am also very interested in financial freedom for my family. I am wondering if this would be a possibility for us. My husband and I are perfectly capable. I just can't seem to get him interested. He says he'll take a look. I am wondering if we shouldn't read the suggested material and stuff to have a working foundation before I take the class. I don't know that he will. I would love any feedback, encouragement, etc. I am college educated, exercise pretty regularly, and am 35. I am tired of being a slave to everyday "bills, etc." Thanks! :D

First off, welcome to LHBA! :D

Now the nitty gritty. The decision to build your own home, especially if you wish to do it affordably as possible, must be unanimous. You said "family" so I assume you have at least one child, and such discussions should also involve them if they are old enough to understand what might happen. In a case of building affordably, one usually makes sacrifices, and often large ones at that. A good example of that may be selling you current home or getting out of a rented apartment, and living on the land your building upon, in a travel trailer or old mobile home. A family of three going from 1000~2000+ square foot house, to a 200~300 square foot camper will likely be very taxing. A teen who's not too pleased about lost privacy could be a disaster on a family. But if you prepare for it ahead of time, it can work.

Getting your husband interested is absolutely critical if this is going to work. Probably a good place to start is try and find out what causing his disinterest. Perhaps he doesn't like the idea of a lot of physical labor. Maybe he heard log homes (kit log homes) are high maintenance, or someone else's bad experience with a kit home. Maybe he thinks LHBA is a scam. Or perhaps he thinks you're just caught up in the idea of building your own place, and it will blow over. Whatever it is, finding out what it is, is the first key to proceeding.

By all means research the website and forum thoroughly. I'd never recommend anyone jump into something (especially this big) without educating themselves first. Heck, I'll even recommend you go over to www.lhoti.com and read the forums there and draw your own conclusion. That board is mostly populated by kit home contractors, and HATE (you'll see what I mean) Skip's butt and pass building methods.

And finally, building your own log home isn't for everyone. Like I said, the whole family must be behind it 100%. Once going, it takes a lot of persistance and hard work to get it done, but if living without a 30 year mortgage over head is a must, (as it is for me) then it's worth a few years of inconveniences and blisters. :D

Kola
05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Excellent points Rod! I will take 2-3 years of blisters and backaches to avoid 30 years of morgage headaches!

bse bailey,
There is a lot of great information on this forum to wet your whistle. Read whatever tickles your fancy and feel free to ask questions. Most of the folks here are self-motivated-self-thinking-DIY'ers ranging from 21 to 65 years old and come from all different walks of life. Men in their sixties have built their own loghomes and 2 women just recently built one!

There are lots of ways to get yourself a loghome and become self sufficient. Learn all you can, then make your decisions. The more you learn, the more options you will have. :)

Power to The People!

Cheers!
Kola

adubar
05-09-2007, 11:08 AM
bsebailey, Rod gives some good insight.
He is a wise man.

I would add that in winning over your family, you can start by doing little things that get them thinking about spending and living on less, spending wisely and finding ways to be more self-sufficient. This can be anything from how you go about shopping for meals and how your prepare them together as a family, to how you go about doing other projects around the home, such as gardening, repairs and recycling.

If you have family meals together (I really urge all families to make this effort), you can share your ideas and get theirs as well.

-A

Kola, I may not have had the opportunity yet to welcome you to the family!

Welcome!

Doesn't if feel like you've made a leap? There really is the "before" and "after" mindset, isn't there?

I look back at some of the correspondences we've all had over the past few months (year?) and I'm looking forward to your insights in the member's area.

Kola
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
adubar, thanks!

yeah, the class was everything and more! Best of all, the folks here are all inspiring and everyone works as a team. It isn't like.."thanks for taking the class and see ya later sucker". LHBA has got it all, Skips plans, great teachers in Ellsworth and Steve, engineers, building designers, electricians, bankers etc AND all the folks that have built their loghomes and some who build and sell them!

But the best thing is having friendships with LHBA members for life and sharing info on how to build and live free! ..not to mention all the other fun things we share....and it sures beats talking about birthdays and "old dirt". :wink:

Kola :)

wylde99
05-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Hello Everyone From Homer & Darleen,

We attended class April 4 and 5th of this year, and had loads of fun and met a lot of new people. We have our plans for a 40 x 40 and looking to build our model soon. We have 70 acres out in Courtland Virginia alas no trees on it. We have plans to start building next year.

Later

heep70
05-10-2007, 03:23 AM
Hi, stumbled across this site the other day while looking for answers on chinking. I am building a handcrafted log home from my own Doug-fir logs off my land. It is a short two story (half loft) around 1100 square feet. I have been picking at this project for many years now and it is time to wrap it up soon.

I took a class here is Washington state on log home building from a fellow many of you probably know. His name is Skip Ellsworth. I am still in touch with him on a occasional bases. Splinded fellow!

Kola
05-10-2007, 05:09 AM
Welcome heep70,

You will have access to a wide variety of information in the LHBA "members only" forum.
To get into the member sections click on the link and follow the directions.
See ya there! :D

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44

Cheers!
Kola

KingLewey70
06-18-2007, 07:02 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Travis. I took the class in May 2007. Looking forward to meeting everyone, and hopefully help out on some around the Indiana area if any one is building, and hopefully be building mine in the next couple of years.

Dutchfamily
06-19-2007, 06:18 PM
Hola everybody...

I have been a member of this forum for a little while now, but took my class last weekend. I must say, if you are still thinking about taking the class.... DO IT!!!!!!!!

Steve and Ellsworth did a great job, I was amazed how good this class was and how much info is given to you....

We are now planning our house, and continue our search for Land.....

we live in the Duvall, Carnation area and are looking to moving to Pierce County or so.....

Andre

Kola
06-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Travis and Andre!

welcome to Fantasy Island..smiles everyone ..smiles!!

da plane boss,, da plane!!

umm..thats from an old TV series..heh heh..I'll sit down now. :oops:

Kola

hawkiye
06-20-2007, 05:54 AM
Welcome to the dark side of loghome building there is no turning back now... :twisted:

Geoff
06-20-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi everyone :D

Took the class last weekend - money well spent!

Thanks to Steve & Ellsworth for doing a great job.

Hi to Patrick, Rob and Dutchfamily!

Regards - Geoff

Dutchfamily
06-21-2007, 10:36 AM
OH I agree with Geoff,

Money very well spend. I think the information in this class was worth the money and the resources given to you during this class are worth a million bucks..... (wink)

Good luck building Geoff keep me informed on the progress.

The way this class was set up was perfect, it was good for people who knew about building a little already but also perfect for those who know nothing about building at all. I think Steve and Ellsworth are great instructors and their knowledge of construction of log home and the building industry in general is just amazing....

Kola
06-21-2007, 11:01 AM
I must agree..the class rocked.

I think a HUGE asset is the LHBA forum which is packed with all types of info (even outside building a loghome).

I think Skips class should be mandatory for all students in schools (private and public) all over the world. Imagine.

hey..i like to dream.. :)

Kola

clnorrisiii
06-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Howdy all. To say I have been dreaming of a log home for a while is an understatement. I read what I could in high school MANY years ago and did my final lesson in Naval Instructor School on log home construction. I am currently looking for about 10 acres on which to build my final home, a log home. I am finally starting serious research on companies and construction methods.
Looking fwd to talking to ya'll.

kevinc
06-25-2007, 06:21 PM
howdee all , kevin c here from indiana via tennessee , just took class a couple weeks ago and things are moving right along , had land , found logs this week and gathering up nessecaties to get it on !! very glad that i decided to take the class and join up , steve and ellsworth are top notch dudes and i look foward to putting thier methods to work for me .
you'll be hearing from me

Kola
06-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Hey Kevin..its Hammer time!

now where are my old "parachute pants"???

"can't touch this"...bom bom bombom......bombom..bombom
http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/dance001.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)
MC Kola

2 cents
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
LOL!!! Kola, you just bubble over, don't you? :wink: (hehe, get it... kola, bubble over....)

Anyway.... I'm Angela, aka 2 cents, and my husband & I took the April 4th & 5th class this year.

We have land already, but alas, it had been logged before we bought it. We've had the perc test and waiting for septic permit, also working on getting water & power to the property, and I bought some dowels to start a model while we look for real logs. :)

2 cents

Kola
06-26-2007, 11:31 AM
welcome Angela..You shoud have some good choices for those doug fir logs in your area..Good luck!

Bubbles. :shock:

travman
07-06-2007, 06:43 AM
Good morning, everyone!
My name is (also) Travis and I took the class just a couple weeks ago in June '07.
Very impressed with the structure and the information in the class.
Although I am very excited about building, I am also a little overwhelmed. Since I don't have any land, I am not really sure where to begin. So in the mean-time I will try to make it to the meetings and BBQ's and jump on the forum. All the while saving my pennies. I live in WA state, so I'm afraid I'm gonna have to save a LOT of pennies for the land!LOL!!
Wish you all the best!

Kola
07-06-2007, 08:44 AM
welcome Travis, ( thats a good country name)( I wished I was named Levi)..anyway

read all the info here...get some ideas of what you want and then go land hunting. I think it is advantagous to select a piece of land that fits your ideas. It takes most folks about 2-3 years to get everything in order to begin the building process. (exceptions are rare but possible :)

There are lots of decisions to make as a owner-builder. (and your courage will be tested). It is a long haul and dedication and sweat are your highest costs. Take your time, enjoy the journey and stay focused on the finished product. It will be cherished for years and years.

Have fun,
Kola

tommygun
07-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Howdy, I'm new to the forum, and not as of yet a member of the association. I'm looking forward to joining, and participating in the class. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shark
07-17-2007, 05:28 PM
Howdy, I'm new to the forum, and not as of yet a member of the association. I'm looking forward to joining, and participating in the class. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bring a flashlight, it gets dark & the hill is steep :)

Welcome!

silcoxjh
07-18-2007, 03:24 AM
Howdy all!
My wife and I are very interested in taking the course and learning how to build our own log home. We figure we'd be stupid not to with our situation. We're both young, I'm 29, my wife is 30. We don't have kids. I work for a general contractor so borrowing equipment is no problem. I am a professional engineer so plans and all that is good. We have family members who are electricians, plumbers, and masons. All we really need is to take the class, buy some land, and get to work!
Is there anyone on the East Coast, close to Maryland, who has taken the course and built their own home using the methods taught and who would like to give us a tour? :)
We look forward to taking the next class!
Jay & Mandi

exstock
07-28-2007, 10:01 PM
My name is Elena House, and my husband Thomas and I expect to move to Snohomish county, WA, in the next few months. After looking at housing prices in the area (at least twice what they are just west of St. Louis where I currently live) I quickly came to the conclusion that the only way I could have the large parcel of land I wanted AND a house larger than a toolshed would be to build rather than buy. Not just build, but find some inexpensive alternative method--my favorite until I found this website was steel buildings. It occurred to me to look into log kit homes, and Google, bless its binary heart, took me straight here.

Not only is this exactly what I would have most wanted--including the part where I get to actually BUILD it myself rather than hiring others to do it--but the classes are only available in a town within minutes of my future homesite! Apparently God's mysterious way is sometimes to drop something right into your lap with a big ol' flashing neon sign attached.

Incoming
07-30-2007, 06:18 AM
I'm 57 living retired in Oklahoma and not wanting another job other than doing what I want when I want. I've got a couple connecting waterfront lake lots on a protected cove on Lake O The Pines just north of Jefferson, TX. I'd like to build a small vacation type 20'X30' log cabin with a loft and remain as far off grid as I can without making things too difficult on myself.

ClemsonFan
07-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Hi, I'm Lisa from South Carolina. I don't have land yet but in the process of looking. I have dreams of a log home in my near future. I hope to attend a class soon.
I'm looking for lots of information.

Thanks

Kola
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Welcome to all the newbies!

If you got the passion and energy to take charge of your life and DIY, you come to the right place!
Read all you can and post often.

Tuliplover
08-01-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi everyone. I'm a pastor of a Southern Baptist Church in Mt. Vernon,Illinois. Mt. Vernon is an hour east of St. Louis. I've been reading the log home builders website for over a year, and I'll be glad when I can attend a class. I just bought an acre of land that has a 3.5 acre lake, a prefect spot for my log home!! Lord willing, I'll be able to attend a class this fall, if one is offered.

Blessings to all,
Jim Duncan

Tuliplover
08-01-2007, 03:43 PM
Wouldn't it be great if we had our own chat room? Posting on the forum is great, but a chat would so much quicker. Just a thought

Peanut
08-01-2007, 06:51 PM
My wife and I have been visiting this site for a few months, and have been wanting to build a log home. We were thinking about the recent class in April, but circumstances wouldn't allow. A buddy of mine and I are anxiously awaiting the opportunity to sign up for the next class - love the website and looking forward to learning more!

Scott (Peanut)

Burger
08-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Hi All,

For over 20 yrs, I read in the UW Experimental Collage about a course on log homes... but never got around to taking it. sigh But after 25 yrs of Great Northwest / Seattle living (including 5 yrs of house remodeling and permit wrangling) I opted for a totally new experience, and moved to Scandinavia: Denmark, Sweden, and finally Norway. But it looks like I'm finally going to settle down in Latvia, and I'm considering purchasing some beautiful land overlooking a pristine lake, with two log homes: one is 100yrs old with need of repair, the other, a brand new shell, made from logs imported from Siberia! Both are in need of work to make them winter-hearty, and I plan on making additions of new buildings as well (log of course). So I'm sure I'll be pestering this great website with questions. Maybe I'll even try to come back home for a weekend workshop in Monroe... The locals are extemely friendly and knowledgeable (good thing my wife speaks Latvian and Russian, I don't, yet) I'll try and pick up any 'local tips' and would love to share/compare with LHBA ideas. Let me know if anyone has questions for this side of the pond!

Cheers,
Jim

turnerk
08-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Hello everyone!
I'm interested in the next available class, but I'm having trouble getting information. I've sent a couple of e-mails and left a couple of voicemails, but haven't heard back!

grannyk
08-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Hi all,
I have been coming to the forum for a few years now and we may
be on the verge of buying some land in the next week or two. So
if all goes well I am also hoping hubby and I can get into the next
class as we will need to begin building ASAP.
This is a great new forum guys, thanks for all your hard work!

God Bless Ya,
grannyk

grannyk
08-02-2007, 07:55 AM
Hi ClubMike!
Yup, we live in the midwest too, in Illinois near the Mo border.
We haven't attended a class yet but hope to soon.

God Bless Ya,
grannyk

davidb
08-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Russ: Consider looking in the Wells Grey Park area near Clearwater BC. Beautiful pristine area not too far from Edmonton and land prices still decent.

dano 828
08-03-2007, 08:34 AM
Hi Steve, Hi All, I'm Dan from Madison, Ohio. I just became a member, I look forward to talking with you all especially when I can take the classes and start my lifelong dream(goal) of building my first loghome(the right way:) )

rckclmbr428
08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Hey all, my name is Ronnie, and I am looking forward to taking the class next time it is offered, ( I have been wanting to take it for about 3 years now, but didnt have any $$) anyways, I have been interested in log homes for a while, and have worked building trail in the national forest here in VA for about 10 years, www.tri-statecompany.com and am looking forward to building, I have 20 acres in putnam wv, for logs, and am just looking for a few acres in VA to live on..and I need to take the class....waiting for the next one
Ronnie

turnerk
08-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Hell all!
I'm in the process of buying some land in Washington State and I would like to build a cabin on it in a couple of years. I'm having trouble getting information on how to sign up for the next available class. If anyone has any information that could help please respond!

jnwillia
08-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi,

I am just wondering if I could get some comments from other people who took the class who also started with no knowledge base, or if there are any books you suggest I read before taking the class that could be helpful?

I am really excited about taking the class and hearing your comments.

Thanks much,
Jen W

kyle
08-06-2007, 04:34 AM
Turnerk, there are no classes scheduled at this time, which is normal for the summer. Keep checking back every so often for updates since the classes are usually offered in the fall, winter, and spring.

Jnwillia, my recommendation is to take the class before doing any other type of planning. I had ideas on what I wanted to do before I took the class and they got changed (for the better) after taking the class. As for books...the class will suggest several books to read that will help with certain areas of the building process.

And welcome to both of you!

rdhawk
08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
Hi, I am awaiting for a class. I own a small plot of ground by a lg pond or small lake. It currently has a 75 year old vertical log cabin on the land. The footer boards are rotten and the logs are shifting. I had several contractors and an arctiect look at up and can't save it. I am now looking for options for rebuilding. If anybody has any information about saving the current structure I am all ears!! looking forward to class.

Sandi from PA

zato_ichi
08-07-2007, 11:11 AM
Welcome, I too am anxiously waiting on the next class.

in the mean time you might want to take some photos and contact these folks about your vertical log building. They seem to know a deal about them.

http://www.loghomes.co.za/index-2.htm

Eugene.wilson
08-07-2007, 08:24 PM
I have yet to take the course but do plan on taking it in the next couple years. I'll be moving to Philippines so i am curious if the log homes building strategies here in North America would work just as well over there or would a person need to modify the building strategies?

captjb98
08-08-2007, 06:22 AM
Saw the comment on the site about exclusions. I hope I'm not on the exclusion list. I've been a part of law enforcment for many years and love what I do as I love our people. We have dreams of becoming self-sufficient and mortgage free and have hopes of building a log cabin home in the mountains for our family. When I found your website I about flipped as it stood for everything I've always believed in. I hope I'll be given a chance to be a part of this.
Thanks
John B.

Kola
08-08-2007, 07:25 AM
Hi Captain JB,
Do LEO's take an oath to honor and uphold The Constitution/Bill of Rights?

Kola

captjb98
08-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Hello Kola:

Yes.

JB

Kola
08-08-2007, 09:48 AM
JB, That is good to know because I personally feel many LEO's do not know and/or understand the The Bill of Rights. Do all LEO's get training on these issues? In my past encounters with LEO's it was clear they had no knowledge of The Constitution/Bill of Rights nor were they interested in honoring or upholding them. This greatly concerns me.
Kola

jrdavis
08-08-2007, 09:56 AM
I took Skips class in Oct 1999. What a great time and then stuck around for the monthly meeting on the following Tuesday. I helped him set up the first email listing and played with Chip when he was 4. (I had to ask, too, cause I was afraid that FANG would jump out and get me!!!!!

My hand was tired of writing by the time the class was done. Nice to hear that there is a notebook now.
I am in the process fo getting land and logs to being in 2008. There are not alot of trees suitable for log home building in the IOWA/NEBRASKA area, so I'm having to go elsewhere.
I can get the logs cheap enough from the NFS or BLM (only a few have been helpful) but the hauling from Wyoming (closest) or California/Oregon/Alabama is enormous!!!
Still, its alot better to get the trees and pay the shipping so that I can fulfill the dream that started with Skip in 1999.
Thanks for the website .

jrdavis
08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Kola, (all others)
a GREAT BOR site is http://jpfo.org/borcampaign.htm
Support hem and you'll be "well read" by the time you're done.

James.

SW Iowa
Logless, but looking :+

knuckledragger
08-08-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey, I haven't seen anything about a list of exclusions. Just for curiousity's sake, what are the exclusions? I could understand not wanting someone in the class that has been unjustly badmouthing the LHBA on another website, but the guy above was worried about being excluded for being a police officer. I assume that that is just a misunderstanding, but I am a firefighter, (we commonly get grouped with the police and other emergency workers and rightfully so - we are all in emergency response work) and I just want to make sure I am not on the list because I really want to take the class in the future.

Don't get me wrong. I believe the LHBA has the right to refuse anyone from a class for any reason (it is their class, after all) I just haven't seen such a list of exclusions and did not know it even existed. I just want to make sure I am not on it before I get my hopes up any further.

Kola
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
ty JR. All and any information regarding these concerns are greatly appreciated. We need to start educating others about how this country was founded and understand what our forefathers gave us. We are slowly losing these rights...and we need to start exercising them before they are completely eradicated and/or taken away. We have been asleep way too long.

Kola

captjb98
08-08-2007, 03:11 PM
I was responding to "our famous two day log home class" on the home page. Click on it and it goes to a page that describes who may not join the association or attend the class. I was responding to that. At the bottom of the statement is my comment if you want to view it. I hope the exclusions don't include the likes of you and me. I have the same disdain for meddling government that many others have and the same hopes for my own family quest for self-sufficiency.
JB

knuckledragger
08-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Captjb98...
I just read the part you were talking about. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but even though we may get paid by the gov't, it would be hard to consider police and firefighters as bureaucrats. We fall more under the frontline, expendable, knuckledragging (thus the moniker) worker label. Bureaucrats love red tape. Most of us emergency workers hate red tape because it keeps us from doing our jobs efficiently. Bureaucrats want to control others. If we truly take our jobs seriously, we like going into situations that are a bit beyond our control in an effort to help others. Bureaucrats are all about power and prestige. Most emergency workers I know can really identify with the Garth Brooks song, "I've Got Friends in Low Places," and couldn't care less about prestige.

I have not attended a class yet, but my impression of the people I have dealt with on this sight and who I have talked to personally that have attended a class is that they are fed up with the meddling government you mentioned. No one can identify better with those frustrations than those of us who watch government bureaucrats and bean counters make daily decisions that negatively impact our ability to do our jobs well and do our jobs safely. My understanding is that the LHBA is all about helping the common man who isn't afraid of a little hard work reach his dreams, get ahead by avoiding a mortgage, and get a profound sense of satisfaction in the process. In a nutshell, they're our kinda folk.

papackbi
08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
My name is Stephen Smith, I found this site and have been hooked on the idea. I am married have four kids. I was reading the comment about exclusions and I hope military is not included. My wife and I hope to take the class early next year.
Has anybody looked into solar power for the remote cabins?

turnerk
08-09-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the info Kyle!

ezyplay
08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Steve & everyone. My wife & i are wanting to attend your next class. Any date set yet? We live 35 miles north of Houston, Texas. The humity here is a killer. We want to take your class, find somewhere to build and get started.
ezyplay
Jim & Judy Dorman

ezyplay
08-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Check out www.MotherEarthNews.com also check out www.solar-componets.com
Hope this helps! I also like the idea of using solar power.
Jim

Kimberley
08-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Hi I'm Kimberley.

I currently live in Rockingham near Perth, Western Australia. With my 5 dogs on a small suburban block. It doesn't quite meet my needs .... So I am looking at moving to 100 acres or similar and building my own home with the aim of living as close as possible to a self sufficient lifestyle - but hey I admit it I want some luxuries too.

I visited Alaska and Minnesota last year and loved the States, along with log cabins. I am really interested in attending the classes and learning how to build one for myself. I am also interested in hearing if anyone knows of a similar course in Australia.

Kind Regards
Kimberley
ps The Tipi idea sounds cool too but I dont think I could get away with it here

johnzilla
08-10-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi -

My name is John. I live in the Detroit area, in the great state of Michigan, the only state where you can use your right hand as a map! :)

I'm eagerly awaiting a new round of classes...building my own home using traditional methods is something I've wanted to do for a long, long time.

I like this site because it is a nice mix of practical advice with a financial twist. Most sites that try and teach you about finances and being financially independent don't give you real, practical information on how to do it, or have some sort of wacky scam they want you to follow.

I'm looking forward to learning lots of info in these forums, and will do my best to share in turn.

John

wwlivin
08-12-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi all,
I'm Wayne and I don't think I have introduced myself online. I put this post in the wrong place and reposting here in the introduction section. I am recently retired (winter of '05) to Mississippi, Starkville, home of Miss. State Univ. I took the Log home building course under Elsworth and Steve (excellent instructors!) in June'04 while living in Yakima Washinton.

I own approx 25 acres on a small lake 5 miles from town here in Starkville and have spent the last several years clearing land, road building, cutting trees for timbers and a storage building that will later be used as a lake pavilion/gathering place, and generally gearing up in preparation for cabin building. I am currently in the process of building a log cabin "skip style". In fact, just finished pouring my foundation piers this past week and have some forms for sale cheap if anyone in this area is interested. I will cut my trees for the cabin off my land this winter and will be debarking next spring, if all goes as planned.

I built a 34'x42' x 20' tall log shed/pavilion "skip style" last Nov. to test my block tackle concepts and to store my cabin 4"x10"x 20' timbers and lumber under. While pouring the foundation piers I also poured a outdoor privy foundation and will have it finished real soon. While I will have power and water when the cabin is built I am currently living in town and just use an electric generator and soon an outhouse while working on the cabin. The lake provides water for work purposes. I have lots of pictures and trying to learn how to make a website using photobucket. Once there I will share my experiances with anyone interested.

I took the class in '05 with seriousvol and recently drove to his place near Birmingham AL to see his progress. He is well ahead of me in the cabin building process and we talk log home building every time we get a chance. In addition to the class, I have gained a huge amount amount of knowledge from the LHBoNA forum.
wayne

Timberace
08-12-2007, 03:59 PM
Hello everyone. My name is Jason P. from Raleigh, North Carolina. I'm a NC Registered Forester, and plan to build a log home in the next five years or so. My brother and I purchased twenty wooded acres near Chapel Hill (UNC), and I plan to take the next class to kickstart the process. I have a number of contacts in the logging industry, which I hope will allow me to purchase the logs I'll need for the project. Look forward to reading this forum and learning along the way...

dankonefal
08-15-2007, 12:54 AM
Hi everybody! I attended the class in June '07 and asked Steve if I could play Skip's piano, since I'm a professional musician. www.dankonefal.net Maybe he remembers me. Anyway, he said the thing didn't work. I can relate, since my sister has a piano that's a great piece of furniture, too. I've been looking around for land and will be making an offer on a nice tract of land north of Pittsburgh maybe as soon as next week. Kyle, since you're in western PA like I am, maybe we can get together. Had a great time in Monroe and learned a heckuva lot. All the best, Dan Konefal.

kimcash
08-15-2007, 03:02 PM
hey. We are looking forward to an opportunity to attend a class. We would like to build in about two years. Living in SC/NC mountains...will it be difficult to find proper timber? Any advice for a family so far away from your home base?

Jakie
08-20-2007, 05:28 AM
My wife and I are in our early 50s, tired of the rat race, and want to be self sufficient, debt free, and off all the grids. The irony is that I am a Community Peace Officer who is tired of big brother, and am looking to go back to a simpler, more respectful. more decent time. I hope that building in the back woods of Alberta, where I have grown up and hunted, will allow for this dream to occur. I very much want to take the course, when the funds are available. (Money is being set aside as we speak--thanks Dave Ramsey!) God bless all of you like minded people. It tells me that there are still pockets of sanity in this crazy world. If there are any of you who reside in Alberta, or Canada, please don't hesitate to respond.

John

cnsilver
08-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Hi Steve, My husband and I just bought some land in NC. The previous owner had rough cleared a section for a house. He knocked down many hard woods with a bucket loader. As a result we had to have a bull dozer smooth it out for a pad. We are now left with many downed trees. We want to use these trees in the building of a log "shed" that could be some day be used as a guest cottage. Any suggestions are very welcome.

cnsilver
08-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Hi there, Where are you located in mountains? My husband and I just bought property in MillSprings outside Tryon. Maybe we can help each other.
Charlotte

arthome
08-21-2007, 10:07 PM
Hi, my name is Lindy and I'm an artist living in Bend, Oregon. I just discovered this web site the other day and it came at a very good time! I want to learn all I can about building a log home. I read that taking the class 2 years in advance before you want to start building would be a good idea and that would fit right into my timeline. So I would love to take the next class! If there is anyone in Bend who is going through this same process, I would love to hear from you.
By the way, I also have an 18 ft. tipi that is very cool (I read about Kola's tipi in the Forum) and I could see somebody getting one and living in it while they build their log home. Mine is used for other things besides living in but it is pretty sweet!
Thanks for having this Forum...I hope to learn a few things from it.

delfinefrancis
08-22-2007, 05:23 AM
It seems like the people who took this course has not built anything yet, is it that complicated or what because I am planning to take this class soon and it seems like it would be better for me to take a course that would be offered longer, like at the Lasko school of loghome building, I do have land but just need to build the log home or is it more difficult than having the land already, please someone help me and let me know what to do, THANX

rreidnauer
08-22-2007, 08:47 AM
It seems like the people who took this course has not built anything yet, is it that complicated or what because I am planning to take this class soon and it seems like it would be better for me to take a course that would be offered longer, like at the Lasko school of loghome building, I do have land but just need to build the log home or is it more difficult than having the land already, please someone help me and let me know what to do, THANX
You will find some who do go on to build immediately after taking the class, but you are right, that most don't. The main reason is simply, the class teaches you how to build in the most affordable method possible. (hence, avoiding mortgages and striving for a debt free life) To do that, it usually involves finding great deals on everything from hand tools to land, and to do that, it involves time. Of course, you can custom tailor your build schedule to the amount of time/money you have to spend. It's not complicated, just that if you want to do it for the best price possible, you need the time to find the best prices. For example, say you are working on a project and you need a certain tool. You go out and buy it for retail and get back to what you were doing. Now say instead, that you are planning a future project and know you'll need this tool. You can take the time to wait for a sale, find a deal on a used one, etc., and save XX% from what you'd spend retail.

The class says prepare for two years. I thought it ridiculous that it would take that long, but here I am at 2 years, 4 months. How time flies!!! But I'm getting close to that goal of building. The biggest amount of time spent, has been liquidating unnecessary assets and finding the right property for the right price. But that's OK, since it's left me plenty of time to stockpile tools and research information for this eventual build.

The main thing you need to think about, is to not think with conventional thinking!!! LHBA's teaching methods are outside the typical mindset, through common sense pathways seldom seen anymore these days. If you take the course, set aside typical thinking and be prepared to have an eye opening experience!!!

Markbe22
08-22-2007, 10:03 AM
Hello everyone.

I took the class in May and bought my first tool, a Toyota pick up truck, in June. Since then I have almost completed my backyard storage shed, stick and frame at 8 X 12 feet, in my backyard in Maryland. I am about 80% done and this little project allowed me to become familiar with the tools I have purchased and learn how to "try" to build things square, level, and plumb.... Also, to show my wife I can actually build something worthwhile.

This has been a great educational experience and is preping me to start my log cabin. I plan to put in the foundation in early Oct and then the shell and roof in the summer of '08. It takes about 10 hrs to drive to my land up in Maine so I have to plan efficiently and do a lot of coordination by phone.

Anyone want to talk about Maine and logs, supplies, etc. just hit me back...

Mark

shawnis
08-23-2007, 07:36 PM
I don't remember how I stumbled upon this site but I'm thoroughly hooked now. My wife and I plan on taking the class in the very near future.

I've always taken to stories of self sufficiency and not falling into the debt trap. I've always been keen on building my own place in the woods somewhere. If I could retire today I would do it. There are so many interesting things to learn and do in this world that having to work a full time job to put food on the table really puts a damper on everything. Know what I mean?

I grew up as a lower middle class blue collar guy in the great midwest but through hard work I'm trying my best to work my way up the social ladder. I'm currently living in VA because of my job but I've really been a "Cheesehead" all my life (i.e. from WI). In the next few years I should be able to move back there permanently and this is where I plan to build "the log home."

I'm a Computer Engineer working as an Examiner at the Patent Office. Technically I'm some kind of an evil bureaucrat. (If it makes you feel any better the Patent Office has never taken a dime of taxpayer money. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning then dealing with someone like me.) I'm quite Libertarian in my political views, and yes, I swore an oath to uphold the Constitution. I am an advocate of freedom, believe freedom stems from well-enforced property rights, and view taxation as a form of slavery. (You should hear the shocked responses from people on that last one!)

My wife and I own a house on ~2 acres of land. We plan on adding another building which will serve as an office so we can work from home. It's the perfect starter project to test the theories taught in the class, I think. Since it will be a good 2 years or so before we can move back, taking Skip's class now seems like a very good idea.

wwlivin
08-26-2007, 04:31 PM

delfinefrancis,
I took the class in June of 2004. I was not in a position to build until I retired here in Mississippi in 2005, but started gathering tools. Since I've retired (age 63) I have started the process of building a 30'x30' two story cabin with large porches.

I have already cleared land, cleared a road/ had gravel road built, cut large trees to cut my timber/lumber, built a 34'x42' pavilion/storage shed to test out building tools and debarking techniques, built forms for and poured concrete piers for the cabin, and almost through with my outdoor privy(will use until cabin is built).

Yes, I learned a lot from the LHBoNA course and I have and am building for the first time (and loving it!). Please check out photoss of progress at this URL:

http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa19/wwlivin/?start=all ; and good luck with your decision to move ahead.

wayne

Steve Meek
08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Hello All,
I have been a member of this site for a couple of years now. I have not had a chance to make a class yet. I moved to Viriginia Two years ago.
I purchased a cabin in the woods. Now I would like to sell some land. I know when I moved here I was looking to build. Now I would like to get back on tract with that vision.

Love the new site, Thanks Steve.

noradavis
09-01-2007, 06:25 PM
My name is Nora. My husband (Ernie) and I live in Florida, but own land in Coldwater, Mississippi. We are awaiting a class so that we can build our dream log home. I look forward to the class and meeting other ower builders. Please contine to share pictures, information, and definitely new class schedule with us.

gr8art
09-04-2007, 10:51 AM
Hello; My name is Ken, and I'm in Bend, Oregon. With no classes scheduled; what benefits are there for new people coming in? I'm looking forward to someday being able to build my own log home. I've purchased books on the subject; but there's no substitute for hands on experience. I'm assuming that everyone who has joined the LHBA has taken the class. (or am I missing something?)

derail18
09-04-2007, 11:08 AM
My name is Daryl..from Memphis, TN. I am very interested in learning more about log cabins. I eventually want to experience this and get out of the rat race...what does everyone think??

artc1
09-04-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi

I am trying to absorb as much as I can to get a feel for what's involved with this log thing. I have 40 treed acres of pines and oaks in the Sierra foothills. It just seems like building a log cabin myself seems like the right thing to do! I've looked at kits and prefabs and all seems OK but I got a feeling that for the same money I could do soooo much more if I do it myself! Just wait'n for a class I can attend.

I can do all things through Christ

ChainsawGrandpa
09-04-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey artc1,

Let me know if you're taking the class soon. Maybe I
can coordinate picking up my insulation with your plane.
If alll works out ok I'll give you a ride to the class.

-Rick

Klapton
09-04-2007, 11:33 AM
Hello; My name is Ken, and I'm in Bend, Oregon. With no classes scheduled; what benefits are there for new people coming in? I'm looking forward to someday being able to build my own log home. I've purchased books on the subject; but there's no substitute for hands on experience. I'm assuming that everyone who has joined the LHBA has taken the class. (or am I missing something?)
There's a sticky thread in this forum http://www.loghomebuilders.org/how-get-members-section-updated .

It says you can't get into the members forum until after you take the class. I'm guessing it's to keep the member forums from getting flooded with noobish questions that will usually be answered in the class anyway. I know I'm full of those questions, hehe. I've read every article in the "articles" section here, and read every post since I registered for the forums here.

But I do also feel sometimes like everything is under the Dome of Silence (tm) until you take the class, lol. And for those of us who are eager to learn, it can be an impatient wait.

rreidnauer
09-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Yea, the site, as well as the public portion of the forums is a great primer for the class. Klapton has some of it right, by keeping the questions commonly answered during the class, out of the member's portion of the forums. But there's more to it than that. A lot of the things discussed can get get rather technically involved, and someone who hasn't taken the class, doesn't have the "whole picture" of the construction technique. It could be a hazard to someone attempting to build their own home with only part of the information needed. It's sort of a CYA, (cover your assets) so please don't feel as if it's an exclusive club that's trying to keep you out until you pay your dues.

So please look over the site and forum, and if you got more questions then, by all means ask. One way or the other, you'll get an answer, whether it be what you wanted, or we'll politely let you know if you've delved into a section too technical to be discussed outside the member's portion.

gr8art
09-04-2007, 01:57 PM
I guess I'm just kinda confused a bit concerning how to become involved. Let me put it this way....Lets say you are interested in buying a 1965 Dodge Dart. You find my website advertizing 1965 Dodge Dart for sale; but when you inquire; I have no car for sale at this time. I might have a Dart for sale eventually; but not for awhile. You want to learn more about the Dodge Dart; but on my website; only Dart owners can discuss it. It's kinda like the old saying "You can't get there from here". I don't mean to be a smart alec. I guess I'm just trying to make my point light heartedly. I keep hearing about the class; but there is no class; and there are no definate plans to schedule a class. Therefore I'm a bit confused :)
Anyways; I hope there will be one. I really am interested. I'll check back in a few weeks

Ellsworth
09-04-2007, 02:28 PM
If you have questions about class dates, or other Association/class related issues, feel free to email <a href="mailto:info@loghomebuilders.org">info@loghomebuilders.org</a>?and our staff will try to answer them.

I think you'll find that most?questions (including scheduling questions) are already answered in the <a href="/categories/about-us/about-our-class">articles about our class</a>.?

Baring any unforeseen circumstances, we should have a class date posted within about a week.

As to the Dodge Dart, sorry can't help you... but I might have an old '68 Ford Galaxy -- if you don't mind a high rust to metal ratio, as well as some moss, mold, mildew, mice, et cetera. ?;)

christopher
09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
Hello everyone. I am from Calgary, Canada, and I took the class in September, 2006. This class was the best thing I have done, since marrying my wife of course. I have just finished peeling logs to build an electrical shed in the spring of 2008, so I can get the building process down before building the 16.5 x 16.5 shed. This has become a passion of mine since meeting Steve and Ellsworth and having aquired the awesome skill they are sharing with us all. I can't wait to complete my dream someday soon, and return to Skips home to shake thier hands. Cheers! everyone. I also would like to say that this forum is full of so many good people who share thier time and ideas to help everyone. Thank-u

Kola
09-04-2007, 05:47 PM
For all newbies dying to take the class:

I suggest we meet in Washington, assemble and have a briefing.
We will then gather the troops, construct our signs, paint our faces in LHBA colors and march the streets to Skips 7000 sf home.
Our Chant: WE WANT THE CLASS!!
We will circle the parking lot in a peaceful manner.
We will not eat or drink,
We will not rest until we are taught the laws of the Skip B&P design.
ARE YOU WITH ME COMRADES??

(sound of calvary bugles)

at ease soldiers.
Sgt. Kola, 12th logborne division

Klapton
09-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Sorry bud. Can't do the hunger-strike thing. I can spam forums though. I'm good at that!

Kola
09-04-2007, 06:10 PM
Sorry bud. Can't do the hunger-strike thing. I can spam forums though. I'm good at that!

Yeah, I read your posts.
I am glad you can entertain yourself bud.

sayanara,
Kola

papackbi
09-04-2007, 10:08 PM
I like the face paint, but what about more of a tailgate atmosphere?

artc1
09-05-2007, 07:11 AM
Hi rbuchanan_2 and the rest,

I use to take flying lessons back when I was a pup. A long time ago. I don't have a plane though. I think you ment "our" plane? any how we can talk.

I am thinking about combining log home building and rammed earth builing into one. Waduya think; can that happen?

lbrowne
09-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Baring any unforeseen circumstances, we should have a class date posted within about a week.

For all who've been "patiently" waiting and any who may have missed this. :)

~ Linda

Tripped
09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Just wanted to stop in and say hi. My Name is Dave I am from Durham NC. I came across this site completely by accidental curiosity. I am traveling to the Philippine's and looking for a place to stay and lo and behold found Skips Resort which led me to here which got me posting and so on and so on.

1window
09-07-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey there, My wife & I have been looking for land near Sandpoint for about a year. We'd like to find 5-10 acres. Sandpoint is really growing! When will you build your log home? We'd love to come by for a visit.

Mark, 1998 grad

pinecone pam
09-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey there all! I'm new to this site but a long time member and log home junkie. I did take the class a long time ago, and guess what newbies? I had to wait then! Be patient. If you're building a log house, you better get used to it. Anyway, I do live in my Skip house on Camano Island and have to say, "What a rush!" It's the coolest thing I've ever been a part of. I have two friends currently mid-stride near-by. Both at the chinking stage. The dream lives on. For those of you who question if people actually follow through with this: Those building houses don't have time for on-line discussions. If you want to talk to them, show up at their building site with gloves on.

And also, who's building a house out here on the island named Dave? Have him contact me if anyone knows.

Happy building!

kyle
09-08-2007, 03:55 AM
Hi Pam. Glad you could join us here on the forums. I'm sure since you've already built that your input will be greatly appreciated!

To answer you question about "a Dave building on the Island"...I'm pretty sure you are thinking of username "rocklock". Unfortunately the private messaging isn't working yet with the new site so you might want to post a message in the members section for him to contact you.

PS...if you are able we all love eye candy and would love to see pics of your home.

pinecone pam
09-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Nice to be here! Ah, that explains it. He's been by here and I did meet him. That also explains where my house popped up on another site in debate about Skip's method! His pic was attached but I didn't recognize it. Another mystery solved! I'll try to get you some pics!

gunner2pilot
09-12-2007, 01:32 AM
Hello, all. I love the forums - there is so much good information. Thanks to Steve and Ellsworth for getting this together.
I'm in NE Washington with a few acres and trees, but little timber. Looking forward to actually building with Douglas fir (after sinking the well - ouch).
I have more time as of late to get on the forums. I appreciate the sense of community here. Cheers, Ken

greenthumb
09-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Pinecone Pam- I have seen some pics of your place(recognize camano island and the 'other site' ; ) and must say it is beautiful! I think the pics were only posted temporarily though, so we'd love to see more!

To the new guys that haven't taken the class yet- watch for members signature lines- they often include a link to their construction pictures. I warn you that you won't learn enough by looking at the pics to get away without the class, but it sure is motivating and encouraging to actually see someone else actually taking what is taught in class and DOING IT.

I think there are nearly as many members currently building and posting pics, as there are on the 'Log Home of the Month' page. I can't begin to guess how many members are building, that don't even visit the forums. I hope to break ground soon myself.

artc1
09-14-2007, 09:34 AM
Hello to all new California folk. Ragdump I'm from your area. Maybe we'll hook up in class.

ArtC1

JD
09-14-2007, 12:11 PM
Hello, everyone. I joined a few weeks ago and am anxious to attend the next class. I live in Virginia but will be moving to Alabama (DeKalb County) when I retire in 2-3 years. My plan is to build my own place then help my kids build theirs. I already have the land with timber. I have the free work force (kids). Now I just need the know how. Looking forward to the next class so my son and I can attend.
JD

simmonsel1
09-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Hello all! I'm new here and just wanted to say hi. I'm from northern VA looking to try to get into veterinary school at VA Tech in a few years (4 or 5...I'm taking my time since I work full time as well). I was looking at log home kits websites when I stumbled on this one. Boy, am I glad I did! I told the boyfriend about this and whetted his appetite a bit...now we are both extremely excited to get into a class and learn if this is something we can do. I think it would be a very cost effective way to live while in school and not have to stuff me, him, two dogs and two cats into some little apartment! I'm looking for some land now - just putting the feelers out. However, I'll probably wait until the class to make any purchase. I haven't been this excited since I was a kid at christmas :-)

I'm looking forward to conversing with you in the forum and possibly meeting some of you at a later class! It sounds like many of us are hard-charging toward the next available class - see you there!

-Erica

stump
09-17-2007, 12:22 AM
Hi Folks:
I've been a member for almost two years now and I've moved home to Nova Scotia, Canada. Anyone else near me? My brother and I are building off the grid on a 40 acre woodlot, cutting trees off the land and hauling them into the building site. We built a Butt & Pass shed on the site so we could have a practice run at log building, and have a place to house our tools. We're almost done the shed and we'll be starting a cabin next spring. The whole process has been lots of fun, exercise, and learning. I look forward to hearing of other people's progress with their projects.
Cheers,
Stump

CanuckistanKork
09-19-2007, 08:01 AM
Initially didn't see this thread and started a new one saying hi. Whoops!

You can call me Kork. I'm Canadian but living in Colorado now. Looking forward to building a log home on some mountain property here with hub and sons--family project! I already have a log cottage in Canada. I don't need convincing how great they are, and not that hard to build, but my hub might. See my thread in the general discussion area. Any suggestions on helping to convince him are welcome!

Hurtin Albertan
09-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Hey everyone:

I'll be coming down for the October 07 course. See you all there.

Upers
09-19-2007, 02:47 PM
Hurtin,

I will be there as well. There are a few others who have posted that are going alsol.

Pat

CanuckistanKork
09-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Stump, this may sound like a strange question but have you ever lived in South Korea?
I'm asking because I heard about a Maritimer named "Stumpy' who lived in Seoul while I was there. He's become a bit of a legend in ex-pat ESL teaching circles. Largely for convincing his Kiwi friends to swing a previously-squished-by-a-vehicle dead CAT by its tail around a very expensive nightclub one night.
It gets crazier :)

jetster
09-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Hi I'm Todd from north Arkansas, ( about 17 miles south of Branson, Mo.) My wife Shirley and I are planing on building as soon as we can. We were planing on buying a kit home and was doing some research and found this site. Now we're going to build it our selves..... Would love to attend the class in Oct. 2007 but will have to wate for the next one... if anyone in the area is building and needs some free labor let me know at jet_ster_98@yahoo.com I've been a mechanic for well forever. I love what i've learned allready here and cant wate till we can attend the class...

well from a razorback to everyone thanks........

mtims540
09-22-2007, 09:20 AM
Hey,

My name is Tim and I signed up for the Oct 07 class. Will I recieve any confirmation of my application, other than my credit card having been charged?

Thanx